News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

VDOT tweeted this today. The western end of DoG Street in Williamsburg in 1932–shortly before CW was established–versus now.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jmiles32

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/07/mclean-residents-push-for-va-beltway-on-ramp-closure/slide/1/
QuoteWASHINGTON — The Virginia Department of Transportation plans to close an on ramp from Georgetown Pike to the Capital Beltway after complaints about rush-hour traffic in McLean.

The ramp from Virginia Route 193/Georgetown Pike to the Inner Loop, just before the American Legion Bridge into Maryland, would be closed from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. The ramp would remain open at other times.

Under a second less-favored alternative, VDOT could instead ban left turns onto the ramp during the afternoon rush. That would require more police enforcement and would largely continue current Beltway slowdowns, a VDOT presentation said, but could be implemented by the state without federal approval.

Closing the ramp is projected to slow traffic on the Beltway between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. as drivers approach Virginia Route 123 and the Dulles Toll Road, but traffic models predict speeds would slightly increase between the Toll Road ramp and Clara Barton Parkway. Combined, the changes are projected to get more drivers through the area in the same amount of time, even if each driver may sometimes be moving more slowly than before.
QuoteThe proposal to close or limit access to the ramp comes after complaints from McLean residents about people using the roads in the area to avoid rush-hour traffic jams. This particular suggestion was initially marked as potentially too significant a disruption to implement, but the review has found it could be reasonable.

Wouldn't be surprised if any of these "complaints" involved large sums of cash. Regardless, has a solution such as this one been implemented anywhere else in the state or country? Seems like a relatively new idea, at least around here.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 17, 2018, 09:34:16 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if any of these "complaints" involved large sums of cash. Regardless, has a solution such as this one been implemented anywhere else in the state or country? Seems like a relatively new idea, at least around here.

My guess is that this will be vetoed by FHWA, and if it were to be approved, would be the subject of federal litigation.  I do not think that persons living near an interchange should normally be allowed to have any say-so in what ramps are open and when.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

Quote from: cpzilliacusRegardless, has a solution such as this one been implemented anywhere else in the state or country? Seems like a relatively new idea, at least around here.

Yes.  I-64 in Norfolk...the on-ramp from 15th View at the end of Willoughby Spit (towards the HRBT) is often closed when traffic in the HRBT is backed up.  Routinely ignored by drivers, though, who have been known to detour up the OFF-ramp at 15th View instead in a very illegal fashion.

So, yes...there's precedent for this within VDOT.

AlexandriaVA

This will simply distribute vehicles down other streets, but so long as residents of Langely and McLean don't have drivers passing through *their* neigborhoods it's no big deal.

Ironically, this problem is exacerbated by the lack of a proper street grid that way, so everyone is forced to used Georgetown Pike. If this passes through, expect further petitions.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on July 17, 2018, 02:16:56 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacusRegardless, has a solution such as this one been implemented anywhere else in the state or country? Seems like a relatively new idea, at least around here.

Yes.  I-64 in Norfolk...the on-ramp from 15th View at the end of Willoughby Spit (towards the HRBT) is often closed when traffic in the HRBT is backed up.  Routinely ignored by drivers, though, who have been known to detour up the OFF-ramp at 15th View instead in a very illegal fashion.

So, yes...there's precedent for this within VDOT.

That's to make I-64 (and especially the HRBT) run better, and could be construed as a form of ramp metering.  Not the case with the approaches to the American Legion Bridge, which is (by comparison) short and has none of the operational challenges of a bridge tunnel crossing. 

Barring traffic from this ramp will probably not make any difference to the way that I-495 operates (though VDOT can test that with a microsimulation model if they choose), since it routinely fails from the area between VA-123 and VA-267 headed in  the direction of the bridge.

The unfortunate  part of this is that the people on the Virginia side of the crossing are effectively victimized by the anti-car and anti-highway ideology of more than a few members of the Montgomery County Council (going back as far as 1970).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

VDOT press release:   Major Lane Closures on I-395 Over Weekends Starting July 20 - Multiple lanes to close during six weekends for bridge improvement work

QuoteTravelers should expect major lane closures on the I-395 general purpose lanes beginning the weekend of July 20-22, and continuing for at least six consecutive weekends, depending on weather. The weekend closures, which will occur from Friday nights until Monday mornings, are needed for crews to safely rehabilitate multiple bridges along I-395 between the Springfield Interchange and the Washington, D.C. line. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes. If travel in this area is unavoidable, drivers should use caution and plan extra travel time.

plain

This past weekend I drove to Newport News to meet up with my mother, brother and sister-in-law, then we all rode to Charlotte to attend a family reunion.

While on US 58 I had a chance to snap photos of the new Courtland interchange (the eastern junction) while my brother drove. Note that construction is still ongoing. Sorry about the quality of the pics as I didn't realize there was a smudge on the lens until later. The first 6 pics are WB, while the last one is EB (return trip).

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

Beltway

Quote from: plain on July 23, 2018, 08:51:55 PM
While on US 58 I had a chance to snap photos of the new Courtland interchange (the eastern junction) while my brother drove. Note that construction is still ongoing. Sorry about the quality of the pics as I didn't realize there was a smudge on the lens until later. The first 6 pics are WB, while the last one is EB (return trip).

I drove thru there a couple weeks ago.  Nice improvement.  The ramp terminals on each side have a roundabout, and there is a bridge about 600 feet long over wetlands on the relocated secondary road.  There is a lengthened accell lane eastbound that provides a much better access to the 7-11.

http://www.virginiadot.org/Projects/Hampton_Roads/asset_upload_file808_88394.jpg

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hamptonroads/courtland_interchange.asp
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

Quote from: Beltway on July 23, 2018, 09:04:08 PM
Quote from: plain on July 23, 2018, 08:51:55 PM

I drove thru there a couple weeks ago.  Nice improvement.  The ramp terminals on each side have a roundabout, and there is a bridge about 600 feet long over wetlands on the relocated secondary road.  There is a lengthened accell lane eastbound that provides a much better access to the 7-11.

http://www.virginiadot.org/Projects/Hampton_Roads/asset_upload_file808_88394.jpg

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hamptonroads/courtland_interchange.asp

Yeah I'm going to drive there myself next month to get a look at the entire thing. While I'm not much of a fan of roundabouts at interchanges, this looks to be done right. Huge improvement for this area. Now if we can just get the ball rolling for an interchange at the Franklin Bypass' western juction then that will be great too.

Beltway

Quote from: plain on July 23, 2018, 09:18:54 PM
Yeah I'm going to drive there myself next month to get a look at the entire thing. While I'm not much of a fan of roundabouts at interchanges, this looks to be done right. Huge improvement for this area. Now if we can just get the ball rolling for an interchange at the Franklin Bypass' western juction then that will be great too.

Sufficient right-of-way was acquired in the 1980s when the bypass was built.  Still no signals there yet.  Do you think the demand exists for an interchange?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6824904,-77.0105465,749a,35y,87.89h,44.75t/data=!3m1!1e3

(Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

Maybe. I did notice a line of cars waiting to make the left from US 58 EB to the business route. Not sure how many accidents (if any) occur at this location though.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on July 23, 2018, 09:48:45 PM
Quote from: plain on July 23, 2018, 09:18:54 PM

Sufficient right-of-way was acquired in the 1980s when the bypass was built.  Still no signals there yet.  Do you think the demand exists for an interchange?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6824904,-77.0105465,749a,35y,87.89h,44.75t/data=!3m1!1e3

Unless any such interchange is dirt cheap, it likely won't be funded by Smart Scale regardless.

https://fredericksburg.com/news/transportation/study-rates-benefits-of-three-options-for-new-or-improved/article_0f208bdc-72fe-5f5b-89f9-3b75c190c0cb.html
Speaking of new interchanges, Fredricksburg area officials are currently spit on whether they should pursue a new(and desperately needed) interchange at either Celebrate Virginia(Exit 131) or Harrison Road(Exit 128). Both the FAMPO study and I believe that a Harrison Road Interchange/Widening would be far more beneficial. However, due to the Celebrate Virginia interchange being predicted to cost way less($53.7 million to $160.9 million) it appears likely that this will be the project that next year gets submitted to Smart Scale. My overall point is that unless either Smart Scale receives more state funding or local governments drastically increase their own share of funding, expensive yet beneficial potential transportation projects across the state won't have a chance.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 24, 2018, 09:54:40 AM
Unless any such interchange is dirt cheap, it likely won't be funded by Smart Scale regardless.

No such thing anymore ... the US-58 Courtland East interchange cost $15 million for construction and $6 million for R/W and PE.  Pretty typical cost nowadays in rural VA.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on July 24, 2018, 03:47:28 PM

No such thing anymore ... the US-58 Courtland East interchange cost $15 million for construction and $6 million for R/W and PE.  Pretty typical cost nowadays in rural VA.

Smart Scale?  It was featured very prominently in a briefing I attended that was presented by a VDOT staff person from Central Office - and the presenter made no mention of it not being current VDOT policy.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 25, 2018, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 24, 2018, 03:47:28 PM

Smart Scale?  It was featured very prominently in a briefing I attended that was presented by a VDOT staff person from Central Office - and the presenter made no mention of it not being current VDOT policy.

In fact, a project was just rescored under Smart Scale guidelines at the CTB meeting last week.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

^ I don't think Scott was referring to Smart Scale.  The way I read his post, he's saying that there's no such thing as "cheap interchanges" anymore...even in rural areas, citing the $21M cost for the Courtland East interchange.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on July 25, 2018, 05:05:40 PM
^ I don't think Scott was referring to Smart Scale.  The way I read his post, he's saying that there's no such thing as "cheap interchanges" anymore...even in rural areas, citing the $21M cost for the Courtland East interchange.

Exactly!

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

https://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/ct-vdot-receiving-bids-for-projects-at-busy-albemarle-intersections/article_bfc7268a-8fad-11e8-a4a2-ab7a3f0f2deb.html

CT: VDOT receiving bids for projects at busy Albemarle intersections 
By Josh Mandell | Charlottesville Tomorrow
Jul 24, 2018

The Virginia Department of Transportation currently is receiving bids to design and build a bundle of projects at highway intersections throughout Albemarle County. The estimated cost for all six projects is $37.5 million.

On Monday, the Pantops Community Advisory Committee was briefed on the largest of these projects: a diverging diamond interchange on U.S. 250 at Exit 124.

See URL for rest, and plan view of I-64/US-250 interchange.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Okay.  Agree with that.  Even in places where land is supposed to be cheap, interchanges still get expensive. 

The relatively simple ramp that carries U.S. 17 South (only) traffic where it diverges from U.S. 15/U.S. 29 in Opal, Fauquier County, still managed to cost about $45 million.

Joke Insurance

Quote from: dfnvaRidgefield Road (posted as SR 3300) was built in Prince William County (Dale City) between Dale Blvd. and Prince William Pkwy sometime around 2003 or 2004. It's, for the most part, posted at 50 mph. Is this part of what would've been included in the Ridgefield Road you're referring to?

Quote from: froggieYes, but extending in both directions from what PWC actually built, based on the 1969 plan.  To the south, it would have tied into Cardinal Dr at Minnieville Rd.  To the north, I would not characterize it as "parallel to Yates Ford Rd" as CP suggested because the planned river crossing was closer to Occoquan than it wa to Yates Ford (at the bend in the river closest to Springwoods Dr). The Monticello Freeway proposal I mentioned above was far closer to Yates Ford than Ridgefield Rd would have been.

On the Fairfax County side, Ridgefield Rd would have tied into Lee Chapel Rd (SR 643) at 123. The main things it would have done were provide another local river crossing and enable denser development between Prince William Pkwy and 123 than currently exists (especially on the Fairfax County side). As CP noted, it would have not really helped I-95.

About a month ago, I was at the City of Fairfax Regional Library and glanced through the 1969 Northern Virginia Major Thoroughfare Plan book. It was fascinating to see all the diagrams of what could have been for Northern Virginia. I've only seen space images online but never the whole thing until that point.

I am surprised that nobody local has written an article about it, be it WTOP or GGWash. Since the latter wrote about the proposed Burke International Airport, writing one about the 1969 Northern Virginia Major Thoroughfare Plan should not be that far off.

Fixed quote (I think).  -Mark

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Beltway on July 25, 2018, 08:11:12 PM

Exactly!

Ah, gotcha. Well, you're certainly right about that!
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

Seems a tractor-trailer went off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge—Tunnel last night. I'm always mildly surprised this doesn't happen more often. The story isn't kidding about severe weather, either. We are in Irvington for the weekend and the rain was so intense last night we had trouble hearing the TV.

1995hoo

Any thoughts on which way north from Irvington is better–Route 3 up the Northern Neck or Route 17 up the Middle Peninsula? Clinches aren't in the cards. Came down via Route 3 on Friday and have not been on that part of Route 17 since the early 1980s (going the other way). Trying to decide how to head home tomorrow. I know there is work on the Norris Bridge over the Rappahannock on Route 3 near White Stone. The lady at the Golden Eagle recommended Route 3 but didn't really have a particular reason.

1995hoo

^^^^

Took 17 because of the rain. Easier drive. Good route and the delay at the Norris Bridge wasn't too bad. They're using an automated traffic control system instead of flagmen. Route 17 from Saluda up to Route 301 was about as empty a road as I've been on in Virginia in recent years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.