News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Lexington, MA. If it was construction orange, it would be fine, but it is warning yellow. (I didn't see anything that would require it to be orange, so it should be white.)

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on June 01, 2019, 09:54:11 AM
Lexington, MA. If it was construction orange, it would be fine, but it is warning yellow. (I didn't see anything that would require it to be orange, so it should be white.)

Must not be regulatory in nature, then.  Ignore it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

Quote from: kphoger on June 01, 2019, 11:49:09 AM

:-D  :-D  :-D
Newark born, Richmond bred

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on June 01, 2019, 11:49:09 AM

Unless you see this: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7083.msg181768#msg181768

ce929wax

hbelkins

Quote from: ce929wax on June 03, 2019, 06:56:03 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/181820210@N04/47996752912/in/dateposted-public/

Saw this in Shelbyville, IN last Thursday.

Those have been there for ages. I'm surprised they haven't been fixed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

plain

Saw this an hour ago.

The arrow under VA 33 should be pointing left. This is at the top of the ramp from I-64 WB at Exit 205

Image from GSV

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Stanley Roberts really showing his age with that joke. Had to look it up myself.

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on June 06, 2019, 05:13:24 PM
Stanley Roberts really showing his age with that joke. Had to look it up myself.

Chris Lokken (not sure if he's a member here or not, but most roadgeeks should recognize the name) regularly uses that GIF when someone posts a stupid news story originating in Florida.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on June 06, 2019, 03:51:13 PM
Saw this an hour ago.

The arrow under VA 33 should be pointing left. This is at the top of the ramp from I-64 WB at Exit 205

Image from GSV

SM-S820L

This interchange has a lot of problems - the EB offramp from I-64 has a US 33 shield instead of a VA 33 shield, and it's been there for quite a while.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

US 89

Here are a few from eastern Idaho. If these have been posted before, I didn't see them.

(sorry about picture quality, it had just started to rain.) The right sign is incorrect, as this isn't Business 26 or even mainline 26. If there's a 26 up there at all, there should be a "TO", since Business 15/20 doesn't reach US 26 until downtown in a mile or so.

Along the same lines as the previous sign, but this one seems to imply this road is Business 20 to US 26 and BL-15. This time the 26 is correct, but this road actually is BL-15. A simple rearrangement of the shields would fix this.

More inconsistent than wrong but I feel it deserved to be posted here. If the "TO" on the left sign also applies to US 20 (which it should), then the "BUSINESS" on the right sign would apply to US 26 (which it shouldn't, as that's mainline 26).

This is just a shield error but it's an uncommon one with a lot of potential for confusion. The I-15 shield on Exit 71 should be a Business Loop 15.

roadman65

US 87 in Texas?  Yes the US route does go through Texas, but it does not travel into Galveston.

This is one of two errors as another US 87 shield is along Seawall Blvd. and Ferry Road.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

It is erroneous!  Who really cares where it goes?  This is why you have many come and go from here, because of the technical stuff.  I will tell you what, when I post the other US 87 shield on Seawall, I will post it there to make you happy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

David Jr.

This is in Springfield, IL, BL-55/Peoria Rd at Taintor Road.  As per Jerry McClanahan's EZ 66 Guide, the Historic Route 66 sign is wrong:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8426448,-89.6327978,3a,15y,223.21h,88.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMJmsHhc4lr_PEsgWQbikeA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2019, 12:10:26 AM
It is erroneous!  Who really cares where it goes?  This is why you have many come and go from here, because of the technical stuff.  I will tell you what, when I post the other US 87 shield on Seawall, I will post it there to make you happy.

It's erroneous but it's an extremely common error. Which is why it has its own thread. Otherwise this thread would be a veritable dumping ground for mix-ups, with only the occasional truly odd error.

Verlanka

Quote from: jakeroot on June 15, 2019, 06:46:08 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2019, 12:10:26 AM

It's erroneous but it's an extremely common error. Which is why it has its own thread. Otherwise this thread would be a veritable dumping ground for mix-ups, with only the occasional truly odd error.
I agree.

formulanone

Two Farm-to-Market roads that are posted as state highways along I-35:

wanderer2575

I'm very tolerant of ugly temporary signs during roadwork projects, but it ticks me off no end when existing signs aren't properly covered or altered when traffic patterns are changed.  My current rant is this one on northbound I-75 approaching I-94 in Detroit.  The ramps to 94 westbound are closed for most of this year.  A sign crew covered the westbound control city (Chicago) but not the Exit Only banner, which points to a lane that is closed just a couple hundred feet beyond.  I drive this most weekday afternoons and constantly see vehicles move into the right lane only to have to immediately merge back to the left.  Same situation on the southbound side.  Stupid.

roadfro

^ I've never seen a sign covered with a floating panel like this before. In Nevada, a cover obscuring sign element like this would be affixed directly to the main sign by rivets or using tarp taped to the sign.

If they went through the trouble to cover an element of the sign like this for a long-term closure, they could have found a way to cover the exit only message to say something like "Exit 1/2 mile" (or whatever) to reflect the lane condition due to said closure.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

wanderer2575

^^  Michigan used to attach temporary panels with rivets or even what appeared to be duct tape, but these damaged the signs.  MDOT's standard for many years has been to attach "floating" covering panels with brackets.

My point (in agreement with your statement) is that the Exit Only banner should have been covered, maybe with a non-yellow backed dancing arrow.  In retrospect, I suppose I can't fault the sign crew.  It's almost a certainty the temporary sign plans were part of the contract specs issued by MDOT.  It would have been nice had the contractor pointed out the idiocy of this particular one, but no doubt it was hardly high on his list of concerns.

thenetwork

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 23, 2019, 05:34:36 PM
^^  Michigan used to attach temporary panels with rivets or even what appeared to be duct tape, but these damaged the signs.  MDOT's standard for many years has been to attach "floating" covering panels with brackets.

My point (in agreement with your statement) is that the Exit Only banner should have been covered, maybe with a non-yellow backed dancing arrow.  In retrospect, I suppose I can't fault the sign crew.  It's almost a certainty the temporary sign plans were part of the contract specs issued by MDOT.  It would have been nice had the contractor pointed out the idiocy of this particular one, but no doubt it was hardly high on his list of concerns.

I seem to remember back in the mid 80s, during a family cross-country vacation trip, one state in the center of the country (Iowa? Nebraska?) installed wooden "hurdles" in front of the ground-mounted BGSs to 'block out' the line(s) of text/control city that was not able to be accessed from that particular exit (likely due to a closed road/signed route). 

wanderer2575

Crap like this is what happens when there are multiple roadwork projects and no coordination of signing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.