News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

That toll increase is more modest than I would have expected, but the bill by mail changes... yikes.  I wonder if the percentage increase will apply to out of state E-Zpass users as well, since the Thruway started engaging in transponder discrimination a couple years ago.  My parents are going to have to either get an E-ZPass or get hit with a very massive increase in the amount they pay - from $1.60 per year (yes, per year - their Thruway usage usually consists only of four trips/year between Rochester and Canandaigua) to $8.08-10.08 (depending on when the family picnic is held) per year!

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 19, 2019, 10:41:10 AM
IIRC, the toll on for the Tappan Zee (both old & new bridges) has always been lower than those of the southern NYC-Hudson River crossings; so I don't necessarily think that the truck partial-shunpiking to the Tappan Zee to avoid the more expensive NYC crossings is necessarily a new phenomenon.  The only thing that's changed is that the new 8-lane bridge allows the traffic to move more freely in that immediate area than the old bridge allowed.

Even if the toll freeze for the bridge expired/is lifted; the chances are the new higher toll will still be priced lower than the tolls for the other southern crossings. 

OTOH, if the increase is too severe; one might see more longer-distance through-truck traffic using the much cheaper I-84 Newburgh-Beacon Bridge further north... if they're not doing such already.
True, but the difference has been growing.  NYSTA historically hasn't raised tolls all that often, even before the toll freeze (which Cuomo implemented in part because of worried commuters over the Tappan Zee, but also because of upstate drivers unaccustomed to tolls rates changing, well, ever).  I think Thruway tolls have only gone up once or twice in my entire life.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2019, 12:50:35 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 19, 2019, 11:38:23 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2019, 10:07:52 AM
In recent years, NYSDOT has operated on an annual budget that numbers in a few billion or so (essentially $2-3 billion + whatever PIT comes NYSDOT's way), and dwarfs NYSTA in terms of lane miles and bridge deck area, for example.
NYSDOT only has a budget of $3 billion per year?
In a state with that much population (almost 20 million)?
Shocking, isn't it.  We're also a donor state and a lot of people up her grumble we'd be in a better situation if we got our fed dollars back instead of them ending up in other states where the people want smaller government anyway.
So you're claiming that they "donate" $5 billion in federal aid funds per year to the other states?

On a population weighted basis that is pretty close to what would have to happen.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cl94

Newburgh-Beacon is already a long-distance alternate for truckers. 81-84 is a very busy truck route, with 84 at a little over 20% trucks between PA and the Thruway. Aren't many freeways in the state with a higher truck %.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: cl94 on December 19, 2019, 02:10:38 PM
Newburgh-Beacon is already a long-distance alternate for truckers. 81-84 is a very busy truck route, with 84 at a little over 20% trucks between PA and the Thruway. Aren't many freeways in the state with a higher truck %.
Rip van Winkle?

hbelkins

Quote from: Beltway on December 19, 2019, 01:22:28 PM
In recent years, NYSDOT has operated on an annual budget that numbers in a few billion or so (essentially $2-3 billion + whatever PIT comes NYSDOT's way), and dwarfs NYSTA in terms of lane miles and bridge deck area, for example.
Shocking, isn't it.  We're also a donor state and a lot of people up her grumble we'd be in a better situation if we got our fed dollars back instead of them ending up in other states where the people want smaller government anyway.
So you're claiming that they "donate" $5 billion in federal aid funds per year to the other states?

On a population weighted basis that is pretty close to what would have to happen.

Yeah, I can't imagine that a densely-populated state like New York would contribute more in gas taxes than a more rural state, where people have to drive farther on a daily basis to get to work.

No doubt New York is a donor state for general tax fund revenues, but highway funding?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MASTERNC

Quote from: vdeane on December 19, 2019, 01:15:14 PM
That toll increase is more modest than I would have expected, but the bill by mail changes... yikes.  I wonder if the percentage increase will apply to out of state E-Zpass users as well, since the Thruway started engaging in transponder discrimination a couple years ago.  My parents are going to have to either get an E-ZPass or get hit with a very massive increase in the amount they pay - from $1.60 per year (yes, per year - their Thruway usage usually consists only of four trips/year between Rochester and Canandaigua) to $8.08-10.08 (depending on when the family picnic is held) per year!

From what I read, tolls for non-NY E-ZPass users will be 15% higher than the NY E-ZPass rate.  It amounts to about a 9% toll increase from current rates (compared to a 24% increase for cash customers).  Looks like the increases for the bridge toll are higher than that.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 20, 2019, 02:02:15 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine that a densely-populated state like New York would contribute more in gas taxes than a more rural state, where people have to drive farther on a daily basis to get to work.

No doubt New York is a donor state for general tax fund revenues, but highway funding?
I didn't say anything about $5 billion.  Just that if NY got back what they put in, it'd be better off.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on December 20, 2019, 11:07:02 PM

I didn't say anything about $5 billion.  Just that if NY got back what they put in, it'd be better off.
Actually I keep hearing that highway trust fund runs all red, for all states.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 20, 2019, 11:51:52 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 20, 2019, 11:07:02 PM

Well, make it run less red for NY and more red for a donee state. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on December 21, 2019, 01:08:00 PM
Unfortunately, that's not how our nation works. From each state according to its means, to each state according to its needs. Wait, where have I heard that before?

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on December 21, 2019, 04:01:41 PM
Unfortunately, that's not how our nation works. From each state according to its means, to each state according to its needs. Wait, where have I heard that before?
In the tax code?

KEVIN_224

Just a fun question as it relates to the Thruway: How is the road work in the Senaca Nation section going? I know it was held up for a long time.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 21, 2019, 04:35:05 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 21, 2019, 04:01:41 PM
In the tax code?
...and we've come full circle to the original point: Change the tax code. :D

machias

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 21, 2019, 06:26:02 PM
Just a fun question as it relates to the Thruway: How is the road work in the Senaca Nation section going? I know it was held up for a long time.

When I drove through there a week ago I didn't see any work in progress.

hbelkins

Quote from: machias on December 22, 2019, 10:51:56 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 21, 2019, 06:26:02 PM

When I drove through there a week ago I didn't see any work in progress.

I'm guessing pavement rehab got put on hiatus for the winter.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

At this point, they're not getting any more work done until April at the earliest. It's prime snow season in that area and the freeze/thaw cycle is a bitch.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

I saw the gantry for exit 21B on my way to/from the NYC area for my roadtrip yesterday.  Contrary to what's been mentioned earlier, it appears the interchange toll locations are using full gantries rather than just re-using the booths.  I also saw evidence of work starting at exits 20 and 22, as well as between exits 23 and 24 (in addition to the work that already had begun south of exit 23).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

chays

I'm doing some research for a project about the NY Thruway's service plaza. I'm looking for some information that can put NY's thruway stops in perspective. Are they run-of-the-mill, compared to other states? Do some toll roads have stops with more amenities (car wash? Showers? Mechanics? Non-fast food choices?). Is there one standout among rest stops? If so, I'd love to know about it.
I'm trying to get a feel for how rest stops are reinventing themselves and if that's a common trend or not and compare how NY stands up to the other states. Any help you can provide is most appreciated!

cl94

Amenities in NY are pretty typical compared to other states with toll roads, as far as I have seen. A couple of fast food outlets, a coffee shop, convenience store, gas, restrooms (including 1 single-occupant unisex), tourist info, wifi is the typical set of amenities. Many locations have a farmer's market during the growing season.

-Sloatsburg (NB between 15A and 16) is by far the largest single-direction facility and the only one with two public levels. This one also has a parking garage.
-Directly opposite is Ramapo (SB between 16 and 15A), the smallest service area. This is basically a glorified McDonald's and, before the 1990s, required crossing the Thruway via a bridge to Sloatsburg for most services.
-Angola (both directions between 57A and 58) is the only facility in the median. Parking lots and fuel on the outside of the roadways, building in a wide median accessible by enclosed bridges. Angola is about the same size as Sloatsburg, but it serves both directions.
-New Baltimore (both directions between 21B and 21A) has a separate rest area/tourist info center/playground accessible only from NB.
-A closed pair of service areas is on the Berkshire Spur east of the Castleton-on-Hudson Bridge. These closed shortly after I-90 through Albany opened due to a lack of traffic.
-Combined service areas and welcome centers were planned on I-90 WB near Exit B3 and I-90 EB near Exit 61 in the 1990s, but never built. McDonald's would have been a major funding partner.

webny99

Angola is the only service area that stands out to me, mainly because of the pedestrian bridges crossing the Thruway, and the fact that the food and restrooms are in the median.

IMO there's not really any other particular ones that are very unique or outstanding, at least not between the PA line and Albany. Scottsville has what I assume is a historic building of some sort on-site. I've never gotten closer than the Street View car, only because my own exit (46/I-390) is just 2 more miles down the road, so I've never had a need to stop there.

Sam

Do the Thruway service areas not still have mechanics and repair shops?

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on February 19, 2020, 04:22:31 PM
Angola is the only service area that stands out to me, mainly because of the pedestrian bridges crossing the Thruway, and the fact that the food and restrooms are in the median.

IMO there's not really any other particular ones that are very unique or outstanding, at least not between the PA line and Albany. Scottsville has what I assume is a historic building of some sort on-site. I've never gotten closer than the Street View car, only because my own exit (46/I-390) is just 2 more miles down the road, so I've never had a need to stop there.
I'll never forget my visit to Angola. It's the only rest area I've found similar to the IL tollway system's.

cl94

Quote from: Sam on February 19, 2020, 06:40:39 PM
Do the Thruway service areas not still have mechanics and repair shops?

I think those were taken out with the 90s renovations.

MASTERNC

Quote from: chays on February 19, 2020, 03:01:49 PM
I'm doing some research for a project about the NY Thruway's service plaza. I'm looking for some information that can put NY's thruway stops in perspective. Are they run-of-the-mill, compared to other states? Do some toll roads have stops with more amenities (car wash? Showers? Mechanics? Non-fast food choices?). Is there one standout among rest stops? If so, I'd love to know about it.
I'm trying to get a feel for how rest stops are reinventing themselves and if that's a common trend or not and compare how NY stands up to the other states. Any help you can provide is most appreciated!

I think Illinois put car washes in many of their service plazas (oases) during the last renovation.

SignBridge

It's regrettable that most rest-stops today only have fast-food fare.
When I was growing up in the 1960's all these service areas had sit-down chain restaurants. Howard Johnsons was the most common, but there were other brands as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.