News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

IHOB

Started by US71, June 08, 2018, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: SP Cook on June 27, 2018, 03:24:50 PMThere are also lots of people who claim they can taste the difference, but no double blind taste test has ever produced anyone who actually can.

Maybe not (although I'll fight you to the death over whether pop tastes better when packaged in a glass bottle or an aluminum can), but if you can sell pop made with sugar for $1 more than pop made with HFCS, and it only costs ten cents to make, both producer and consumer will walk away from that transaction completely happy.

MNHighwayMan

I was with you up until this point:

Quote from: SP Cook on June 27, 2018, 03:24:50 PM
There is all sorts of junk science about the supposed bad effects of HFCS.  It is all loonie toons stuff.  HFCS is totally safe.  There are also lots of people who claim they can taste the difference, but no double blind taste test has ever produced anyone who actually can.

Go ahead, drink a gallon of HFCS, and let me know how that turns out for you.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 27, 2018, 03:31:36 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on June 27, 2018, 03:24:50 PMThere are also lots of people who claim they can taste the difference, but no double blind taste test has ever produced anyone who actually can.

Maybe not (although I'll fight you to the death over whether pop tastes better when packaged in a glass bottle or an aluminum can), but if you can sell pop made with sugar for $1 more than pop made with HFCS, and it only costs ten cents to make, both producer and consumer will walk away from that transaction completely happy.

I noticed last week Jolt Cola is available again at Casey's General Store.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Speaking of IHOB/IHOP & Coke, IHOP sells Pepsi crap. I really hate this, not just because of the soda choice. Their sweet tea leaves alot to be desired.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

There is all sorts of junk science about the supposed bad effects of HFCS.  It is all loonie toons stuff.  HFCS is totally safe.  There are also lots of people who claim they can taste the difference, but no double blind taste test has ever produced anyone who actually can.

it's not junk science that my friend who has a corn allergy can't drink anything with HFCS. As for me. sugar formula tastes more bubbly and less flat than HFCS

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 27, 2018, 06:48:19 PM

Probably wouldn't be any worse than eating a pound of sugar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

American Heinz ketchup and Canadian Heinz ketchup are chiefly separated by the former using HFCS, and the latter using cane sugar. They do taste different; I personally prefer the Canadian recipe.

SP Cook

Go ahead and drink, eat, inhale or otherwise ingest an massive overdose of about anything and let me know how that turns out for you.  Overdosing and then claiming some bad effect is one of the key elements of junk science, and, because of trial lawyers, why we cannot have nice things.

In the moderate amounts used, any product in any food, including HFCS, so-called GMOs (memo: people have been modifying the genetics of food since the dawn of mankind), or whatever else are 100% safe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SP Cook on June 28, 2018, 09:54:21 AM

Go ahead and drink, eat, inhale or otherwise ingest an massive overdose of about anything and let me know how that turns out for you.  Overdosing and then claiming some bad effect is one of the key elements of junk science, and, because of trial lawyers, why we cannot have nice things.

In the moderate amounts used, any product in any food, including HFCS, so-called GMOs (memo: people have been modifying the genetics of food since the dawn of mankind), or whatever else are 100% safe.

HFCS is worse than regular sugar.

However, GMOs are safe. I think that any food that advertises "no GMOs" as a selling point has to put a disclaimer that no difference in health has been found.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on June 28, 2018, 10:56:24 AMI think that any food that advertises "no GMOs" as a selling point has to put a disclaimer that no difference in health has been found.

Why?  We don't require that of organic food, and there's nothing to suggest that organic food is actually better for you.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: 1 on June 28, 2018, 10:56:24 AM

However, GMOs are safe. I think that any food that advertises "no GMOs" as a selling point has to put a disclaimer that no difference in health has been found.

1. I came here to say this
2. I totally agree

Fructose is processed by the body slightly differently than sucrose is.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

GaryV

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 28, 2018, 11:16:33 AM
Quote from: 1 on June 28, 2018, 10:56:24 AMI think that any food that advertises "no GMOs" as a selling point has to put a disclaimer that no difference in health has been found.

Why?  We don't require that of organic food, and there's nothing to suggest that organic food is actually better for you.

Remember, arsenic is organic.

abefroman329

Quote from: GaryV on June 28, 2018, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on June 28, 2018, 11:16:33 AM

Remember, arsenic is organic.

And cocaine is gluten-free.

cjk374

Organic: that which contains carbon. Therefore, all fruits & veggies, no matter how processed, are organic.

Even humans are organic. So are turds. Organic label = fat stax! $$$  :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: cjk374 on June 28, 2018, 05:09:19 PM
Organic: that which contains carbon. Therefore, all fruits & veggies, no matter how processed, are organic.

Even humans are organic. So are turds. Organic label = fat stax! $$$  :pan:

So chalk is organic? Not sure if you'd call calcium carbonate (or any metal-carbonate compound) organic.

kkt

What would that prove?  I couldn't drink a gallon of ANYthing, even water, at a sitting without bad effects.

US71

ihop is officially back, just in time for their 60th Anniversary and offering a deal on pancakes.

The way they keep changing their name, I wonder if they should be IHOW International House of Waffles ;)

dcharlie

Quote from: 1 on June 28, 2018, 10:56:24 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on June 28, 2018, 09:54:21 AM

For me, If I drink regular Mt. Dew made with HFCS, my knees start aching almost immediately.  I don't have that problem if I drink Mt. Dew Throwback (made with real sugar), plus the taste difference is amazing.  I really don't like regular Mt. Dew that much anymore, but will drink Throwback every chance I get...

PHLBOS

Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2018, 11:56:04 AM
ihop is officially back, just in time for their 60th Anniversary and offering a deal on pancakes.

The way they keep changing their name, I wonder if they should be IHOW International House of Waffles ;)
Apparently the whole name change thing was just a promotional stunt.  Source.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 10, 2018, 01:32:47 PM

I'm shocked this is still news.  They said from the get-go they weren't changing their name.  The gotta-pounce-on-it-media and gullible public ate it up though...

jakeroot

No one thought they were actually changing their name, right? It's a classic promo stunt. Classic.

hbelkins

Quote from: dcharlie on July 10, 2018, 01:20:26 PM
For me, If I drink regular Mt. Dew made with HFCS, my knees start aching almost immediately.  I don't have that problem if I drink Mt. Dew Throwback (made with real sugar), plus the taste difference is amazing.  I really don't like regular Mt. Dew that much anymore, but will drink Throwback every chance I get...

That may be a sign of gout. I've heard that HFCS can be a trigger for a gout flare. Trust me, I know all about gout in the knees.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 10, 2018, 01:32:47 PM

Pretty much what I thought

SM-G930V

dcharlie

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2018, 02:43:37 PM

That may be a sign of gout. I've heard that HFCS can be a trigger for a gout flare. Trust me, I know all about gout in the knees.

I am definitely bone on bone.  But I am learning that what I eat and drink makes a big difference in knee pain.  I do best on gluten free, but get sick of that pretty quickly...

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2018, 02:43:37 PM

I have a friend who can't eat anything with corn, so HFCS is basically poison to her.

SM-G930V

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.