News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

IHOB

Started by US71, June 08, 2018, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 10, 2018, 01:41:58 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 10, 2018, 01:32:47 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2018, 11:56:04 AM
ihop is officially back, just in time for their 60th Anniversary and offering a deal on pancakes.

The way they keep changing their name, I wonder if they should be IHOW International House of Waffles ;)
Apparently the whole name change thing was just a promotional stunt.  Source.

I'm shocked this is still news.  They said from the get-go they weren't changing their name.  The gotta-pounce-on-it-media and gullible public ate it up though...
Not to mention the creation of a now-6-page thread on this site.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

See, I knew this was too good to be true.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Henry on July 11, 2018, 10:09:43 AM
Too good?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cjk374

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 10, 2018, 03:38:08 PM
ihop is officially back, just in time for their 60th Anniversary and offering a deal on pancakes.

The way they keep changing their name, I wonder if they should be IHOW International House of Waffles ;)

I'm shocked this is still news.  They said from the get-go they weren't changing their name.  The gotta-pounce-on-it-media and gullible public ate it up though...

If a certain "thread which shalt not be named..." can make 72 pages....... :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cjk374 on July 11, 2018, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 10, 2018, 03:38:08 PM

If a certain "thread which shalt not be named..." can make 72 pages....... :bigass:

Where did the other 8 go?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1 on July 11, 2018, 02:44:26 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on July 11, 2018, 02:40:59 PM
Where did the other 8 go?

Yeah, I have it at 40 pages. Of course, I use the 50 posts per page setting.

kkt

I'm shocked, Shocked! to learn that companies use fake name changes as promotional stunts.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on July 12, 2018, 12:18:18 PM

I'm shocked, Shocked! to learn that companies use fake name changes as promotional stunts.

Which does me make me wonder. I mentioned a few posts up that this was a classic stunt, but I can't actually think of another example of a name change for a promo (at this moment). I'm sure it has happened; it sounds like a great way to get people talking.

briantroutman

I don't have time to look up the specifics, but offhand, I recall KFC "changing"  its name to "Kitchen Fresh Chicken"  and "Kentucky Grilled Chicken"  as part of promotional stunts. I believe Pizza Hut also "changed"  its name to "Pasta Hut"  and "The Hut"  as part of promotional efforts as well. (Coincidentally, both are owned by the same parent, Yum Brands.)

Radio Shack was for some time trying to make itself over as "The Shack" , and I seem to recall a few Circuit City stores that were signed as "The City" .

Then recently there was the news of Dunkin Donuts changing its name to just "Dunkin" , but I don't know what ever became of that.

The common thread seems to be that a brand is defined (perhaps misdefined) by a specific product mentioned in its name, and the promotional name change stunt is an effort to draw attention to the fact that the company offers more than that one marquee item.

jakeroot

Ugh. I hate when companies try to give themselves nicknames. Nicknames are not a given; they're earned.

"B-dubs" for Buffalo Wild Wings, for example. They've picked up on the nickname, but far after I started hearing it in passing.

"BK" for Burger King, while not any sort of affectionate name, has been picked up by the company.

roadman

Quote from: briantroutman on July 12, 2018, 02:30:50 PM
Then recently there was the news of Dunkin Donuts changing its name to just "Dunkin" , but I don't know what ever became of that.

That change is indeed actively being phased in.  Several new and reconstructed stores in the Boston area have already dropped 'Donuts' from the name.  In a recent news feature, the new CEO of the company indicated that implementing the name change chain-wide is one of his top priorities.  From a roadgeek perspective, it will be interesting to see how quickly BBS logos are changed to reflect the new name.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2018, 03:14:55 PM
Ugh. I hate when companies try to give themselves nicknames. Nicknames are not a given; they're earned.

"B-dubs" for Buffalo Wild Wings, for example. They've picked up on the nickname, but far after I started hearing it in passing.

"BK" for Burger King, while not any sort of affectionate name, has been picked up by the company.

Mickey D's has been used in some of McDonald's commercials that target the audience most likely to use that term.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 12, 2018, 03:22:19 PM

Mickey D's has been used in some of McDonald's commercials that target the audience most likely to use that term.

Oh, lol. My comment actually included a reference to Mickey D's (or McD's as I more often hear out here), but I deleted that part because I didn't think McDonalds used the term in any marketing.

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman on July 12, 2018, 03:15:38 PM
From a roadgeek perspective, it will be interesting to see how quickly BBS logos are changed to reflect the new name.

Several longstanding Dunkin Donuts stores that I know personally still have the '80s-'90s logo on posted on blue services signage. This is despite the fact that stores themselves have been extensively remodeled and have either version of the post-2000 logo (with coffee cup) on the building itself. So assuming that the franchisees didn't feel compelled to update the services signage since the pre-cup and post-cup logos are more or less "compatible"  (same colors, same typeface), I expect many of them will keep old "Dunkin Donuts"  services signs even after they've been remodeled yet again and "Donuts"  in not included on the on-store signage. (That is unless the new CEO decides to be particularly thorough about his re-signing plans.)

US71

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 11, 2018, 10:35:57 AM
Quote from: Henry on July 11, 2018, 10:09:43 AM
Too good?
Good and IHOP= oxymoron

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2018, 03:14:55 PM"B-dubs" for Buffalo Wild Wings, for example. They've picked up on the nickname, but far after I started hearing it in passing.

It used to be BW3, back when they sold Wild Wings and Weck.

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on July 12, 2018, 08:42:31 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2018, 03:14:55 PM"B-dubs" for Buffalo Wild Wings, for example. They've picked up on the nickname, but far after I started hearing it in passing.

It used to be BW3, back when they sold Wild Wings and Weck.

I heard from a Midwest friend of mine that it used to sell something else, but I couldn't remember what it was. They've only been in the Seattle market since 2011-ish, so that was never a thing here. Only two W's!

roadman

Quote from: briantroutman on July 12, 2018, 04:45:31 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 12, 2018, 03:15:38 PM
From a roadgeek perspective, it will be interesting to see how quickly BBS logos are changed to reflect the new name.

Several longstanding Dunkin Donuts stores that I know personally still have the ’80s-’90s logo on posted on blue services signage. This is despite the fact that stores themselves have been extensively remodeled and have either version of the post-2000 logo (with coffee cup) on the building itself. So assuming that the franchisees didn’t feel compelled to update the services signage since the pre-cup and post-cup logos are more or less “compatible” (same colors, same typeface), I expect many of them will keep old “Dunkin Donuts” services signs even after they’ve been remodeled yet again and “Donuts” in not included on the on-store signage. (That is unless the new CEO decides to be particularly thorough about his re-signing plans.)
Good point.  And, as I've noted elsewhere, it's interesting that on the older 1980s-1990s LOGOS, the word Dunkin is mostly faded out, but Donuts is still very legible.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on July 12, 2018, 04:18:33 PM

Oh, lol. My comment actually included a reference to Mickey D's (or McD's as I more often hear out here), but I deleted that part because I didn't think McDonalds used the term in any marketing.

"Mickey D's Sweet Tea."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2018, 12:09:56 PM

"Mickey D's Sweet Tea."

Hmm. I'm not sure they advertised the sweet tea up here. I can't recall seeing any. But I see some ads on Youtube for the sweet tea dropping the "Mickey D's" line. Interesting.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2018, 12:09:56 PM

"Mickey D's Sweet Tea."

I recall a few TV ads from the 1990s which mentioned "Mickey D's"...something along the lines of a inner-city teenager (Calvin?) proud to get his first job. They probably use it sparingly, because then it no longer makes any sort of impact.

For some parts of the U.S., it is the only commercially-available source of sweet tea.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on July 14, 2018, 07:40:29 AM
For some parts of the U.S., it is the only commercially-available source of sweet tea.

I don't recall ever seeing sweet tea, even at McDonalds (though apparently they do have it). It wasn't until I visited the south a few years ago that I saw how popular it was.

I think you can get sweet tea at barbecue joints, but I don't frequent them too often (not great choice in Seattle metro) so I couldn't be sure.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Australians call it "Mackers".

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on July 15, 2018, 03:57:58 PM
Australians call it "Mackers".

"Maccas". We think there's an "r" in there because of rhetocity, but there's not actually an "r".

https://mcdonalds.com.au/about-maccas/maccas-story

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.