News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Regional television markets

Started by Desert Man, November 18, 2017, 10:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 10, 2019, 11:28:38 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 10, 2019, 10:32:31 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 09, 2019, 10:10:11 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 09, 2019, 10:07:34 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 21, 2019, 09:24:51 AM
Quote from: bing101 on March 21, 2019, 07:22:35 AM

San Francisco TV news in the 1970's.

I was watching a WBBM promo from the late 70s or early 80s and thought "it's just like Anchorman!" and then I thought "well, yeah; that's probably what they were going for."

My favorite is this one from Sacramento in 1982, with a, shall we say, very familiar face to those of you in the New York metropolitan area who listen to him schmooze on certain sports talk radio station. And what's with the afro already?

FTFY

Didn't see that coming.

Not a FAN listener, I see.  Sacratomato, every LA team is called The Hollywood ______, the New York Icelanders, the whole thing.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Verlanka

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 10, 2019, 11:36:20 PM
Not a FAN listener, I see.  Sacratomato, every LA team is called The Hollywood ______, the New York Icelanders, the whole thing.

I have no idea they get a lot of things wrong.

Quote from: bandit957 on April 10, 2019, 08:33:58 PM
Well that's fitting. She is an absolute hack.

I agree. :bigass:

bing101

SP Cook

Sinclair is a bad company.  And not because is supposedly air "right wing" political commentary.  Because is operates in a customer unfriendly manner, trying to squeeze the last cent it can out of what is an automatically profitable venture, and because it (and it is allowed to, by politicians of all parites) simply cheat the ownership caps. 

It owning the formerly Fox RSNs (probably will use the name Marquee brand name it is using for its new Cubs RSN) is bad news for the consumer, bad news for the ad buyer, and probably bad news for the teams. 

It also probably means the end of Sinclair's over-the-air sideband sports channel Stadium.  No big loss.                                                                                   

KEVIN_224

Terrific! Ownership is already changing at 2 other stations in Hartford/New Haven. Nexstar owns WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8 and controls WCTX-TV (MY) channel 59 of New Haven. Nexstar is buying out Tribune. They (Nexstar) had to divest WTIC-TV (FOX) channel 61 of Hartford and "sister" station WCCT-TV (CW) channel 20 of Waterbury to TEGNA. Merideth owns WFSB-TV (CBS) channel 3 of Hartford.

The odd station out? NBC O&O WVIT-TV channel 30 of New Britain.

bing101

jon daly

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 09, 2019, 10:07:34 AM

My favorite is this one from Sacratomato in 1982, with a, shall we say, very familiar face to those of you in the New York metropolitan area who listen to him schmooze on certain sports talk radio station. And what's with the afro already?

I know who Steve Somers is. It was easy to pickup WFAN when I lived in Central CT. A few thoughts:

1. I had no idea what he looked like.
2. His voice has changed over the years.
3. Those are some ugly uniforms that the Giants wore in 1982.

bing101

bing101

When Local TV stations aired the national anthem to signal the end of the broadcast day.

bing101

SP Cook

Quote from: bing101 on June 11, 2019, 02:54:07 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/gray-tv-stations-to-end-broadcasts-with-national-anthem/2019/06/11/dc250d6e-8c47-11e9-b6f4-033356502dce_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.89161cb055f9

Gray Owned TV stations to air the national anthem. My guess would be that Gray owned stations will air the Anthem Segments after their newscasts though.

Odd.  For those of you too young to remember, stations used to go off the air about 1:30 or so until 5 or even 6 AM.  They would end the day with a recitation of some legalese, including where the tower was located, and then play the song.  Most had a similar deal in the morning.  This ended as advancements in technology made automation possible and it thus profitable to broadcast even when 99% of potential viewers were either asleep or working the graveyard shift.  I have seen youtubes of similar practices in Canada, Australia and Mexico, so I guess it was a universal thing.

So Gray is just going to say 3 AM or something the end of one day and the start of the next? 

jp the roadgeek

I remember one Saturday morning about 5 AM when I was getting ready to leave for the airport and watching a station come on the air.  There was the whole station info/transmitter tech info, followed by the National Anthem, then a morning prayer, and an editorial, then on to regular broadcasting.  I remember stations going off the air until about 20 years ago, and most often that was on a weekend night.  Then they created the infomercial and that was the end of that.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bandit957

I remember a film of a man running a flag up a flagpole while the national anthem played, but this was when I was very young, so it was right in the middle of the day.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Sctvhound

Quote from: SP Cook on June 11, 2019, 04:14:43 PM
Quote from: bing101 on June 11, 2019, 02:54:07 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/gray-tv-stations-to-end-broadcasts-with-national-anthem/2019/06/11/dc250d6e-8c47-11e9-b6f4-033356502dce_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.89161cb055f9

Gray Owned TV stations to air the national anthem. My guess would be that Gray owned stations will air the Anthem Segments after their newscasts though.

Odd.  For those of you too young to remember, stations used to go off the air about 1:30 or so until 5 or even 6 AM.  They would end the day with a recitation of some legalese, including where the tower was located, and then play the song.  Most had a similar deal in the morning.  This ended as advancements in technology made automation possible and it thus profitable to broadcast even when 99% of potential viewers were either asleep or working the graveyard shift.  I have seen youtubes of similar practices in Canada, Australia and Mexico, so I guess it was a universal thing.

So Gray is just going to say 3 AM or something the end of one day and the start of the next?

My station (in Charleston south) will be airing the anthem prior to their 4:30am news every weekday morning, and prior to their 6am news on Saturdays and Sundays.

golden eagle

Do any TV stations play the national anthem, even if they stay on 24 hours? When I lived in San Diego, the Fox affiliate played the Mexican national anthem (because it was licensed to Mexico), though they were on 24/7. It was played in the early morning (I'm thinking 5 or 6am).

jp the roadgeek

There is a radio station that usually plays the National Anthem most mornings at 5:30.  WTIC 1080 plays it between the 30 minute Sunrise Special newscast and the morning show.  Oftentimes, it's a recording of former Hartford Whaler anthem singer Tony Harrington.  Not sure if it's part of the station's tradition or the morning show's.

hbelkins

Quote from: golden eagle on June 30, 2019, 01:21:52 AM
Do any TV stations play the national anthem, even if they stay on 24 hours? When I lived in San Diego, the Fox affiliate played the Mexican national anthem (because it was licensed to Mexico), though they were on 24/7. It was played in the early morning (I'm thinking 5 or 6am).

Gray recently announced that their stations would.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/nexstar-tribune-must-divest-some-tv-stations/article_76e24123-79da-5280-a8db-f817431fb39c.html

Nexstar and Tribune, now that the DOJ has cleared their proposed merger, must now divest some of their TV stations in select markets.

ErmineNotyours

A month late, but I used to be forced to listen to country station KMPS at work, and they would play the anthem at noon every day.

When I was on vacation in San Diego, I woke up at midnight on Sunday night to hear boarder blaster (English language alternative rock) XETRA play the Mexican national anthem.

bing101

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-08-23/sinclair-owns-fox-regional-sports-networks

An Update Sinclair has taken over the regional Fox Sports outlets and Fox Sports West (Los Angeles) is included in the deal.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/tegna-stock-falls-5-after-local-tv-station-group-reports-apollo-ma-overtures-1202701192/

And Now there are talks that Apollo and Tegna (owners of WUSA, KUSA, KXTV, WXIA and KHOU)  are considering a deal.

hbelkins

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 01, 2019, 06:31:59 PM
A month late, but I used to be forced to listen to country station KMPS at work, and they would play the anthem at noon every day.

When I was on vacation in San Diego, I woke up at midnight on Sunday night to hear boarder blaster (English language alternative rock) XETRA play the Mexican national anthem.

XETRA? Never heard of it.

However, XERA (without the T) and XERF were the Mexican stations that inspired ZZ Top's "Heard It On The X."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: hbelkins on August 24, 2019, 04:35:55 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 01, 2019, 06:31:59 PM

XETRA? Never heard of it.

XETRA, better known as "XTRA 690" was a Tijuana-based San Diego border-blaster that beamed its signal mostly toward LA.  It was an easy listening station in the '60s and '70s, but became a sports station in the '80s, ending in 2005.  It's now XEWW, and airs Chinese-language programming.

QuoteHowever, XERA (without the T) and XERF were the Mexican stations that inspired ZZ Top's "Heard It On The X."

XERA was based in Acuna, across the Rio Grande from Del Rio TX, in the 1930s.  It was crooked from the word Go, and went off the air in 1939. 

XERF started up in 1947, using XERA's old facilities.  It eventually ran 250 kW (legal in Mexico), and was the home of Wolfman Jack in the early 1960s.  After he left, the station ran all kinds of programming that can best be described as "one huckster after another," both religious and secular.  It was audible in most of the country, and was an "interesting" station to say the least.

It's currently owned by the Mexican government, runs 100 kW, and simulcasts on XHRF-FM 103.9.  Mexico is trying to turn off as many AM stations as possible, but border stations are exempt.

BTW, the call letter block XA-XI is assigned to Mexico.  XE is assigned to AM stations, and XH is used for most FM stations.  TV uses both.  Five letter calls, such as XETRA, are allowed, unlike in the US.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.