News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

From the Nutmeg State

Started by jon daly, April 03, 2010, 10:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

I met a few of you two years ago in Hartford.  I lurk on the Roadgeek Yahoo Group but had no idea this forum existed until a couple of months ago.  Signed up for it but never heard back from the moderator.  Not sure if I qualify as a roadgeek, I can't say that I know all the lingo; but I love maps, purposeless drives of an hour or two, and the kurumi.com website.

Scott5114

Sounds like you qualify as a roadgeek to me. :)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

*scrolls back to the Hartford meet page* Nice to see you again!

jon daly

Thanks.  I remember you and see a few other familiar names here.

Dougtone

Some of us like purposeless drives for an hour or two, while some of us spend all day on a purposeless drive.  Welcome!

jon daly

Quote from: dougtone on April 09, 2010, 07:37:57 AM
Some of us like purposeless drives for an hour or two, while some of us spend all day on a purposeless drive.  Welcome!

I remember you, too!  My all day drives happened when I was younger and had more free time.  But my gf lives about 50 miles away, so I am checking out every road in eastern Ct between here and there; even some I'd never been on (or don't recall) before.

kurumi

Always good to see another Nutmegger. Welcome!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jon daly

Quote from: kurumi on April 09, 2010, 06:45:18 PM
Always good to see another Nutmegger. Welcome!

Back atcha!  I somehow stumbled onto your site a few years back and I eventually found the Yahoo Group and now here.  I think I sent a fan e-mail at one point.

ctsignguy

Welcome aboard....while i live in Ohio, my family came from the Nutmeg, so for me, it is my home grounds

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Rob Adams

Let me add my welcome as well - from a New Yorker who spends a lot of time in CT (mostly in and around Fairfield County).

jon daly

I should probably reintroduce myself because I've been active lately after a long absence.

I loved riding with my dad and family on Sundays and on day trips back in the 1970s. He was a road warrior; selling foodstuffs wholesale to grocery stores all over CT and parts of Western MA. He knew the area like the back of his hand. So did I, because I got into maps and paid attention to the signs.

I like interstates; albeit not as much now that I'm older and spend 15 hours a week on them. I love country roads more and I sometimes wonder what the Interstate Highway System has done to the US. I don't care for big box/McMansion suburban sprawl, but I like the older suburbs and older signs that look like they're from 1962 (there's a shopping plaza in Groton,  CT near me that has one.) I also like old gas stations with their names still visible on faded paint on routes that were bypassed by the interstate. There's a couple of those on RI-3.

I've also got into railroads and ships a little bit after reading John McPhee's UNCOMMON CARRIERS. I'm not sure if any of the rest of you are interested in those, but I'm guessing there's more than a few of you out there.

hotdogPi

Welcome from northeastern Massachusetts!
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

adventurernumber1

Welcome back!  :wave:

I love old things as well that show a little bit of history.  :nod:

I'll see you around on the forum!  :wave:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

Well, since I wasn't around here back in 2010...

Welcome to the forum from Upstate NY  :wave:

KEVIN_224

This lost Malloy soul says hello. I think all 3.5 million of us are, really!  :banghead:

Hurricane Rex

Well I´m late to the party but welcome from Oregon.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jon daly

I may have to change this to Greetings from the Ocean State. I've been working there now for four years and am considering relocating.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.