News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ON: Former exit names on the 401

Started by MisterSG1, May 10, 2018, 09:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

I was just wondering if there's any recollection of this. My father who was a trucker back in the 80s refers to certain exits by names that don't appear on the signage.

For instance, the two examples that come to mind, is that he exclusively refers to Exit 250 on the 401 as "Drumbo Road", and Exit 825, the final 401 exit as "Curry Hill Road". Is there any evidence that these former names were actually used on the signs?

cbeach40

I recall Drumbo Road, and in fact aside from formal settings I don't know anyone in the area who actually says Oxford Road 29. Same with Foldens Line in place of Oxford Road 6.

Anyway, I'll do some digging around, see if I come across some old sign details so we can see conclusively.
and waterrrrrrr!

Transportfan

Quote from: MisterSG1 on May 10, 2018, 09:04:19 PM

For instance, the two examples that come to mind, is that he exclusively refers to Exit 250 on the 401 as "Drumbo Road", and Exit 825, the final 401 exit as "Curry Hill Road". Is there any evidence that these former names were actually used on the signs?

I remember Curry Hill Road. Maybe it was changed because it was  considered racist? :)

cbeach40

Found the old sign layouts, it was indeed called Drumbo Road back in the 80s
and waterrrrrrr!

MisterSG1

My guess is the reason why the switch to Oxford Road 29 reflects how street signage on the road itself treats it.

I haven't done my research, but an honest hypothesis is that County Roads in Oxford County are a rather "new" thing. Consider that once one crosses into Brant, the magical name, Drumbo Road appears. All other signage literally calls it "Oxford Road 29".

I was kind of wondering why the MTO never went with this approach, but it makes sense now:

\29/
   Innerkip
   Drumbo

On a side note, do you know what the future plans are regarding signage for Exit 320. I ask this because I'm curious if new signage would make reference to "Martin St" as it does intersect directly with Highway 401, interestingly enough, the Martin St designation appears to disappear north of the 401, so it is a debatable case if Martin St should be signed on the exit.

cbeach40

Any updates to names on the signs would be the call of Halton Region in that case. As the project is being done as a design-build (and it's not mine) the sign patterns for the current job were not readily available. Guess we'll all get to wait and see!
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.