News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fastest-growing suburbs

Started by webny99, June 02, 2017, 10:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Which suburbs of cities in your area are particularly fast growing?

In Rochester, a lot of the growth has been on the east side recently, with Webster being the fastest growing town in the county. Also, Victor, in neighboring Ontario County.

vdeane

In the Capital District, Halfmoon is the second-fastest growing municipality in the entire state, and Ballston is fifth.  Malta and Brunswick are also growing fast.

Out in the area near Rochester, the Town of Canadaigua is the fastest-growing municipality in the state.  Farmington is fourth.

http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2017/05/25/new-york-state-city-and-town-populations-2016
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

7/8

For the GTA (greater toronto area), Milton has grown by 30.5% between 2011 and 2016 (from 84 362 to 110 128).

Source: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/as-sa/98-200-x/2016001/98-200-x2016001-eng.cfm

jakeroot

Areas east of Seattle are growing remarkably quick. The Sammamish area in particular. Seattle's housing prices have gone up like mad lately, which has forced a lot of people out to the 'burbs.

I-39

The Nashville area has been booming this century. Franklin has added over 30,000 residents since 2000 with no signs of slowing. Spring Hill has ballooned from just over 7,000 in 2000 to over 36,000 today. Williamson County (where both of these cities are located) is one of the fastest growing counties in the country.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2017, 04:09:09 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2017, 02:00:15 PM
Out in the area near Rochester, the Town of Canadaigua is the fastest-growing municipality in the state.  Farmington is fourth.

Which begs the question, is Canandaigua a suburb?

Thanks for the link, that's interesting. It looks like the Capital Region and Ithaca are upstate's bright spots these days. Canandaigua/Farmington look very potent on that map, but I'm unsure whether that reflects the glory of Rochester or Canandaigua Lake  :D
I would say that the Town of Canandaigua is most definitely a suburb of the City of Canandaigua, and both are probably suburbs of Rochester given that exits 44-45 on the Thruway carry commuter traffic, so it's essentially a double suburb.  Malta is similar - suburb of both Albany and Saratoga Springs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2017, 09:42:17 PM

Thanks for the link, that's interesting. It looks like the Capital Region and Ithaca are upstate's bright spots these days. Canandaigua/Farmington look very potent on that map, but I'm unsure whether that reflects the glory of Rochester or Canandaigua Lake  :D
I would say that the Town of Canandaigua is most definitely a suburb of the City of Canandaigua, and both are probably suburbs of Rochester given that exits 44-45 on the Thruway carry commuter traffic, so it's essentially a double suburb.  Malta is similar - suburb of both Albany and Saratoga Springs.

It definitely wasn't when I was a kid; a trip to Canandaigua was undoubtedly seen as a day trip out of the city. The furthest reaches of suburbia were the retail district anchored by Eastview Mall, and perhaps the new subdivision at Gananda. Both of those settlement trends soon spread throughout Victor and into Farmington and northern Canandaigua town, such that now they are indeed suburbs of Rochester, and more particularly of eastern Monroe County where a fair number of businesses are now located.

Now, by Downstate standards, Canandaigua would be an easy commuting distance to its core city. My daily commute is now 50 miles, which is like commuting to Rochester from Dansville, Clarence or Seneca Falls, perhaps.

iPhone

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

silverback1065

the northern suburbs of indianapolis are growing fast, idk how that compares to the us as a whole though

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on June 03, 2017, 12:33:15 AM
Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2017, 09:42:17 PM

It definitely wasn't when I was a kid; a trip to Canandaigua was undoubtedly seen as a day trip out of the city. The furthest reaches of suburbia were the retail district anchored by Eastview Mall, and perhaps the new subdivision at Gananda. Both of those settlement trends soon spread throughout Victor and into Farmington and northern Canandaigua town, such that now they are indeed suburbs of Rochester, and more particularly of eastern Monroe County where a fair number of businesses are now located.

Now, by Downstate standards, Canandaigua would be an easy commuting distance to its core city. My daily commute is now 50 miles, which is like commuting to Rochester from Dansville, Clarence or Seneca Falls, perhaps.

iPhone
It's amazing how fast the area is growing.  I remember when NY 332 was a two lane road through farm country.  Now it seems like there are more businesses every time I'm on the road.

JJBers

From what I looked, it seems the New England Metros are starting to slow in growth, so there isn't much to see really.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

pianocello

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 03, 2017, 09:23:59 AM
the northern suburbs of indianapolis are growing fast, idk how that compares to the us as a whole though

Carmel and Fishers never cease to amaze me in their ability to grow. Each of them has grown from around 37K in 2000 to over 90K in 2016, meaning over a hundred thousand people have moved into just these two cities in just 16 years!
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

silverback1065

Quote from: pianocello on June 03, 2017, 11:35:54 PM

Carmel and Fishers never cease to amaze me in their ability to grow. Each of them has grown from around 37K in 2000 to over 90K in 2016, meaning over a hundred thousand people have moved into just these two cities in just 16 years!
i'm one of them, i live in carmel, they have a ton of apartments there now.

JJBers

Quote from: pianocello on June 03, 2017, 11:35:54 PM

That's fast!
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Chris

Frisco, Texas grew from 33,700 in 2000 to 163,600 in 2016. Adjacent McKinney grew from 54,400 in 2000 to 172,300 in 2016. Both are northern suburbs of Dallas.

Most of suburban Houston is unincorporated. Harris County added 500,000 people just since 2010.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: JJBers on June 03, 2017, 11:24:28 PM
From what I looked, it seems the New England Metros are starting to slow in growth, so there isn't much to see really.

I was going to say that the NH suburbs of Boston have grown but I looked at the data and while there has been growth, it hasn't been as explosive as I may have perceived.

roadman65

Plant City, FL which for years had a buffer between it and Tampa is filling in slowly with development.  In ten years Plant City will be part of Tampa's suburbia as now it does still maintain its small town atmosphere and home to the March Strawberry Festival. I just hope, though, developers don't buy out the strawberry fields when they do that as not only is it food, but the area's heritage.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

Quote from: Chris on June 09, 2017, 08:25:47 AM
Frisco, Texas grew from 33,700 in 2000 to 163,600 in 2016. Adjacent McKinney grew from 54,400 in 2000 to 172,300 in 2016. Both are northern suburbs of Dallas.

Could it be that the Dallas suburbs are growing so rapidly partly because of annexation? Buckeye, Goodyear and some of west Phoenix suburbs have annexed huge swaths of land, which have inflated their numbers.

Road Hog

Quote from: golden eagle on June 09, 2017, 11:54:58 AM
Quote from: Chris on June 09, 2017, 08:25:47 AM

Could it be that the Dallas suburbs are growing so rapidly partly because of annexation? Buckeye, Goodyear and some of west Phoenix suburbs have annexed huge swaths of land, which have inflated their numbers.

Not really. Just about every city in Collin County has a boundary agreement with its neighbors. There may be unincorporated space within each city's area, but it's just a matter of filling it in.

Chris

I created a 2000-2016 gif of the Frisco / McKinney area. As you can see it's all new development. And this is quite a large area, the image spans over 20 miles from left to right.

jwolfer

St Johns County FL. Lots of suburban Jacksonville. St Johns County has best rated public schools in the state.

Development on what used to be tree farms and cattle land( good for shrooms back in the day) all gone now...  There is no real identity..some areas had Jacksonville mailing address, which they wanted to change because "by God we don't live in Jacksonville".. So a contest was done to rename it.. None of the previous small settlement names like Fruit Cove or Switzerland won the lame Saint Johns won.. Yes with saint spelled out.. Just so everyone knows you live in St Johns County. This part of Florida has too many things named for thr St Johns River.

Other areas have St Augustine mailing address but very different from historic city a few miles to the South

St Johns County had around 80k people in 1990 now approaching 300k

LGMS428

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Chris on June 09, 2017, 12:28:33 PM
I created a 2000-2016 gif of the Frisco / McKinney area. As you can see it's all new development. And this is quite a large area, the image spans over 20 miles from left to right.

Major props to those farmers in the middle of the .gif who refused to sell their land to developers.

JJBers

Did my own

Not as much growth
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

sparker

The "High Desert" area north of Cajon Pass along I-15 has been growing by leaps and bounds -- apparently even more so after I moved from the area 5 years ago.  Simple reason -- relatively cheap land -- and this growth pattern has been exacerbated by the "comeback" of the California housing market, with coastal areas and the valleys directly connecting to them experiencing high inflationary trends in terms of real estate.  As with the pre-2007 housing boom, the desert tends to offer the most house for the most money (as of mid-2012, a 3000sf 2-story house in Hesperia could be had for $250-300K depending upon specific location).  The commute down to the Inland Empire's a real slog; if one works in L.A. or Orange counties, it's a complete nightmare!  But enough folks are willing to undertake the effort if they feel or calculate that the rewards are at least compensatory.  IIRC, the last composite figures for the aggregate area (Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley, Adelanto, and Phelan) showed a population upward of 700K, with about 30% in unincorporated areas).  Conceptually, this is similar to the Bay Area commute to Tracy, Manteca, and other north San Joaquin Valley cities (substitute 580/Altamont for 15/Cajon!) -- but at least we don't get Mojave rattlers in our backyards up here!

kkt

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 10, 2017, 02:25:45 PM

Major props to those farmers in the middle of the .gif who refused to sell their land to developers.

That is, holding out for higher prices?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.