News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Vandalized signs

Started by hotdogPi, September 02, 2013, 02:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

http://goo.gl/maps/OQl4i

:angry: Someone did this to one of the few FHWA speed limit signs in the province.

freebrickproductions

This one here in Huntsville got vandalized rather recently:
Crosswalk Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thenetwork

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 15, 2015, 08:20:17 PM

Not necessary a vandals job.   Some of the PED XING signs do incorporate that "hula hoop" outline to indicate that pedestrians may be coming or going on either side(s) of the intersection.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: thenetwork on April 15, 2015, 08:36:49 PM

Not necessary a vandals job.   Some of the PED XING signs do incorporate that "hula hoop" outline to indicate that pedestrians may be coming or going on either side(s) of the intersection.

Well, this used to be a standard one before someone drew that "hula hoop" on it. They did it to the one on the back of this one as well, but the other side of the street is still the same.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Mr. Matté

This one here in Huntsville got vandalized rather recently:...

This must be a very local thing because I never heard of such a thing before-- had I come upon it as a driver before today the extra feature would have been useless to me.

Most intersections would have pedestrians coming from both sides anyway so what would be the reasoning behind warning drivers anyway?

roadfro

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 16, 2015, 07:28:21 AM
This one here in Huntsville got vandalized rather recently:...

This must be a very local thing because I never heard of such a thing before-- had I come upon it as a driver before today the extra feature would have been useless to me.

Most intersections would have pedestrians coming from both sides anyway so what would be the reasoning behind warning drivers anyway?

The hula hoop on the pedestrian is not a legitimate feature.

It can be tricky and seem like a real thing though. A few signs near my college campus got vandalized with this in recent years. The hoop was actually a clear sticker which, from a distance, a vehicle occupant wouldn't easily be able to discern the difference.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/17165989732/
I just noticed this one with spray paint on the directional arrows.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignGeek101

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 16, 2014, 10:12:11 PM
This one has been this way for several months now; I just now have been able to take a picture of it:

Really sad to see this sign like this. :-( Google Streetview's imagery is only a year old, and it's easy to see how much vandalism has occurred on this sign in one year.

The replacement will probably look like this, if they decide to replace it. I'm not a fan of Clearview numerals.

Yes, I know the arrow is wrong, couldn't find the right one for the job due to my lack of arrows.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/BVfHN

What did I say about a replacement sign? Was replaced sometime last week or early this week. Couldn't get my camera out fast enough. Took picture 2015/06/04.

Looks very similar to what I made back in December  :hmm: Minus the shorter arrow, 5WR, and lower radius of the border of course.  :-D

SignGeek101

Male pedestrians will be crossing in this area:

Pretty immature stuff, but hey, it's here.

talllguy

Some of the neighbors had to have heard that!

Close Range by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

ce929wax

There is one stop sign in my city that says "....listening to horrible music" underneath it.

SignGeek101

It's election time here... and that means Stop signs with so and so's name below the word 'stop'.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 16, 2015, 11:59:28 PM
It's election time here... and that means Stop signs with so and so's name below the word 'stop'.

If this happened in my neighborhood, I would change it to:  Stop "a Charlie" Harper 3 way, for all my 2 and half men fans.

noelbotevera

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 17, 2015, 12:34:45 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 16, 2015, 11:59:28 PM

If this happened in my neighborhood, I would change it to:  Stop "a Charlie" Harper 3 way, for all my 2 and half men fans.
Charlie missing ten cents? Could he pay the fare for the train?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jwolfer

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 16, 2015, 11:09:38 PM
Male pedestrians will be crossing in this area:

Pretty immature stuff, but hey, it's here.
I laughed with this..  I must be immature

hbelkins

Two frequent vandalisms of "deer crossing" signs in my area are giving the deer red Rudolph noses, and giving them penises.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SignGeek101

Reviving this for a minute:

Found this walking around my neighbourhood today:

roadfro

^ Can we talk for a minute about how unnecessarily large that (deprecated) "3 Way" placard is...?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

JoePCool14

Quote from: roadfro on March 08, 2016, 10:49:17 AM
^ Can we talk for a minute about how unnecessarily large that (deprecated) "3 Way" placard is...?

Especially considering it is in a residential neighborhood, that's the real-life equivalent of this:  :bigass:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2015, 04:40:27 PM
Two frequent vandalisms of "deer crossing" signs in my area are giving the deer red Rudolph noses, and giving them penises.
The red Rudolph noses are a common modification to deer crossing signs in Massachusetts - at one point, every deer crossing sign on I-93 between Medford and the New Hampshire line sported them.  There were also the moose crossing signs on I-190 in Sterling (the first such signs in the state) that somebody amended by adding a silouette of a squirrel to (making it a "moose and squirrel" crossing sign - or would that be "watch for JayWarding").
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SignGeek101

Quote from: roadfro on March 08, 2016, 10:49:17 AM

That's standard here. Lucky it's not in Helvetica.  :banghead:

peterj920

Jim

I would have preferred to get a picture of a much cleaner version of this sign last October.

Closer view: http://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/20151004/extraterrestrial-close.jpg
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

roadfro

Quote from: Jim on May 23, 2016, 08:06:23 AM
I would have preferred to get a picture of a much cleaner version of this sign last October.

Closer view: http://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/20151004/extraterrestrial-close.jpg

The design of the sign is unique* and, while kind of a cool tradition for visitors, all the stickers does somewhat detract from what is still a cool sign. I kinda wish NDOT would put these on an overhead gantry to reduce the amount of stickers that get placed. (They could still keep the post-mounted version at the rest area, as it is a good photo op.)

* "Unique" in this sense refers to the uniqueness of this 'named highway' guide sign. I have not seen NDOT do any other special designs for any other guide signs denoting highway names. (The US 50 "Loneliest Road in America" signs are the only other comparable thing out there, but these have no green so I don't think of them as traditional guide signs.) I think NDOT made two each of two different designs for the Extraterrestrial Highway signs in 1996, and posted all four at dedication (one sign at each end of the route, and one in each direction at Rachel).

jbnv

What's the deal with putting stickers on signs in Nevada and California? Why is it that people insist on doing that?

Quote from: roadfro on May 24, 2016, 12:56:58 AM
Quote from: Jim on May 23, 2016, 08:06:23 AM

The design of the sign is unique* and, while kind of a cool tradition for visitors, all the stickers does somewhat detract from what is still a cool sign. I kinda wish NDOT would put these on an overhead gantry to reduce the amount of stickers that get placed. (They could still keep the post-mounted version at the rest area, as it is a good photo op.)

* "Unique" in this sense refers to the uniqueness of this 'named highway' guide sign. I have not seen NDOT do any other special designs for any other guide signs denoting highway names. (The US 50 "Loneliest Road in America" signs are the only other comparable thing out there, but these have no green so I don't think of them as traditional guide signs.) I think NDOT made two each of two different designs for the Extraterrestrial Highway signs in 1996, and posted all four at dedication (one sign at each end of the route, and one in each direction at Rachel).
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.