News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New routing plan...formerly Albuquerque, NM to Austin, TX - Advice?

Started by salvatore, October 28, 2013, 09:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvatore

Hi all!

I'm sure many of you saw my post "Albuquerque, NM to Austin, TX - Advice?" that I was planning to rent Penske 12 footer truck to bring stuff for my mother-in-law.

That plan has been postponed, maybe next Spring. However I still promised my nieces and nephews that I would see them when I planned the trip with Penske truck...while still going for the wedding in Florida!

Anyway...I've decided to take my year old Prius C (yeah, that SMALL hybrid car! :wow:) I'm leaving next week to drive to Albuquerque to visit family/friends, then fly to Austin to see family before finally flying to Florida for the wedding... I'm more likely going for U.S. 50 from Sacramento via I-80 to Reno then 50 all the way to Salina, Utah then south to Moab, 4-corners and US 550 to Albuquerque. I wanted to experience "America's Lonest Highway" DURING autumn season going east.

Is this routing good? What do you recommend for fun road sign and roadside attractions (For food stop since I don't like Fast Food, they make me sick X-( )

I will return to Albuquerque via airplane then take my car back to northern California via I-40 to Needles then Historic U.S 66 to Barstow before going over on CA58 and up on I-5

Also, for a fun "Instagram" photo where exactly can I find "No services for 106 (or 110?) miles on I-70" going EAST (meaning in Salina, Utah)? If none is available, how about westbound I-70 east of Green River (I know the next exit is 15+ miles, risky to take U-turn in marked maiden???)

Thanks again! :wave:

Salvatore

JMoses24

Quote from: salvatore on October 28, 2013, 09:47:45 PM
Also, for a fun "Instagram" photo where exactly can I find "No services for 106 (or 110?) miles on I-70" going EAST (meaning in Salina, Utah)? If none is available, how about westbound I-70 east of Green River (I know the next exit is 15+ miles, risky to take U-turn in marked maiden???)

Thanks again! :wave:

Salvatore

That's apparently about 1.5 miles west of exit 56.

salvatore

Is it really enforced if someone took U-turn even if doing it safety in that 1.5 mile west of exit 56?

signalman

Quote from: salvatore on November 03, 2013, 01:00:42 AM
Is it really enforced if someone took U-turn even if doing it safety in that 1.5 mile west of exit 56?
You asked about the no services sign going eastbound.  JMoses answered you....you should find the sign 1.5 miles west of (before) the exit.

salvatore

Quote from: signalman on November 03, 2013, 03:25:43 AM
Quote from: salvatore on November 03, 2013, 01:00:42 AM
You asked about the no services sign going eastbound.  JMoses answered you....you should find the sign 1.5 miles west of (before) the exit.

Ah! I misread the milepost as in Green River   :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.