News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Providence to Cincinnati: Heading Home!

Started by JMoses24, June 08, 2014, 04:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

In my last couple posts, I chronicled my roadtrip from Cincinnati to Providence, RI. Today, I'll write about my trip back to Cincinnati which took place on May 21-22. As with the previous reports, I had no say in the routing whatsoever.

Starting in downtown Providence: Memorial Blvd west to I-95 south through Connecticut and New York State (clinching the route in these states) to NJ 495 (clinching that) through the Lincoln Tunnel to the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Notes: Pretty big project at I-95 and I-91 slowed traffic in downtown New Haven, but otherwise no huge delays.

From NYC, I got confused. I know we went back through the Lincoln Tunnel to I-95 south. But instead of taking I-78 which I thought we would do, we headed south on I-95 (and the NJ Turnpike) to I-276 to I-76 to I-376 to downtown Pittsburgh's Greyhound terminal.

Notes: The Pennsylvania Turnpike has multiple projects, including replacement of bridges between Mileposts 250 and 252 and widening between MP 207 and 211. I-376 into the Squirrel Hill Tunnel was a total cluster-foxtrot at 6:15 AM.

From downtown Pittsburgh, I-376 West to I-79 South to I-70 West to Wheeling, WV. Exited at Main Street and then traveled south to 16th Street.

Notes: No major projects, but the Fort Pitt tunnel, like Squirrel Hill, is a cluster-foxtrot. I have been told this is how folks in Pittsburgh are with tunnels.

From Wheeling, back north on Market street to get back on I-70 west (clinching that in WV AND Ohio, I already had most of I-70 in Ohio save the Wheeling stretch) to Exit 155 to Ohio 60 south to Main Street west to that city's Greyhound terminal.

Notes: I-70 is getting a bridge replacement in St Clairsville at OH SR 9. Multiple other bridge replacements ongoing in ODOT district 11 on I-70.

From Zanesville, back up Main Street to 6th Street to I-70 west into downtown Columbus, exiting to south 4th Street.

Notes: Bridge replacement on I-70 west of exit 129 over Canal Road. Of course, they're also working on the 70/71 interchange to the east of downtown Columbus.

From there, it was basically a reprisal of the route from Cincinnati to Columbus, but in the opposite direction and minus the trip through OSU. So I-70 west to I-71 south to Gilbert Avenue to downtown Cincinnati. See my earlier post on part 1 of the outbound trip. That area wasn't nearly as bad...until I hit Norwood. There, a crash with car fire had the northbound side closed and slowed the southbound lanes for THREE MILES with rubberneck delays.

The only things that stand between me and a clinch of the eastern I-76 is the section east of I-276; the part between the eastern terminus of I-376 in PA and the I-80/76 interchange in Ohio; and between OH SR 21 and I-71. I now have clinched I-95 (as it has existed) from I-495 in MD to downtown Providence. Truth be told, even without the Turnpike/95 project finished, I can basically say I've clinched 95 as it will exist down the line, as well. Also, sections of I-79 from I-376 to I-80 and from I-68 to I-64 remain to clinch that roadway in its entirety. I came oh-so-close to a clinch of I-90 in NY and MA, but am still missing the sections from I-787 to I-87; from I-290 to MA 146; and everything east of South Station.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.