News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 795 extension (NC)

Started by LM117, July 16, 2016, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Traffic will soon be detoured to the new exit ramps at Country Club Road.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-24-us-117-traffic-shift-in-wayne-county.aspx

QuoteTraffic will detour off U.S. 117 North in Wayne County starting next week to allow for the construction of a new bridge.

A contractor for the N.C. Department of Transportation is building a highway interchange at Country Club Road, south of Goldsboro. Traffic will need to detour off the highway at that location until the project is completed by next July.

Weather permitting, the shift will occur on Monday, Oct. 29, when northbound traffic will exit onto newly built ramps and come to an all-way stop. From there, motorists will be able to proceed back onto the highway and continue northward, or turn left or right onto Country Club Road.

In a few weeks, the contractor will do the same for U.S. 117 South, detouring traffic onto new ramps and coming to a stop at Country Club Road.

Once both directions of U.S. 117 are being detoured, workers will begin moving dirt to elevate the land where the future bridges will go over Country Club Road.

Last year, NCDOT awarded a $20.6 million contract to S.T. Wooten Corp. of Wilson to upgrade the highway's intersections with O'Berry and Country Club roads into interchanges. With the work, O'Berry Road now goes over U.S. 117, and that interchange is scheduled to open by the end of November.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

NCDOT is holding 3 public meetings to discuss upgrading US-117 to interstate standards between Goldsboro and I-40. First meeting is Nov. 29 in Faison, second meeting is Dec. 3 in Goldsboro, and third meeting is Dec. 4 in Mount Olive.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-117-goldsboro/Pages/default.aspx

Kulerage

I feel like once this is done, US 117 will be no more

LM117

Quote from: Kulerage on November 15, 2018, 09:33:26 PM

I wouldn't place any bets on it.

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on November 16, 2018, 07:05:32 AM

That's probably correct; NC tends to hold on to their US routes (parallel to Interstates or not) for dear life!  AASHTO may piss & moan a bit, but NC seems to prefer to "add-on" to the status quo rather than simply replace it!

Kulerage

Quote from: sparker on November 16, 2018, 06:41:32 PM

That's probably correct; NC tends to hold on to their US routes (parallel to Interstates or not) for dear life!  AASHTO may piss & moan a bit, but NC seems to prefer to "add-on" to the status quo rather than simply replace it!
Well, cool! Good to know

jcarte29

Quote from: Kulerage on November 16, 2018, 06:51:26 PM

Well, cool! Good to know

Except for US 311 lmao
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

froggie

You seem to have a misunderstanding about what AASHTO actually does and how it feels (in the latter, they simply don't).  For starters, you're aware that AASHTO's route numbering committee is made up of four representatives from different state DOT's, right?  In terms of what the "roadgeek community" is interested in,  AASHTO does not have its own people, but instead reps from the various state DOT's.

RoadPelican

US 117 is far too important in Wilmington for it too be downgraded from an US Route.  US 117 aka College Road and Shipyard Boulevard is the one of the busiest roads in Wilmington going right past UNCW and ending at the State Port.  It also carries a lot of traffic  to Carolina and Kure Beaches. 

LM117

Quote from: RoadPelican on November 17, 2018, 12:28:45 PM
US 117 is far too important in Wilmington for it too be downgraded from an US Route.  US 117 aka College Road and Shipyard Boulevard is the one of the busiest roads in Wilmington going right past UNCW and ending at the State Port.  It also carries a lot of traffic  to Carolina and Kure Beaches.

I think Kulerage was referring to the stretch between Goldsboro and I-40 near Faison, much of which will be concurrent with I-795. I think there's a pretty good chance US-117 Connector will be decommissioned once I-795 is signed, but that's all. I don't see any reason to decommission US-117 since I-795 will be following a new alignment between the fairgrounds area and Ash Street in Goldsboro.

Another new alignment for I-795 will likely have to be built between NC-50 and I-40 south of the existing interchange. I can't see NCDOT upgrading that interchange now that the Enviva wood pellet plant is right there, much to Duplin County's consternation.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
Actually, that goes to my point -- by utilizing four DOT reps on, from what I understand, is a rotating basis, there is little "skin in the game", so to speak, at the SCOURN meetings.  While ostensibly unbiased, the basis for decisions may well lie with factors other than simple adherence to a set of principles (institutional values/rules meet the vagaries of the human decision-making process -- a priori meets situational realities).  Utilizing a step-by-step scenario, let's examine the progress of the I-87 decision back in 2016:
     Step 1:  NCDOT, not wanting to renumber any state routes near the facility in question (US 17 & US 64/HPC #13), decides that the only numbers that would work for them were odd rather than even, although the corridor was decidedly more east-west than north-south; they subsequently submit "I-89" to SCOURN for consideration, since NC 89 was clear across the state.
     Step 2:  SCOURN meets in Des Moines; during the course of that meeting they clearly indicate that deference to existing state highways is not a sufficient reason to reject an appropriate Interstate number for the corridor.
     Step 3:  Rather than choose an even number from the rather full pool from 42 to 62, they somehow accept the notion -- an artifice posited by NCDOT to avoid state highway conflict, a premise itself soundly rejected by SCOURN -- that the corridor should receive an odd number!  But they reject the I-89 designation, replacing it with I-87 on the basis that it lines up slightly better longitudinally! (not taking into consideration that most of the corridor in question lies east of I-95; the most appropriate odd number would have been I-97, since that definitely lines up on a longitudinal basis).  In other words, SCOURN rejected the premise that they deemed false but accepted one of its more spurious tenets that was forwarded in service to that original premise.

If, as stated above, AASHTO doesn't have its own people but is substantially comprised of delegates from the various DOT's -- maybe that is an issue in itself when it comes to decisions like that described above.  Perhaps the poor delegates to the SCOURN meetings are just overworked; adding AASHTO duties to their own in-state concerns and having to schlep hundreds if not thousands of miles for a less-than-a-week conference might not be the atmosphere most conducive to reasoned decisions. 

But it is what it is, at least for the time being.  Perhaps a small professional staff or a team of consultants who vet the submissions prior to the meetings -- and assemble synopses with recommendations or viable alternates -- would help to iron out the discrepancies. 

At least we in the "roadgeek community" have something in common -- we pay attention to detail & context (well, at least a decent percentage of us!).   

oscar

Quote from: sparker on November 17, 2018, 01:00:10 PM
If, as stated above, AASHTO doesn't have its own people but is substantially comprised of delegates from the various DOT's -- maybe that is an issue in itself when it comes to decisions like that described above.  Perhaps the poor delegates to the SCOURN meetings are just overworked; adding AASHTO duties to their own in-state concerns and having to schlep hundreds if not thousands of miles for a less-than-a-week conference might not be the atmosphere most conducive to reasoned decisions. 

But it is what it is, at least for the time being.  Perhaps a small professional staff or a team of consultants who vet the submissions prior to the meetings -- and assemble synopses with recommendations or viable alternates -- would help to iron out the discrepancies.

AASHTO has a professional staff of about 120, some of whom we've met in person. However, AASHTO covers a lot of ground, including functions having nothing to do with route numbering. It's not clear whether its staff includes people who can or do help with route numbering applications.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

sparker

Quote from: oscar on November 17, 2018, 07:07:09 PM
AASHTO has a professional staff of about 120, some of whom we've met in person. However, AASHTO covers a lot of ground, including functions having nothing to do with route numbering. It's not clear whether its staff includes people who can or do help with route numbering applications.

Since AASHTO's SCOURN arm has been delegated as the functional governing body regarding numbering decisions, it might behoove the organization to at least assign some of those 120 folks the vetting task as I previously suggested (or add a few more if all the present staff is occupied with other concerns).  Obviously there is some sort of working group that assembles the applications into the usual "laundry list"; providing background information that provides needed context for the applications might lessen the possibility of misapplied or arbitrary decision-making by the SCOURN ad hoc members. 

froggie

^ It's the responsibility of the respective state DOTs to submit that background information with their applications.  Numbering decisions can and have been denied on the basis of not enough background info.

sparker

Quote from: froggie on November 18, 2018, 06:51:58 AM
^ It's the responsibility of the respective state DOTs to submit that background information with their applications.  Numbering decisions can and have been denied on the basis of not enough background info.

All well & good.  However, it would be useful if the process regarding how decisions are parsed out -- particularly when designations are changed or parameters altered by the committee -- were a bit more transparent and less arbitrary.  SCOURN seems to have a quite a bit of interpretational latitude within their decision process; some of their decisions have seemed to "dance around" the issue -- it would be useful, at least from an analytical standpoint, to know the steps of that dance!  If one gets the impression that I have issues with a handful of delegates, regardless of pedigree, rendering decisions that affect both the submitting DOT's and the driving public -- without some sort of regularized review process, that impression would be correct (I'm not particularly deferential to institutions).  And yes, I know FHWA can accept or reject the committees' recommendations -- but more often than not simply doesn't expend the resources to examine and possibly "second-guess" those decisions and "rubber-stamps" them as a matter of course.   And the quality and appropriateness of those decisions has varied widely -- they've gotten it right (on the "big stuff") some of the time, and failed on others.  What might be useful would be a way for SCOURN to contextualize the submissions prior to the decision process (likely something that would need to be done by their staff) with whatever background material is included with the submission vetted within that process.  And perhaps a "post-mortem" review process would be useful once a preliminary decision has been reached.  In short, give the committee more resources with which to work -- and if the meeting time needs to be increased a few days to more fully examine the submitted materials, so be it.   I'm presupposing these folks want to do the right thing; simply institute practices that make it easier for them to do so.     

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on November 09, 2018, 08:17:00 AM
NCDOT is holding 3 public meetings to discuss upgrading US-117 to interstate standards between Goldsboro and I-40. First meeting is Nov. 29 in Faison, second meeting is Dec. 3 in Goldsboro, and third meeting is Dec. 4 in Mount Olive.

Here's today's press release:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-11-26-ncdot-seeks-input-us-117-upgrade.aspx

mvak36

Quote from: LM117 on November 26, 2018, 12:31:54 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 09, 2018, 08:17:00 AM

Here's today's press release:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-11-26-ncdot-seeks-input-us-117-upgrade.aspx

I found this article talking about the public meetings: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article222198290.html
NCDOT is still two years away from having the first conceptual designs showing what the 24-mile road would look like, said spokesman Andrew Barksdale. And the state has budgeted money to build only the first seven miles, between Genoa Road south of Goldsboro to Country Club Drive north of Mount Olive, starting in 2027.

Converting U.S. 117 to an interstate will be most difficult in Goldsboro, where the road functions as a busy city street. A feasibility study completed in 2015 shows four possible routes through and around the current path of U.S. 117 at Goldsboro, and Barksdale said none of them has been ruled out yet.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

Having grew up there, I still keep in touch with friends in that area and word on the street is that the one big improvement that everyone (including myself) is looking forward to is having a second major Neuse River crossing. As I mentioned before, US-117 is currently the only major crossing and that area is very flood prone. Most recently during Hurricane Florence, US-117 through there was down to one lane each way and it was a parking lot. It took people roughly 1 to 2 hours getting through there because of the heavy traffic. It creates an even bigger problem when the US-117 crossing is completely shut down, since the southern half of the county is essentially cut off from Goldsboro. Big problem for ambulances trying to get to the hospital. A new alignment I-795 crossing with bridges ideally built at a higher elevation would be a very welcome sight.

Given the numerous businesses and terrain along US-117 through Mar-Mac, there's no way to upgrade the existing road there without causing a lot of damage. I still think Alternative 4A from the feasibility study is the way to go and is also the route that the county seems to favor the most.

LM117

Lately, NCDOT has been telling the Goldsboro News-Argus that the O'Berry Road interchange will open at the end of November. Now it's been pushed back (yet again :banghead:) to December 31.

https://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/IncidentDetail.aspx?id=518452

We're visiting a family friend in Goldsboro next week, so I'll head down US-117 and try to get some pics of the interchange construction, as well as the one at Country Club Road.

LM117

Looks like Santa came early. The O'Berry Road interchange is expected to open by 10:00 this morning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NCDOT_Scoast/status/1075531478098939904

Quote from: LM117 on November 30, 2018, 11:04:28 AMWe're visiting a family friend in Goldsboro next week, so I'll head down US-117 and try to get some pics of the interchange construction, as well as the one at Country Club Road.

That trip got pushed back to next year (probably January or February) so if anybody goes through there and manages to get pics, by all means share.

sprjus4

With the opening of the O'Berry Rd interchange, has the speed limit been raised to 65 or 70 MPH on that stretch, now that it's all a freeway (except at Country Club Rd where a work zone speed limit is in place), or are they going to wait until both are completed to raise it?

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 05, 2019, 06:43:10 PM
With the opening of the O'Berry Rd interchange, has the speed limit been raised to 65 or 70 MPH on that stretch, now that it's all a freeway (except at Country Club Rd where a work zone speed limit is in place), or are they going to wait until both are completed to raise it?

As far as I know, there has been no mention of raising the speed limit anytime soon, though NCDOT has indicated in the past that it will be 70mph once all of the I-795 extension work is complete.

However, I see no reason why it couldn't be at least 65mph between US-117 Alternate and the NC-55 interchange in Mount Olive. As someone that grew up in the area and drove US-117 countless times, I can say firsthand that the 55mph speed limit is ignored by almost everybody.

Fun fact about the former O'Berry Road intersection: NCDOT put the traffic light there in 2004 without informing Wayne County. Once the county Board of Commissioners found out about it, they were furious and ripped NCDOT a new asshole. They did NOT want a light there and for good reason. Even the nearby Dudley fire department said the traffic light was a bad idea since they responded to many more calls at that intersection after the traffic light was installed.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on January 06, 2019, 11:05:22 AM

As far as I know, there has been no mention of raising the speed limit anytime soon, though NCDOT has indicated in the past that it will be 70mph once all of the I-795 extension work is complete.

However, I see no reason why it couldn't be at least 65mph between US-117 Alternate and the NC-55 interchange in Mount Olive. As someone that grew up in the area and drove US-117 countless times, I can say firsthand that the 55mph speed limit is ignored by almost everybody.

Fun fact about the former O'Berry Road intersection: NCDOT put the traffic light there in 2004 without informing Wayne County. Once the county Board of Commissioners found out about it, they were furious and ripped NCDOT a new asshole. They did NOT want a light there and for good reason. Even the nearby Dudley fire department said the traffic light was a bad idea since they responded to many more calls at that intersection after the traffic light was installed.
Okay. Just figured I'd ask because NCDOT has raised speed limits on stretches silently when new interchanges open - for instance on US 74, the speed was 60 because of a couple at-grade intersections, but when they built interchanges there, they raised that part to 70. Once the Country Club interchange is complete, US 117 will be a full freeway for 8.5 miles from US 117 Alt to Main St (south of NC-55), and would be eligible for a 70 MPH speed.

At least the O'Berry Rd intersection is now an interchange and there's no more conflict. Weird NCDOT would just install a signal though without notice.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 06, 2019, 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: LM117 on January 06, 2019, 11:05:22 AM

At least the O'Berry Rd intersection is now an interchange and there's no more conflict. Weird NCDOT would just install a signal though without notice.

I should've been more specific. NCDOT proposed the traffic light to the county commissioners, but the commissioners were adamantly opposed to it since they did not want anything to impede traffic flow on US-117 than already existed and they had safety concerns as well, which later proved to be well-founded. NCDOT seemingly gave up on the idea until a couple of months later during the summer of 2004 when the traffic light sprung up seemingly overnight without warning. Everybody was pissed...as they should've been. That light should never have been put there to begin with.

At any rate, that interchange is a much welcome improvement.

LM117

https://www.newsargus.com/news/section-of-country-club-road-to-close/article_bb78071e-37f2-11e9-ba8c-d77112478560.html

QuoteMOUNT OLIVE – The section of Country Club Road between the northbound and southbound lanes of U.S. 117 will be closed starting Monday.

The closure is needed in order for S.T. Wooten Co. of Wilson to continue construction of interchange at Country Club Road and U.S. 117, just north of town.

Work on the Country Club Road project, which will take U.S. 117 over Country Club Road, started January 2018 and is scheduled for completion in July.

Both northbound and southbound lanes of U.S. 117 at the intersection have been closed since last fall. Traffic is being routed onto the interchange ramps.

"Traffic in both directions will exit the highway, come to a stop, then they can get back onto the highway,"  said state Department of Transportation spokesman Andrew Barksdale. "This is part of the work to build an interchange here. As you know, we opened the O'Berry Road interchange just up the road in December. And now we are finishing the interchange at this intersection. Same contract.

"This interchange will open sometime this summer. These kind of occasional detours will occur until the interchange is completed and opened to traffic. We went through the same process last year for O'Berry Road."

The interchange is part of a $20.6 million project that also includes the interchange that opened in December at U.S. 117 and O'Berry Road at Dudley.

Both intersections carry an average of 15,000 vehicles per day, and that number is expected to increase to more than 27,000 per day by 2037, according to DOT data.

Both interchanges are being built to enhance safety and in preparation for U.S. 117 eventually being designated as Interstate 795 in this area, transportation officials said.

For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on Twitter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.