News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCatalyst31

In the Madison area, WI 92 ends at a roundabout in Mount Horeb, and WI 138 ends at a roundabout in Oregon.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on March 12, 2018, 10:19:30 PM
In the Madison area, WI 92 ends at a roundabout in Mount Horeb, and WI 138 ends at a roundabout in Oregon.

LOL clearly this was not as unusual a circumstance as I thought it was!

JREwing78

Construction is moving forward again on the I-39/90 corridor south of Madison after a long winter. Work was done last week to set up two-way traffic (separated by concrete median barrier) on the SBD roadway south of Racine St. in Janesville (exit 175). They're working this week on setting up two-way traffic on the SBD roadway between US-12/18 and just north of the US-51 exit (exit 156). The NBD side will be rebuilt and widened this summer to set up for a rebuild and widening of the SBD roadway next year.

Brochure:
https://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/wp-content/uploads/sites/145/I39-90Project-2018ConstructionGuide.pdf

Roadguy

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 19, 2018, 11:40:36 PM
Construction is moving forward again on the I-39/90 corridor south of Madison after a long winter. Work was done last week to set up two-way traffic (separated by concrete median barrier) on the SBD roadway south of Racine St. in Janesville (exit 175). They're working this week on setting up two-way traffic on the SBD roadway between US-12/18 and just north of the US-51 exit (exit 156). The NBD side will be rebuilt and widened this summer to set up for a rebuild and widening of the SBD roadway next year.

Brochure:
https://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/wp-content/uploads/sites/145/I39-90Project-2018ConstructionGuide.pdf

Definitely enjoying it as it progresses and it's neat to see the project progress every time I drive through it towards Chicago. It's kind of sad to think it's the beginning of the end of the majors program.  Most of the significant improvements across the state over the last 25+ years have been funded out of the program.

mgk920

I received this email from WisDOT yesterday (2018-03-21):

(Subject) WisDOT update: WisDOT no longer mapping a future location for US 10 between I-39 and Lake Drive

For several years, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) has been working to map a future location for US 10 between I-39 (Stevens Point) and Lake Drive (Amherst Junction), in Portage County. We are writing to inform you that the department is no longer pursuing a future location for US 10. The US 10 corridor study is officially closed.

Our decision to discontinue mapping a future location was based on updated traffic data, feedback received through public outreach activities, and a public hearing conducted in 2017.

We plan to focus future efforts on maintaining the existing US 10 alignment. We will also continue to monitor the safety and operations of the highway to determine if any improvements are required. 

Environmental documents and other information about the corridor preservation effort is available on the WisDOT website: wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/nc/us10portage/default.aspx

If you require any additional information, please feel free to contact our region's Planning and Programming Supervisor, Shannon Riley, at (715) 421-8326 or shannonp.riley@dot.wi.gov.

Sincerely,

Michael Wendt, P.E.

WisDOT North Central Region Systems Planning Manager

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

:banghead:

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

I thought the development and numbers were no longer meeting growth expectations for when that study was opened. If there's no longer a need to realign US 10, there should be no realignment.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 22, 2018, 06:57:03 PM
I thought the development and numbers were no longer meeting growth expectations for when that study was opened. If there's no longer a need to realign US 10, there should be no realignment.

It really isn't that terrible of a stretch.  Improving that corridor should be good enough.

Highway63

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 28, 2018, 02:45:59 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 27, 2018, 11:00:35 PM
Remember the roundabout that existed at the temporary end of the US 12 freeway north of Baraboo?  When the new freeway around Baraboo opened, they tore out the temporary connection, roundabout included.  They left behind, however, the landscaping that was once in the middle of the roundabout.  This little cluster of red cedars will mark the roundabout's former location for the a long time.  Look for them as you're passing on by.

You just found someone's favorite roundabout!
BEST. ROUNDABOUT. EVER.

The Ghostbuster

I noticed that the US 10 corridor preservation study (Stevens Point to Amherst Junction) has been terminated, as the DOT had proposed. What is the likelihood that existing US 10 might eventually be upgraded to freeway standards (at least to the existing CTH-J interchange)?

mgk920

I've been off and on working on ideas towards that end, mainly centering on adding a new EB roadway in the very generous median between County 'J' and WI 161 with a narrow median to match the highway under County 'J' and the current EB side to become a frontage/access road.  Include grade separations where needed (County 'K' at Custer, County 'QQ' and Ridge Rd) along with a new diamond interchange at WI 161 on a slightly new alignment.  Feed the former EB side frontage road into WI 161 and mitigate wetlands as needed.  Also add a new grade separation at County 'K' east of WI 161 to clear both the existing highway and the adjacent CN mainline.  Make the former EB side frontage road between WI 161 and Custer into a reroute of County 'K'(?)

West of County 'J', add a two-way frontage road on each side and a median barrier westward to Badger Ave in the City of Stevens Point and allow for a future north-south overcrossing to line up with Burbank Rd, to be built when development warrants.

West of Badger Ave, I would consult with the Gurus at TxDOT on a frontage road, slip ramp and free-flow interchange setup to make the I-39 connection.  (This last part could make a good challenge for the Redesigning Interchanges thread in the Fictional Highways forvm in here.   :nod: )

-------------

One beauty of this is that it can be done in small affordable chunks and could well cost less in total than doing the full monty new-alignment thing.

Mike

dvferyance

US 10 is fine the way it is between Appleton and Stevens Point.

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on March 26, 2018, 09:51:15 PM
I thought the development and numbers were no longer meeting growth expectations for when that study was opened. If there’s no longer a need to realign US 10, there should be no realignment.

For us here in the Fox Valley, those signals just east of I-39 in Stevens Point are a pain in the neck, especially when compared with how US 10 is done at our end.

:verymad:

Mike

midwesternroadguy

The 2018 WisDOT County maps were posted this week.  These are notable updates:

*completion of the US 12 Baraboo bypass to Ski-hi Road (shown as freeway)
*completion of the STH 64 St. Croix River Bridge and approach freeway (not shown to the state line though)
*completion of multi-lane US 18/STH 60 east of Prairie du Chien
*incorporation of Salem Lakes in Kenosha County (but they missed the incorporation of Somers)

Ongoing errors still not addressed: multiple freeways, such as the Madison Beltline, shown as multi-lane divided highways in a number of counties.  Why were these ever "declassified"  anyway?   While other orphan freeways, such as STH 64 in St Croix County are correctly depicted?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on March 29, 2018, 01:45:46 PM
Ongoing errors still not addressed: multiple freeways, such as the Madison Beltline, shown as multi-lane divided highways in a number of counties.  Why were these ever "declassified"  anyway?   While other orphan freeways, such as STH 64 in St Croix County are correctly depicted?
The Beltline has been shown wrong on those county maps forever.  Then that garbage bled into the official state highway map. :banghead
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on March 27, 2018, 12:10:09 AM

For us here in the Fox Valley, those signals just east of I-39 in Stevens Point are a pain in the neck, especially when compared with how US 10 is done at our end.

:verymad:

Mike
Ok but not everything has to be perfect.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on March 29, 2018, 01:45:46 PM
The 2018 WisDOT County maps were posted this week.  These are notable updates:

*completion of the US 12 Baraboo bypass to Ski-hi Road (shown as freeway)
*completion of the STH 64 St. Croix River Bridge and approach freeway (not shown to the state line though)
*completion of multi-lane US 18/STH 60 east of Prairie du Chien
*incorporation of Salem Lakes in Kenosha County (but they missed the incorporation of Somers)

Do you know why the Baraboo bypass is shown as a freeway on the county map but still listed as a multilane divided highway on the official state highway map?
Forget the I-41 haters

MantyMadTown

I also have another note, even though it's not directly related to highways (please tell me if it's still appropriate for this thread):
So I've noticed the Wisconsin Department of Transportation has been building a new office, and on the DOT website it said they just made the move to the new building official. My question is, how come I haven't seen the new building on Google Maps yet?
Forget the I-41 haters

DaBigE

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 30, 2018, 02:09:38 AM
I also have another note, even though it's not directly related to highways (please tell me if it's still appropriate for this thread):
So I've noticed the Wisconsin Department of Transportation has been building a new office, and on the DOT website it said they just made the move to the new building official. My question is, how come I haven't seen the new building on Google Maps yet?

It takes time. No one likely has submitted the change to Google.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Are WisDOT offices typically on Google Maps? I don't believe any WSDOT offices are. In fact, I fell out of my chair laughing at MantyMadTown's question because it was genuinely the last thing I expected anyone to wonder (since it's totally normal for things like this to not be on GMaps in my area).

MantyMadTown

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2018, 04:15:18 PM
Are WisDOT offices typically on Google Maps? I don't believe any WSDOT offices are. In fact, I fell out of my chair laughing at MantyMadTown's question because it was genuinely the last thing I expected anyone to wonder (since it's totally normal for things like this to not be on GMaps in my area).

The old one certainly was. I think it was removed since they moved into the new building.
Forget the I-41 haters

Although the stretch heading west from Appleton where it's still freeway could stand to be raised to 70 mph as opposed to an unexplained, unnecessary, and nearly idiosyncratic 65.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: 20160805 on April 01, 2018, 07:18:48 AM

Although the stretch heading west from Appleton where it's still freeway could stand to be raised to 70 mph as opposed to an unexplained, unnecessary, and nearly idiosyncratic 65.
Yeah it really feels like you should go 70 over there. I think they only reserve 70 for interstates? I haven't really noticed too much
Forget the I-41 haters

tribar

Quote from: MantyMadTown on April 01, 2018, 08:53:20 PM

Yeah it really feels like you should go 70 over there. I think they only reserve 70 for interstates? I haven't really noticed too much

Nah, US 12 between Genoa City and Wis 67 is 70. Maybe they reserve it for rural interstate standard freeways?

SSOWorld

And 51 north of 29 east in Wausau to Merrill (to Lincoln Dr.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Big John

Quote from: tribar on April 01, 2018, 09:03:45 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on April 01, 2018, 08:53:20 PM

Nah, US 12 between Genoa City and Wis 67 is 70. Maybe they reserve it for rural interstate standard freeways?
Per law, it must be an Interstate-quality freeway to be 70.

Other examples are WI 54/57 and WI 29 for short stretches by Green Bay. and US 41 from the end of I-41 to Abrams.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.