News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Abandoned Rest Areas

Started by Brandon, January 10, 2014, 01:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AABattery

It's demolished now but there's a service plaza off I-77 North a bit past Princeton (@ MM17) that's now just a parking lot and some rubble. It's currently being remodeled, so it'll be back in some time
- AABattery :)

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

Avatar is my most recent clinched route

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AABattery on January 19, 2024, 11:14:54 PM
It's demolished now but there's a service plaza off I-77 North a bit past Princeton (@ MM17) that's now just a parking lot and some rubble.

They're 'remodeling' it.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZWuiTtm7JYnKHQ369

Not abandoning it.

AABattery

- AABattery :)

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

Avatar is my most recent clinched route

Revive 755

US 50 in Illinois just west of the Indiana border.  The 1999 Google Earth imagery shows the building, but the 2003 imagery does not.

doglover44

I noticed on W bound I-70 the rest area in OH right before the IN boarder is gone

i

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: sirrobyn0 on December 18, 2023, 10:49:01 PMOk I've got a couple more I'd like to share in Washington and then I'll hit a couple I know about in Oregon. 

So I don't remember this rest stop, or wayside, but I've had a few people give me vague information about it and maybe just maybe someone here will have some additional information or maybe be able to look on an old Washington state highway map. 

So this was on highway 202 between Redmond and Fall City, Wa.  The most likely locations would be at either end of the measurement on the map.  https://maps.app.goo.gl/1Typ1n8S7MrK8aNH6  I've been told that there may have been a small camping loop at this rest stop.  But I'm not banking to much stock into that, but it's possible.  It would have been closed in the 70's some time I think.  I know little else.  Maybe someone can help me out with this.

Thanks.

I immediately consulted my old maps when I read the above post months ago, but found nothing. Just now I saw the 1985 WSDOT inventory video on SR-202, and here is the rest stop, right where you guessed it would be.  I have it cued up to where the driver announces the sign for the rest stop.

https://youtu.be/QP2VCeiYs24?si=ipIb0WoXhYnrfgZJ&t=1283

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 20, 2024, 11:33:04 PMUS 50 in Illinois just west of the Indiana border.  The 1999 Google Earth imagery shows the building, but the 2003 imagery does not.

I believe that was to be an IL welcome center, had I-64 followed the 50/150 route to Louisville from St. Louis via Lawrenceville/Vincennes
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.