News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Biggest number of letters in a street name?

Started by KCRoadFan, January 10, 2024, 12:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2024, 02:48:24 PM
I will also nominate Fairport Nine Mile Point Road (NY 250). Yes, it has a big number of letters (25, to be exact), but stick with me on this one; the word "nine" is the second-highest number spelled out in word form in any road name outside of a numbered street system. Ten-Ten Rd south of Raleigh is the highest, and anything higher than ten is either written in numeral form or grammatically incorrect.

Quote from: elsmere241 on January 26, 2024, 01:15:00 PM
It got its name because its state number is 1010.  I think the sign on US 64 calls it "Ten Ten", but when you get off 64 on the Apex side, it's signed Center Street because that's Apex's name for it.  Cary signs it "SR 1010" last I checked.

Since we are slightly off-topic, we've also got "West Ten Road" between Efland -and- Mebane, in Orange County, North Carolina.  It is the old route of NC-10, the predecessor to US-70.  As far as I can tell, this section was bypassed to the north of the railroad about 1926 just prior to the original posting of US-70 through Orange County.  In a curious twist, some of the robo-address platforms such as Zillow and Trulia can't quite grasp this naming convention and have recently started incorrectly posting addresses as "W. 10th Road".  (On the other side of Hillsborough, there used to be signs for "Old Number Ten", but that road was straightened improved in the past decade and the signs now read "Old NC 10".  Similarly, that section was also bypassed just before US-70 got posted).

mrsman

Quote from: mgk920 on January 26, 2024, 01:07:01 PM
Quote from: mrsman on January 25, 2024, 01:54:58 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 17, 2024, 10:45:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 16, 2024, 06:22:35 PM
Someone want to dig up "For Every Christopher Bebop Martin" or whatever those ridiculous signs in Miami said?

Can someone explain to me how it is at all beneficial to rename a street to honor three separate people, as opposed to renaming three separate streets to honor those three separate people?

Raymond Ray Britton (who was a WWII veteran)
Carrie P. Meek (Congresswoman)
Dr. T. Stewart Greer (Interim superintendent of public school system)

Also, when was it considered to be advantageous to use the honorees' full names rater than just their simple last names?

Mike

I am less bothered by that, even though it means more words in the name, because when the people that they are honoring now are not as famous as people that were honored 100 years ago.

Let's take MLK for an example.  If you just put in King st, would you assume that it's to honor MLK, rather than some other historical figures with the name King (or perhaps referring to the actual king, especially in parts of the country that were established before 1776).

In fact, King county in the state of Washington was originally named for VP William R King.  As he was a slaveholder, it was non-PC to keep honoring him, so in 2005, the state declared that King county was meant to honor MLK instead.

So with the example in Miami, having the full names of the people who are honored on 27 Ave was very helpful to google and determine why they are being so honored, but why honor more than one person with the same street?  Nobody knows!

mrsman

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 26, 2024, 06:44:28 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2024, 02:48:24 PM
I will also nominate Fairport Nine Mile Point Road (NY 250). Yes, it has a big number of letters (25, to be exact), but stick with me on this one; the word "nine" is the second-highest number spelled out in word form in any road name outside of a numbered street system. Ten-Ten Rd south of Raleigh is the highest, and anything higher than ten is either written in numeral form or grammatically incorrect.

Quote from: elsmere241 on January 26, 2024, 01:15:00 PM
It got its name because its state number is 1010.  I think the sign on US 64 calls it "Ten Ten", but when you get off 64 on the Apex side, it's signed Center Street because that's Apex's name for it.  Cary signs it "SR 1010" last I checked.

Since we are slightly off-topic, we've also got "West Ten Road" between Efland -and- Mebane, in Orange County, North Carolina.  It is the old route of NC-10, the predecessor to US-70.  As far as I can tell, this section was bypassed to the north of the railroad about 1926 just prior to the original posting of US-70 through Orange County.  In a curious twist, some of the robo-address platforms such as Zillow and Trulia can't quite grasp this naming convention and have recently started incorrectly posting addresses as "W. 10th Road".  (On the other side of Hillsborough, there used to be signs for "Old Number Ten", but that road was straightened improved in the past decade and the signs now read "Old NC 10".  Similarly, that section was also bypassed just before US-70 got posted).

I'm sure you'd love Sacramento's Teneighth Way:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Teneighth+Way,+Sacramento,+CA+95818/@38.5482489,-121.5047447,17.33z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x809ad108a2311203:0x559f4dd7347047f9!8m2!3d38.5480615!4d-121.5029422!16s%2Fg%2F1tdhm1xq?entry=ttu

Since the grids don't line up perfectly, the road connects 10th Ave in the east to 8th Ave in the west.  Between Riverside and Land Park, the roadway could have very easily just been renamed 9th Ave, as it sits between 8th and 10th.  The name Teneighth just seems very silly, a very good candidate for a renaming to honor a local person, IMO.

mgk920

Quote from: mrsman on February 03, 2024, 07:50:15 PM

In fact, King county in the state of Washington was originally named for VP William R King.  As he was a slaveholder, it was non-PC to keep honoring him, so in 2005, the state declared that King county was meant to honor MLK instead.

So with the example in Miami, having the full names of the people who are honored on 27 Ave was very helpful to google and determine why they are being so honored, but why honor more than one person with the same street?  Nobody knows!

Or Rufus King (a signer of the original 1797 Constitution) High School in Milwaukee, WI.

Mike

Big John

mgk920

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.