News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What are some infill interchanges you know of?

Started by RM42, February 10, 2024, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

At one point there was a proposal for an infill interchange dubbed "Exit 2A" on I-90 in western Massachusetts at the infamous 30 mile exit less stretch, which would've been built in Blandford which failed due to complaints from the locals.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Rothman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 18, 2024, 12:31:45 PM
At one point there was a proposal for an infill interchange dubbed "Exit 2A" on I-90 in western Massachusetts at the infamous 30 mile exit less stretch, which would've been built in Blandford which failed due to complaints from the locals.
Somewhere on this forum is an in-depth and more clarifying discussion on more recent versions of this proposal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

fwydriver405

Quote from: Rothman on February 18, 2024, 12:40:25 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 18, 2024, 12:31:45 PM
Somewhere on this forum is an in-depth and more clarifying discussion on more recent versions of this proposal.

This is from 2020, but close to what you're talking about:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.msg2550254#msg2550254

ElishaGOtis

I-10 in Florida has a couple of recent ones.

- Exit 53 for PJ Adams Pkwy is currently under Construction (Crestview)
- Exit 350 for SR-23 (Jacksonville)
- Exit 355 was moved from the RIRO to a new interchange with Hammond Blvd (Jacksonville)
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

Ted$8roadFan

Exit 10 on I-295 in Johnston, RI (to RI-5). This interchange was constructed as part of the new Citizens Bank campus in the area. 

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on February 18, 2024, 10:57:29 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2024, 09:18:47 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on February 10, 2024, 08:15:37 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2024, 05:38:34 PM
So basically just interchanges on existing freeways where there wasn't one previously?  I mean, that's not exactly super uncommon or really notable.

This. Calling them "infill" interchanges comes from rail transit terminology (an "infill" station is added to existing rail line) but with freeways it's very common.

I interpreted it to mean interchanges where the ramps are built up directly next to the freeway, essentially attached to the freeway with just a barrier wall separating mainline and ramps. That configuration may be somewhat common in urban areas, but it is extremely rare to nonexistent in rural areas.

Does everything mentioned so far fit this definition, or am I just misguided as to what infill means?

Where are you getting your definition from? I've never understood infill to mean anything beyond "added between two existing points of service" (like an interchange or, way more commonly, two railway stations). The design of the interchange, in this case, is separate from its standing as an "infill interchange".

Dough4872

On the Pennsylvania Turnpike, PA 29, Virginia Drive, and PA 132 were added as infill interchanges. On the Northeast Extension, PA 903 was added as an infill interchange. These interchanges were all E-ZPass only back when the turnpike accepted cash. But now with all-electronic tolling, toll by plate users may use them as well.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2024, 07:24:15 PM
So basically just interchanges on existing freeways where there wasn't one previously?  I mean, that's not exactly super uncommon or really notable.

This. Calling them "infill" interchanges comes from rail transit terminology (an "infill" station is added to existing rail line) but with freeways it's very common.

I interpreted it to mean interchanges where the ramps are built up directly next to the freeway, essentially attached to the freeway with just a barrier wall separating mainline and ramps. That configuration may be somewhat common in urban areas, but it is extremely rare to nonexistent in rural areas.

Does everything mentioned so far fit this definition, or am I just misguided as to what infill means?

Where are you getting your definition from? I've never understood infill to mean anything beyond "added between two existing points of service" (like an interchange or, way more commonly, two railway stations). The design of the interchange, in this case, is separate from its standing as an "infill interchange".

In construction terms, infill is material that fills a space or hole, so this type of interchange is what comes to mind. But apparently there is a second definition that I was not aware of until now, perhaps unsurprising since my knowledge of rail transit terminology is limited.

SilverMustang2011

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on February 18, 2024, 04:44:26 PM
I-10 in Florida has a couple of recent ones.

- Exit 53 for PJ Adams Pkwy is currently under Construction (Crestview)
- Exit 350 for SR-23 (Jacksonville)
- Exit 355 was moved from the RIRO to a new interchange with Hammond Blvd (Jacksonville)

I-75 in Florida recently opened Exit 282 for Overpass Rd (Pasco County North of Tampa). There are also plans for an exit between 354 and 358 in Ocala (For a Buc-ees and connection to a distribution center park).

I-4 is also adding a DDI at the Daryl Carter Parkway overpass between exits 68 and 71 as part of the next phase of I-4 Ultimate.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on February 19, 2024, 07:59:11 AM

In construction terms, infill is material that fills a space or hole, so this type of interchange is what comes to mind. But apparently there is a second definition that I was not aware of until now, perhaps unsurprising since my knowledge of rail transit terminology is limited.
I feel like I'm the only person who learned the word "infill" from a land-use planning context, as in infill development, where an area is densified by taking something like a parking lot, open space, or low-density development and replacing it was something denser, typically mixed-use apartments/commercial space.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on February 19, 2024, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 19, 2024, 07:59:11 AM

I feel like I'm the only person who learned the word "infill" from a land-use planning context, as in infill development, where an area is densified by taking something like a parking lot, open space, or low-density development and replacing it was something denser, typically mixed-use apartments/commercial space.

Interestingly enough, that's essentially what happened with the Inner Loop, where the construction definition of infill was also applicable (but notably not the definition being used in this thread - quite the opposite!)

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on February 19, 2024, 03:05:21 PM

This is the other definition I was familiar with, but did not feel the need to mention it previously as it seemed sufficiently different from the idea of the thread.

Nevertheless, the concept is quite similar: take an open space between two built things, and build something in that space.

Ted$8roadFan

Technically, the I-95/US-6/RI-10 mixmaster (Exit 37) in Downtown Providence is one, having been opened in advance of the Providence Place Mall.

CrystalWalrein

Exit 41 on the Atlantic City Expressway was opened in 2001, over 40 years after the Expressway opened.

Another exit 41 on the Garden State Parkway opened in 2015, replacing a service road that led through a service area. Exit 77 opened in 2002 (I think).

froggie

The latter.  Ran4sh is spot-on in his definition but I should point out that the term is also used in urban development circles ("infill development").

roadman65

Daryl Carter Parkway on I-4 in Orlando is one in the works.  It's part of development promotion in the never ending battle for the Sunshine State to have more people per square mile than other states.

A new shopping center was just built with land still available nearby for future homes and tourists facilities.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ET21

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 18, 2024, 11:57:38 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 11, 2024, 02:54:46 AM
Illinois Tollway-

I-88: Exit 109 (IL 47)- partial to full, Exit 121 (Eola Road)
I-90: Exit 8 (IL 173), Exit 20 (Irene Road), Exit 36 (IL 23), Exit 47 (IL 47)- partial to full, Exit 62 (Barrington Road)- partial to full, Exit 65 (Roselle Road)- partial to full, Exit 67 (Meacham Road), Exit 73 (Elmhurst Road), Exit 74 (I-490)
I-294: Exit 7 (I-57), Exit 8 (IL 83), Exit 20 (88th/Cork Avenue), County Line Road, I-490
88th/Cork Ave was an old Tri-State exit that was eliminated, and it is being/has been reinstalled with the Central Tri-State project

I'm sure I-39 exits on I-55, I-80, I-88, and US 20 were added when I-39 was constructed. Same with exits for I-355 on I-80, I-55, and I-88

Isn't Peace Rd serving DeKalb and Sycamore a "newer" exit on I-88? Want to say Orchard Rd serving Aurora and North Aurora was also a later addition for 88/E-W/Reagan Tollway

I would have to google the history but I think you are correct with Peace Rd. Annie Glidden was the original since it went directly through the center of NIU campus. Peace Rd was part of what is now known as the I-88 Logistics park. The last 10-15 years have seen a massive transformation around that interchange with multiple new warehouse constructions
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

coldshoulder

In Northeast Ohio, a recent one opened at OH-164 and I-680:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/txkefhMCp9oQVbCj7

And also in Ohio, all the various interchanges on the Ohio Turnpike that were added in the 1990's and early 2000's, supplementing the original 16 interchange "gates".

You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

jeffandnicole

This. Calling them "infill" interchanges comes from rail transit terminology (an "infill" station is added to existing rail line)...

Since you mentioned this...

The NJ Transit Hamilton Rail Station in Hamilton, NJ, off Exit 65B of I-295, is an infill transit station.  Opening in 1999, it quickly became a popular station due to its location off the highway and a parking garage was added in 2007 on a portion of the expansive parking lot.

boilerup25

Here's some I know of:

IN:
I-65 (Exit 131: CR 550 West)

NC:
I-485 (Exit 54: Weddington Road)

NJ:
Don't know if this one truly counts: I-295 NB to NJ 42 SB and vice versa

PA:
I-476 (Exit 87: PA 903)
PA 33 (Exit to Main Street / Tatamy Road)

Revive 755

For Illinois:

I-55

• I-255 (shared with I-70; 10)
  • I-155 (127)
  • I-39 (164)
  • I-355 (269)
I-57

• I-294
  • University Parkway (337)
  • Burbonnais Parkway (318)
  • Mattoon - Charleston Enterprise Parkway(192)
  • Veterans Memorial Drive (94; on the multiplex with I-64)
  • The Hill Avenue (54B)
I-64

• I-255 (7)
  • Green Mount Road (16, signed as O' Fallon/Shiloh)
  • Rieder Road (21)
I-72
  • MacArthur Boulevard (96)
I-80

• US 51/I-39 (79 A-B)
  • Brisbin Road (116)
  • I-355 (140)
I-255

• Mousette Lane (15)
I-290

• Biesterfield Road (4)
IL 255

• Gateway Commerce Center Drive (2)

Missouri
I-44

• MO 360 (69)
  • Route CC/Marshall Road (103)
  • Mraz Lane (eastbound exit/westbound entrance that could be argued to be part of the Bowles Avenue interchange, 274B

I-55

• Route HH (69)
  • East Main Street/La Salle Avenue (102)
  • Route E (111)
  • Route TT (165)
I-70

• Route MM (191)
  • David Hoekel Parkway (206)
  • Wentzville Parkway? (208)
  • Bryan Road (216)
  • T.R. Hughes Boulevard/Belleau Creek Road (219)
  • MO 370 (224)
  • Convention Center Boulevard (229A)
  • I-170 (238 B-C)
  • I-44/Tucker Boulevard/the interchange at the west end of the new river bridge
I-64

• Spirit of St. Louis Boulevard
  • Boones Crossing
MO 364

• Gutermuth Road (6)
MO 370

• St. Louis Mills Boulevard (11)

DTComposer

I could think of three in the San Jose area:

-On I-880 (née CA-17) in Milpitas, built in the early 1950s, the Great Mall Parkway/Tasman Drive interchange was added in the early 1990s
-On the section of US-101 south/east of downtown, converted to freeway in the 1960s, the Yerba Buena Road interchange was added in the 1990s
-On the section of US-101 between San Jose and Morgan Hill, built in 1984, the Bailey Road interchange was built in 2004.

J N Winkler

For Interstates, addition of a new service interchange after completion of the original freeway is considered a "break in access [control]" and FHWA requires a study to provide justification.  "Break in access" is therefore the terminology used in many states, including Kansas, for what the OP terms "infill."

For Wichita, it is fairly straightforward to provide a complete list of such interchanges for all freeways, not just the Interstates.  I-235 and K-96 were built essentially in one go on greenfield alignments, I-135 was built in phases on a new alignment, and Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400) was built in phases substantially on the existing alignment.  The breaks in access are as follows:

*  I-235/13th Street (restricted access--I-235 northbound to 13th Street westbound and 13th Street eastbound to I-235 southbound are the only movements provided) was added in 2015, well after original construction in 1961.

*  K-96/Greenwich Road was added between 2012 and 2015.  The Northeast Freeway segment of K-96 was built in the late 1980's/early 1990's (in essentially two sections, one by the city and the other by the county) and all other service interchanges are original.

*  K-96/Hoover Road (restricted access--half diamond with ramps just on the east side of Hoover) was added between 2015 and 2018.  The State Fair Freeway segment of K-96 was built in the late 1970's/early 1980's with all of the other interchanges that now exist.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Off the top of my head for Colorado:

I-25
North Gate Boulevard (156)
Crystal Valley Parkway (179) (Under construction)
RidgeGate Parkway (192)
C-470/E-470 (194)
Northwest Parkway/E-470 (228)

I-70
C-470 (260)
I-76 (269B)
Peña Boulevard (284)
Piccadilly Road (296) (Under construction)

I-76
E-470 (18)

I-225
17th Place (10B)

C-470
Lucent Boulevard (18)

Ted$8roadFan

IIRC, the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90) added a few interchanges in the 1990s before the conversion to mileage-based exits.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.