News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Non-freeway/tollway full-service rest areas

Started by index, March 09, 2024, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

There are a few in NC. The ones I know of off the top of my head are off US 158 in Currituck County, off US 64 near Plymouth, and off US 221 near Blowing Rock (not sure of the county off the top of my head because the line straddles the escarpment). The one off 221 in Marion serves a short freeway bypass but it's not really a freeway rest area in the usual sense, and it's kind of an odd spot for a rest area so I would count that for the purposes of this thread.

The Ellerbe rest area serves travelers on I-73/74 but it's pretty off the freeway so I'd also count that.

For the purposes of this thread, "full-service" means that it has restroom facilities. Visitor centers operated by the DOT as rest areas, just not in name, also count. Bonus points for two-lane roads.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

freebrickproductions

If I'm understanding the thread correctly, are we talking about rest areas like this one on US 231 in Dale County, AL (just south of Ozark)?

If so, I could've sworn there was a thread on this already...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

index

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 09, 2024, 02:23:20 PM
If I'm understanding the thread correctly, are we talking about rest areas like this one on US 231 in Dale County, AL (just south of Ozark)?

If so, I could've sworn there was a thread on this already...
Things like that.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Wondering if the increase in duplicate threads we're seeing recently is due to some weird incentives for attention.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

In Maryland, US 301 has one northbound coming off the Nice Bridge (there's also one on the Virginia side), and in the median in Queen Anne's County. On the lower Eastern Shore there is one northbound on US 13 entering from Virginia, and further west there is one on US 15 south just past the Pennsylvania line in Emmitsburg.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

wriddle082

Two more that I know of in NC, both on US 17.  One is a welcome center just south of the VA state line, and another one is south of Chocowinity.  Both are a single facility accessible from either direction.

Ohio used to have a lot of primitive rest areas along their two-lane roadways, but I do recall at least one that was upgraded to a small building with modern plumbing and a brochure rack complete with maps.  It was on OH 93 north of Ironton near the road leading to Lake Vesuvius.  I don't think it exists anymore.  ODOT closed most of their rest areas that aren't along four lane highways some years ago.

index

Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2024, 02:59:53 PM
Wondering if the increase in duplicate threads we're seeing recently is due to some weird incentives for attention.

Considering my post rate on here...I don't think that's the case. Snark like that definitely has some weird incentives behind it.

Counties traveled

fillup420

also in NC, I remember one on US 421 between Clinton and Wilmington. 421 is a two lane road at that point, so northbound travelers must make a left turn to access it. The facility was so small and cute, i hope its still there.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN has a lot of these. A select few:

US 2 - near East Grand Forks
US 10 - St. Cloud
US 10/169 - Ramsey
US 53 - Virginia
US 169 - south of Mille Lacs

TH 61 - Gooseberry Falls, Tettegouche, Grand Portage state parks (2-lane road)
TH 371 - just south of Brainerd
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 PM

US 10 - St. Cloud
US 10/169 - Ramsey
US 53 - Virginia

Counting state park facilities as full service rest areas?  Meh.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tdindy88

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2024, 07:29:47 AM

US 10 - St. Cloud
US 10/169 - Ramsey
US 53 - Virginia

I've been to a couple of those "rest areas" off of TH 61. Weird as their setting was, they were most certainly rest areas in every sense of the definition. It was actually kind of cool that they incorporated them into the state parks off that highway.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Rothman

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 10, 2024, 07:51:38 AM

US 10 - St. Cloud
US 10/169 - Ramsey
US 53 - Virginia

I've been to a couple of those "rest areas" off of TH 61. Weird as their setting was, they were most certainly rest areas in every sense of the definition. It was actually kind of cool that they incorporated them into the state parks off that highway.
Meh.  Then do we count Watkins Glen State Park in NY?  Phtbbt...

roadman65

Washington Route 401 has one along the Columbia River overlooking Astoria, Oregon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

US 10 - St. Cloud
US 10/169 - Ramsey
US 53 - Virginia

I was going by the fairly low bar in the OP. Also, these are specifically advertised as rest areas from the highway and remain open after the adjoining park facilities have closed.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GaryA

There's the Shandon rest area on CA 41/46.  I know there are others in CA (several on US 395).

bwana39

There is this one outside of Jacksonville on US-69   https://maps.app.goo.gl/HrB99my9Cro4BGK16 (this one is really neat. It is tended by a master gardener and has a long lookout over a lush valley.) While it is completely modern, it dates back into the 1950's.

This one on US-71 north of Texarkana https://www.arkansas.com/texarkana/attractions/red-river-welcome-center. Several of the non-freeway US Highways have them NEAR their entry into Arkansas.

There are several on US-287 and US-59 in Texas, but in those cases the roads may not be fully freeway, but they are 75 mph divided highways with minimal crossovers.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

RobbieL2415

I would guess that the early Wilbur Cross Highway from Hartford, CT to Sturbridge, MA, which had at-grade intersections until the early 60s, had rest areas.

thisdj78

Sarita Rest Area on US77 in South Texas, but will be a freeway/I-69 in the future:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/WbbqjavsgXE3Y8uC9?g_st=ic

ElishaGOtis

Alabama has quite a few.

Came across this one on US-431 just south of Eufaula, AL
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CHxCrnUct7MGM1527

Quote from: index on March 09, 2024, 02:12:38 PM
Bonus points for two-lane roads.

Here's one just north of Florala, AL on US-331. Looks like it's used for Hurricane Evacuation purposes.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fwV5zzKoJ4X8mALM8

This one is technically 3-lanes, but quite close. US-82 near Maplesville, AL
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SmKUoAD8U4bUXznM8
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

MikieTimT

Might have to do with the red banner at the top of each topic that hasn't had a post in 4 months:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Not exactly encouraging folks to keep everything in singular threads.

Rothman

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 13, 2024, 05:34:06 PM

Might have to do with the red banner at the top of each topic that hasn't had a post in 4 months:

4 months does seem like a short time to deem a topic expired, given how threads evolve here.

It's unfortunate.  Keeping information in one thread rather than regurgitating old discussions is just better organization.

fwydriver405

Quote from: index on March 09, 2024, 02:12:38 PM
Bonus points for two-lane roads.

The ones I know of in Maine that are not operated by the Maine Turnpike Authority are also called "State of Maine Visitor Info Centers" - all have have 24 hour restrooms. Most of these are on two lane roads, with the exception of the Kittery (see description below) and Hampden Centers. These are the ones I've been to, or passed by:

Kittery: This one is technically an I-95 / Maine Turnpike North center, but it's accessible from both directions of US 1. Getting to and leaving the rest area via US 1 can be confusing since you have to use a two exit roundabout before looping back to the welcome center.
Yarmouth: It's signed on I-295 as a rest area / tourist center, but you have to exit the freeway onto US 1 to get to the rest area / Maine Visitor Center.
Fryeburg: Pass by this one a few times on my trips between Fryeburg and Conway, NH (usually during the Fryeburg Fair).

Also, although this is mostly about non-freeway/tollway full service rest areas... I did want to toss the West Gardiner Service Plaza into this as well. It's a Maine Turnpike Authority operated plaza, but its location is fully accessible for drivers on ME Route 9 / 126 / Lewiston Rd. Food, fuel, restrooms, a "Center for Maine Craft" store and EV charging.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: bwana39 on March 11, 2024, 02:26:26 PM
There is this one outside of Jacksonville on US-69   https://maps.app.goo.gl/HrB99my9Cro4BGK16 (this one is really neat. It is tended by a master gardener and has a long lookout over a lush valley.) While it is completely modern, it dates back into the 1950's.

Love's Lookout has been a favorite of locals for many decades.  There was a "resort" across the historic US 69 road that had a dining area, pavilion with a dance floor, as well as a pool--the first in the county.  Until the 1970s, an amphitheater was located on the hillside.  It was quite popular for Easter sunrise services.  It eventually collapsed and was never rebuilt.  After a tornado that passed through the area in November 1987, there were plans to redevelop the park.  It now boasts a staffed visitor center, restrooms, vending machines, and a county sheriff's substation.  The best thing about Love's Lookout is the view.  On clear days you can see as much as 20-30 miles.  A state historical marker is also on the site, which tells a longer history of the spot and the family who gives Love's Lookout its name.  Well worth a stop.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on March 13, 2024, 07:22:32 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 13, 2024, 05:34:06 PM

4 months does seem like a short time to deem a topic expired, given how threads evolve here.

It's unfortunate.  Keeping information in one thread rather than regurgitating old discussions is just better organization.

If someone posts in an old thread, all too often someone else will jump in wondering why they posted in an old thread.

If someone creates a new thread, someone else will locate an old thread from 1947 and say we've already had a thread on this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.