News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

CNGL-Leudimin

The Eastern Pacific is now in overtime with tropical storm Xavier. They added the X, Y and Z names in 1985 to avoid using Greek letters (something that would eventually happen in the Atlantic 20 year latter).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Interstate 69 Fan

Well the 2018 East Pacific and Atlantic Hurricane seasons are over. Michael will probably get upgraded to Category 5 in post-analysis. The East Pacific had 3-4 Category 5's (if Hector gets upped) and 10 Category 4's!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Hurricane Rex

The SW Indian has a cat 2 and a cat 4 (equivalents 1 min wind speed) active right now. 1 os near Madagascar.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

And with the formation of Tropical Storm* Trevor near the Great Coral Barrier I've now seen tropical storms with the names of all three main characters of GTA V: Michael, Franklin and Trevor. Although the first one is going to be struck off the Atlantic list along with Florence this week.

* Calling this a "Tropical Storm" is technically incorrect since the Australian Bureau of Meteorology doesn't officially use that term. But I do for all tropical cyclones below hurricane strength, regardless of location.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CNGL-Leudimin

As expected, Florence and Michael have fallen off the Atlantic list and have been replaced with Francine and Milton. This means no original F names are left on the lists. There is exactly one original I name remaining: Isaac. No names have been retired in the Eastern Pacific East of 140°W.

Beltway

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 22, 2019, 09:36:51 AM
As expected, Florence and Michael have fallen off the Atlantic list and have been replaced with Francine and Milton. This means no original F names are left on the lists. There is exactly one original I name remaining: Isaac. No names have been retired in the Eastern Pacific East of 140°W.

Well, they got my middle name.  I don't think my first name has ever yet been on either of those lists.

They got up to "W" one year, and there was a major storm named Wilma, and at that time I had a coworker by that name.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

CNGL-Leudimin

It was 2005. They ran out of names, so they ended up naming storms after Greek letters instead. There were so many storms, the year actually ended before the last storm dissipated!

Interstate 69 Fan

Michael's TCR should be coming out anytime soon. I think it'll be upgraded to Category 5.

Interstate 69 Fan

After Cyclone Veronica explosively intensified, it appears western AU is under attack again. The GFS model wants not one, not two, but THREE systems to skirt the west coast, with the current one (Invest 97S) making landfall.

Hurricane Rex

Running till I die.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CNGL-Leudimin

And I thought it was impossible for the Atlantic to produce a Cat 5 for more than two years in a row. This has not happened before.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 19, 2019, 03:49:34 PM
And I thought it was impossible for the Atlantic to produce a Cat 5 for more than two years in a row. This has not happened before.

As if the current climate situation has any sort of precedent. :rolleyes:

Hurricane Rex

Both basins are in their respective active cycles though. And yes it has, 2003-2005 (Isabel, Ike, Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma).

I'm more surprised that it was the first time in a while if ever that the Atlantic and E/C Pacific have both had a CAT 5 in the same season.

SM-J737T

Running till I die.

US 89

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 23, 2019, 12:10:48 PM
Both basins are in their respective active cycles though. And yes it has, 2003-2005 (Isabel, Ivan, Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma).

FTFY.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 23, 2019, 12:10:48 PMBoth basins are in their respective active cycles though. And yes it has, 2003-2005 (Isabel, Ivan, Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma).

Forgot about that. Ike was in 2008, and wasn't a Category 5.
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 23, 2019, 12:10:48 PMI'm more surprised that it was the first time in a while if ever that the Atlantic and E/C Pacific have both had a CAT 5 in the same season.

I was more surprised when the JTWC demoted typhoon Noru from Category 5, thus making 2017 the first year in a long time the Western Pacific failed to produce a Cat 5.

US 89

And the Atlantic season gets an early start for the 5th year in a row, with the formation of Subtropical Storm Andrea.

CNGL-Leudimin

Again a subtropical storm? Why they name them, if they aren't tropical? And again Andrea, I don't recognize the 2007 iteration exactly because of that, instead considering that season started with Barry. At least last year I rescued Alberto as it was reanalysed to be a fully tropical storm.

Beltway

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 21, 2019, 03:58:50 AM
Again a subtropical storm? Why they name them, if they aren't tropical? And again Andrea, I don't recognize the 2007 iteration exactly because of that, instead considering that season started with Barry. At least last year I rescued Alberto as it was reanalysed to be a fully tropical storm.

Subtropical Cyclone:
A non-frontal low-pressure system that has characteristics of both tropical and extratropical cyclones.  Like tropical cyclones, they are non-frontal, synoptic-scale cyclones that originate over tropical or subtropical waters, and have a closed surface wind circulation about a well-defined center.  In addition, they have organized moderate to deep convection, but lack a central dense overcast.  Unlike tropical cyclones, subtropical cyclones derive a significant proportion of their energy from baroclinic sources, and are generally cold-core in the upper troposphere, often being associated with an upper-level low or trough.  In comparison to tropical cyclones, these systems generally have a radius of maximum winds occurring relatively far from the center (usually greater than 60 n mi), and generally have a less symmetric wind field and distribution of convection.

Tropical Cyclone:
A warm-core non-frontal synoptic-scale cyclone, originating over tropical or subtropical waters, with organized deep convection and a closed surface wind circulation about a well-defined center.  Once formed, a tropical cyclone is maintained by the extraction of heat energy from the ocean at high temperature and heat export at the low temperatures of the upper troposphere.  In this they differ from extratropical cyclones, which derive their energy from horizontal temperature contrasts in the atmosphere (baroclinic effects).

Extratropical Cyclone:
A cyclone of any intensity for which the primary energy source is baroclinic, that is, results from the temperature contrast between warm and cold air masses.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

CNGL-Leudimin

Tropical Storm Barry is the first Atlantic storm in my records this year. This only has happened once before, coincidentally also skipping Andrea and starting with Barry, in 2007. Out of three iterations of Andrea I only recognize one, in 2013. Barry could get to hurricane strength before making landfall in Louisiana.

US71

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 11, 2019, 05:00:37 PM
Tropical Storm Barry is the first Atlantic storm in my records this year. This only has happened once before, coincidentally also skipping Andrea and starting with Barry, in 2007. Out of three iterations of Andrea I only recognize one, in 2013. Barry could get to hurricane strength before making landfall in Louisiana.

Run, Barry, run!
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vdeane

Is there a reason Andrea was skipped?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2019, 08:46:18 PM
Is there a reason Andrea was skipped?

Subtropical Storm Andrea formed May 20, but fell apart on May 21.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: US71 on July 11, 2019, 06:41:31 PM

Run, Barry, run!

The state climatologist for Louisiana, and friend of mine, from my time at LSU, is named Barry.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.