New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Quote from: deanej on June 24, 2012, 01:40:58 PM
Plus it's in Region 1 and US 11 is in quirky Region 7 (also known as the only region that posts exit numbers on both a route's beginning and ending termini, though this won't be obvious until I-781 is completed).

I find it funny that you find Region 7 to be quirky because I've always found To Region 2 to be the To Quirky One of NYSDOT.

vdeane

It's certainly the quirkiest, though I'm rarely there, and the exit numbering for I-781 stood out to me... and NY 11B being north/south is a little strange... and they don't seem to do snow plow services, because every county line has a snow plow turnaround.

Not that any NYSDOT region is really normal, for that matter.  They all have some strange quirk.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 07, 2012, 02:18:42 PM
TOLLROADSblog: E-ZPass innovations drive transponder use over 80% at MTA Bridges & Tunnels, 87% at plaza to go AET[/url]

I've seen raw numbers elsewhere in the system. The market penetration (ha) rate was 76% to 79% depending on time of day and direction, obviously lower overnight when truck traffic rises and highest during commutes. 80% doesn't surprise me as a peak, but it does as an average. Then again, if it's Bayonne going AET, I could believe 87%, because there's no non-local traffic going that way.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on August 07, 2012, 07:16:44 PM
TOLLROADSnews: E-ZPass innovations drive transponder use over 80% at MTA Bridges & Tunnels, 87% at plaza to go AET[/url]

I've seen raw numbers elsewhere in the system. The market penetration (ha) rate was 76% to 79% depending on time of day and direction, obviously lower overnight when truck traffic rises and highest during commutes. 80% doesn't surprise me as a peak, but it does as an average. Then again, if it's Bayonne going AET, I could believe 87%, because there's no non-local traffic going that way.

Why would truck traffic result in a lower percentage of toll paid by electronic means?
(I am not questioning your observations, just curious.)

It seems to me that they have a better incentive in terms of money (as compared to four-wheeled vehicles) to pay electronically than by cash.

The E-ZPass discount at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge for a 5-axle combination is almost $23. At the N.Y. MTA B&T "major" crossings it's about half that, at $11.37.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 07, 2012, 10:15:46 PM
TOLLROADSnews: E-ZPass innovations drive transponder use over 80% at MTA Bridges & Tunnels, 87% at plaza to go AET[/url]

Why would truck traffic result in a lower percentage of toll paid by electronic means?

It seems to me that they have a better incentive in terms of money (as compared to four-wheeled vehicles) to pay electronically than by cash.

The E-ZPass discount at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge for a 5-axle combination is almost $23. At the N.Y. MTA B&T "major" crossings it's about half that, at $11.37.
They would have an incentive, but they would also have to have the tags. A lot of cross-country trucks won't have tags for every agency, or even any agency - remember that truckers typically pay out of pocket, so it's up to them to get tags. I also live in New Jersey where we have a fair number of trucks that can't get E-ZPass due to illegality of the company, truck, owner, etc....... But basically, I've seen the raw numbers, so whatever the explanation, I know the result.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on August 08, 2012, 08:30:53 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 07, 2012, 10:15:46 PM

They would have an incentive, but they would also have to have the tags. A lot of cross-country trucks won't have tags for every agency, or even any agency - remember that truckers typically pay out of pocket, so it's up to them to get tags. I also live in New Jersey where we have a fair number of trucks that can't get E-ZPass due to illegality of the company, truck, owner, etc....... But basically, I've seen the raw numbers, so whatever the explanation, I know the result.

The out-of-state truck and "illegal" truck explanations would presumably explain some of it (and again, I do not question your findings).

How aggressive are the various police agencies in North Jersey (NJSP) and New York City (NYPD) and the Port Authority's police when  it comes to commercial vehicle (including weight) enforcement?

elsmere241

My brother-in-law is a trucker, and he says he has one transponder for EZ-Pass and the weigh stations.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 09, 2012, 10:45:04 AM

How aggressive are the various police agencies in North Jersey (NJSP) and New York City (NYPD) and the Port Authority's police when  it comes to commercial vehicle (including weight) enforcement?

I see a lot of trucks pulled over at the GW Bridge. (Keep in mind the tunnels do not have large trucks going through.) There is enforcement at every tunnel entrance, so it would be difficult to sneak a commercial vehicle in there, but weight wouldn't likely be an issue. I don't know why they get pulled over at the GW, but they do, but it's only EB because of the toll plaza. There's no way to enforce WB.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on August 11, 2012, 12:34:53 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 09, 2012, 10:45:04 AM

I see a lot of trucks pulled over at the GW Bridge. (Keep in mind the tunnels do not have large trucks going through.) There is enforcement at every tunnel entrance, so it would be difficult to sneak a commercial vehicle in there, but weight wouldn't likely be an issue. I don't know why they get pulled over at the GW, but they do, but it's only EB because of the toll plaza. There's no way to enforce WB.

I don't cross the GW Bridge very often, but I have seen the Port Authority's police (I presume) inspecting trucks and checking logbooks there.  And you're correct - it is not really possible for them to do any checks on the westbound side. 

And good point about the dimensional restrictions at the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels.  Someone attending a TRB meeting some years ago told me that his company has special (smaller) semitrailers for delivering freight from a distribution center in North Jersey to places in Manhattan that are legal through the one of the tunnels.  Makes sense to me.

Roadgeek Adam

Updating the Staten Island Expressway construction:

New exit 15 eastbound, opened July 9, 2012.

Old exit 15 eastbound, now barely anything more than an overpass. All signage approaching the old 15 is gone in quite a hurry. Of course there is barely any signage for the new 15.

The Richmond north to SIE westbound that once flew over Exit 12 is gone, last time I posted photos, it was in the process of being demolished.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: Reckless Drivers Who Hit People Face Few Penalties in New York [City]

QuoteRoxana Sorina Buta, dark-eyed and lithe, hurried home from work as a waitress on May 24, scurrying through rain and 1:30 a.m. darkness toward the subway. She got to Broadway and stepped into the crosswalk when the light turned green.

QuoteAt the same time a New York City dump truck rumbled eastbound on 14th Street and turned south on Broadway. On the video taken in a Citibank on that corner, you can see the truck making a fast, seamless turn. If you look very closely, you will also see a shadow flicker in front of the truck's right headlight.

QuoteThat was Ms. Buta, and the truck hit her square.

QuoteMs. Buta, 21, an aspiring actress, the only child of immigrants from Romania, was no more.

M3019C LPS20

The remaining bridges that still stand on Staten Island are located on the other side of the island. Right at the end of Richmond Pkwy.

At one time, they led to nowhere. Although today two of them are now connected to a newly paved road that is located in the general area of where the former Brookfield landfill was.

vdeane

For some reason, NYSDOT has decided to lower the speed limit on I-81 north approaching the Thousand Islands Bridge.  It's now 40 for a whole mile before the toll booths instead of 55 (which is was and still is southbound).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flyer78

I noticed the 55 MPH zone starts earlier when approaching Syracuse, as well. Actually, I think they moved it back to where the original zone started, after the upgrade to 65 in the 90s.

Have also noticed new signage in Region 3, specifically new Truck Inspection signs, and new Left exit panels for the 481 diverge.

vdeane

So where are those now?  Last I checked, the northbound 55 started north of I-481 (before the next exit), and the southbound 55 ended just south of I-481.

Flyer78

Southbound, unchanged; at the merge of I-481 into I-81.

Northbound, it is now posted 55 before the I-481 split. If memory serves correctly, this was the original location of the change, which was pushed past I-481, perhaps when 65 was permitted on I-481 (as well as NY-695, and NY-5 bypass in Camillus, etc.) This is also where a new reference segment begins on the Reference Marker system.

Other boundaries did not seem to change (through Binghamton, or around local roads in Syracuse).

vdeane

It does make more sense to have the speed limit for both directions to be the same.  Never understood why they're different.  Personally, I'd have it 65 until just north of I-481 so traffic going to/from I-481 doesn't have to slow down, but I don't think NYSDOT is allowed to post 65 within city limits.  You also see that in Binghamton with protracted 55 zones that don't make particular sense.

Flyer78

I thought the "within city limits" restriction was removed, but could be mistaken there... The differences in where zones start/end is odd, but made sense (65 past the split onto a road that is 65, for example).

An odd case of this, on I-81 in PA, 65 is posted northbound after joining from the Turnpike/US 6 interchange, but southbound you are "55 for the next 34 miles" about 2 miles before the exit... Of course, it is not an direct connection, but still...

froggie

Quotebut southbound you are "55 for the next 34 miles" about 2 miles before the exit... Of course, it is not an direct connection, but still...

You're also on a notable downhill grade going southbound on that stretch...

machias

Quote from: Flyer78 on April 03, 2013, 06:56:41 PM

Northbound, it is now posted 55 before the I-481 split. If memory serves correctly, this was the original location of the change, which was pushed past I-481, perhaps when 65 was permitted on I-481 (as well as NY-695, and NY-5 bypass in Camillus, etc.) This is also where a new reference segment begins on the Reference Marker system.

Other boundaries did not seem to change (through Binghamton, or around local roads in Syracuse).

At least there's 65 MPH stretches leading to Syracuse. For the life of me I can't figure out why NY 5S and NY 12 going into Utica aren't 65 MPH until the city limit. The only possible reason is for revenue generation purposes. The only 65 MPH stretch of highway in R2 is NY Route 49. The freeway portions of 5S and 12 are engineered to be more 65-friendly than NY Route 49 is .

vdeane

Quote from: Flyer78 on April 04, 2013, 02:49:51 PM
I thought the "within city limits" restriction was removed, but could be mistaken there... The differences in where zones start/end is odd, but made sense (65 past the split onto a road that is 65, for example).
Well, there are a few stretches of 65 in cities, but it's not the norm... mainly, stuff like I-86 skirting through Corning.  I-81's 55 zones in Binghamton follow the city line despite the first exit being a couple of miles down the road.

Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 04, 2013, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: Flyer78 on April 03, 2013, 06:56:41 PM

At least there's 65 MPH stretches leading to Syracuse. For the life of me I can't figure out why NY 5S and NY 12 going into Utica aren't 65 MPH until the city limit. The only possible reason is for revenue generation purposes. The only 65 MPH stretch of highway in R2 is NY Route 49. The freeway portions of 5S and 12 are engineered to be more 65-friendly than NY Route 49 is .
Or NY 8... I'm not entirely convinced region 2 knows what freeways are.  I think NY 49 only has it because it's future I-790.

Another protracted rural 55 is NY 17 between Hale Eddy and Roscoe.  It slows down for the at-grade intersections in Hale Eddy... and just keeps going and going, for no apparent reason.  Maybe Delaware County needs the ticket revenue.  The road is built to the same standards as the 65 zone to the east, and the exits are further apart.

cpzilliacus

Transportation Nation: Feds Set Uniform Standards For Sandy Rebuilding

QuoteBuild higher. That's what the federal government is saying to the owners of structures badly damaged by Sandy. Northeast flood zones now have tougher re-building requirements that apply across the board: to houses, businesses and government infrastructure.

QuoteHousing Secretary Shaun Donovan and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood stood in front of an Amtrak electrical station in a New Jersey swamp to make their point: any structure more than half destroyed by Sandy that is being rebuilt with federal funds, must be lifted higher than before. The new standards require a building owner to consult an updated FEMA flood map, find the new recommended height for his structure and then lift it a foot above that.

QuoteLaHood explained why: "So that people don't have to go through the same heartache and headache and backache that it's taken to rebuild."

QuoteLaHood says the Amtrak electrical plant, which was knocked out by Sandy, will be lifted several feet at a cost of $25 million. A statement from the Hurricane Sandy Rebuilding Task Force has details on the new standards:

Flyer78

Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2013, 11:44:05 AM
I-81's 55 zones in Binghamton follow the city line despite the first exit being a couple of miles down the road.

The 55 Zone was moved northward as well when the zones were extended; it was originally before the NY-17/FI-86 split northbound. However, these boundaries have not changed, save for temporary construction projects, etc.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on April 04, 2013, 04:49:48 PM
Quotebut southbound you are "55 for the next 34 miles" about 2 miles before the exit... Of course, it is not an direct connection, but still...

You're also on a notable downhill grade going southbound on that stretch...

And, finally, heading southbound you have this major exit coming up with traffic (especially trucks) starting to shift into the right lane to get to I-476 or the left lane to avoid all that right lane traffic. No such issue northbound.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.