News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

In NYC, there is the Kew Gardens untanglement project, Goethals replacement which will add a lane and the Kosusco Bridge expansion/replacement, which will help congestion and add capacity.  Any other big scale road projects coming down the pike in NYC?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: doofy103 on February 17, 2015, 07:43:00 PM
In NYC, there is the Kew Gardens untanglement project, Goethals replacement which will add a lane and the Kosusco Bridge expansion/replacement, which will help congestion and add capacity.  Any other big scale road projects coming down the pike in NYC?
Verrazano Bridge redecking, removal of median barrier and addition of reversible lane on the Upper Level, and construction of a Bus/HOV ramp on the east side

Mergingtraffic

What is it about NY that they can't make good looking interstate shields?!
I've seen many on all interstates where the numbers are too low, too big, a large space in between them etc etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.537221,-73.781158,3a,75y,267.96h,84.81t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s90SXtjMQMpcA6TrDcaH2kg!2e0
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: doofy103 on February 24, 2015, 07:57:40 PM
What is it about NY that they can't make good looking interstate shields?!
I've seen many on all interstates where the numbers are too low, too big, a large space in between them etc etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.537221,-73.781158,3a,75y,267.96h,84.81t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s90SXtjMQMpcA6TrDcaH2kg!2e0

Most are fine, even in the same region
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Sam

I see those same issues on state shields, too. Also there are 4 or 5 different state shield shape variations of there. Height vs. width, depth of curve, border width, etc.

machias

Quote from: Sam on February 25, 2015, 07:23:00 PM
I see those same issues on state shields, too. Also there are 4 or 5 different state shield shape variations of there. Height vs. width, depth of curve, border width, etc.

NYSDOT has tried to reel the varying state route marker designs since they adopted the 2009 MUTCD. While there used to be a wild assortment of shapes and sizes, there's probably less than a half-dozen variations now on new installs. Plus, the marker used on guide signs more closely resembles the standalone markers, complete with series D numerals (instead of series F).

vdeane

I wish they'd keep the series D 3di shield numerals.  IMO they look better than series C.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Sam

www.aaroads.com/shields/thumbs.php?state=NY Too lazy to document it myself.

28 and 17 show the most variation, 7 shows the most contrast (Don't count the cutouts, obviously.)

cl94

Quote from: Sam on February 26, 2015, 11:56:30 AM
www.aaroads.com/shields/thumbs.php?state=NY Too lazy to document it myself.

28 and 17 show the most variation, 7 shows the most contrast (Don't count the cutouts, obviously.)

Part of 17's and 28's variation is that they pass through many regions and have signs dating back 50 years. Both pass through 4 NYSDOT regions (only NY 5, US 9, US 20, and NY 22 have more and the variation is as great on them). NY 17 in particular was built in many sections, with each contractor putting up their own style of shield.

The differences have been disappearing in recent years as NYSDOT has actually decided to standardize the shield.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

WKTV: Arterial construction (Utica) right on schedule. Working at a breakneck speed crews are plugging away on a complete reconstruction of Utica's arterial system.

If anyone has pictures, do share!!! I can't go down there.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 25, 2015, 06:13:16 PM
WKTV: Arterial construction (Utica) right on schedule. Working at a breakneck speed crews are plugging away on a complete reconstruction of Utica's arterial system.

I'll try to grab a GoPro video of the area this week.  I must admit that I like the way they're handling traffic and I'm surprised at how quickly they're coming along. The only disappointing aspect of this project to me is that when it's done there will still be two traffic lights on the Arterial, which are suppose to be addressed in the next phase, which has absolutely no funding or timeline at the moment. Other than that, I think this will be a great boost to the area.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 25, 2015, 08:32:43 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on March 25, 2015, 06:13:16 PM

I'll try to grab a GoPro video of the area this week.  I must admit that I like the way they're handling traffic and I'm surprised at how quickly they're coming along. The only disappointing aspect of this project to me is that when it's done there will still be two traffic lights on the Arterial, which are suppose to be addressed in the next phase, which has absolutely no funding or timeline at the moment. Other than that, I think this will be a great boost to the area.

Great!

In a dramatic makeover, the Peace Bridge will be redecked, adding a fourth traffic lane as vehicles approach the Canadian inspection plaza and a revamped sidewalk/bike path that includes an overlook at the international line where the U.S. and Canada meet over the Niagara River.

The first phase of the $80 million project will begin this year and be stretched over the next few years to limit impacts on traffic flows between Buffalo and Fort Erie. The work is part of an ongoing $167 million capital improvement plan that the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority has undertaken in recent years.

http://m.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2015/03/27/80m-peace-bridge-work-to-feature-new-deck-added.html

Peace Bridge to be re decked with half of a fourth-lane to be added. Pretty pointless IMo without constructing a twin. It's polishing a turd.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

Alps

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 27, 2015, 05:27:41 PM
In a dramatic makeover, the Peace Bridge will be redecked, adding a fourth traffic lane as vehicles approach the Canadian inspection plaza and a revamped sidewalk/bike path that includes an overlook at the international line where the U.S. and Canada meet over the Niagara River.

The first phase of the $80 million project will begin this year and be stretched over the next few years to limit impacts on traffic flows between Buffalo and Fort Erie. The work is part of an ongoing $167 million capital improvement plan that the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority has undertaken in recent years.

http://m.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2015/03/27/80m-peace-bridge-work-to-feature-new-deck-added.html

Peace Bridge to be re decked with half of a fourth-lane to be added. Pretty pointless IMo without constructing a twin. It's polishing a turd.
What are you twinning here? Peace Bridge isn't the constraint, Customs is.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on March 27, 2015, 05:42:17 PM

From talking with the Peace Bridge Authority's engineering firm, I agree. The plan is to eventually twin it, but that's 15-20 years out. Right now it's building queuing capacity for the American side because of how hard local residents are pushing back. They just finished widening the American approach until just before the through truss span to accommodate trucks queuing (pretty amazing, considering that they were only putting girders up when I was on the site 6 months ago). By widening the Canadian approach, they can make it 2 lanes into the US at all times to prevent traffic from backing up into Fort Erie.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: Dougtone on February 17, 2015, 06:21:48 PM
Northway Exit 4 construction is happening starting February 23. Well, the overpasses are being replaced this year at least, probably because it's time to replace them anyway.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2015/02/17/construction-to-start-on-northway-exit-4-bridges.html
I believe the overpasses are original from 1962 and are they narrow.

cl94

Quote from: xcellntbuy on March 27, 2015, 07:50:23 PM
Northway Exit 4 construction is happening starting February 23. Well, the overpasses are being replaced this year at least, probably because it's time to replace them anyway.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2015/02/17/construction-to-start-on-northway-exit-4-bridges.html

They are. They're one of only 4 sets south of Exit 17 that are original (including the Twin Bridges and NY 146, which I think are). As with every other replacement project south of Saratoga, they're building in capacity for 8 lanes if they every decide to widen. I don't know about NY 146, but I know the bridge over NY 29 is likely on the list because it only has a 14 foot actual clearance (if not also in bad shape).

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on March 27, 2015, 07:48:13 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 27, 2015, 05:42:17 PM

From talking with the Peace Bridge Authority's engineering firm, I agree. The plan is to eventually twin it, but that's 15-20 years out. Right now it's building queuing capacity for the American side because of how hard local residents are pushing back. They just finished widening the American approach until just before the through truss span to accommodate trucks queuing (pretty amazing, considering that they were only putting girders up when I was on the site 6 months ago). By widening the Canadian approach, they can make it 2 lanes into the US at all times to prevent traffic from backing up into Fort Erie.

Yeah, they really pushed back against the truck plaza because of exhaust fumes I believe. But these intermittent improvements would really help for Bills and to a lesser extent Sabres games.

P.S. I just now realized that Alps is the Alps from Alpsroads. Funny, because I learned about your photo galleries quite a while before I learned about this site! It's like the Wikipedia of highways.

P.P.S. By any chance, does anyone know who Roadwaywiz is?

xcellntbuy

Quote from: cl94 on March 27, 2015, 07:57:42 PM

They are. They're one of only 4 sets south of Exit 17 that are original (including the Twin Bridges and NY 146, which I think are). As with every other replacement project south of Saratoga, they're building in capacity for 8 lanes if they every decide to widen. I don't know about NY 146, but I know the bridge over NY 29 is likely on the list because it only has a 14 foot actual clearance (if not also in bad shape).
I thought so.  If I remember correctly, the concrete pillars are also the round type, which I do not think are placed any longer.  These were also placed in the days when the concrete was painted white.

cl94

Quote from: xcellntbuy on March 27, 2015, 08:48:27 PM
Quote from: cl94 on March 27, 2015, 07:57:42 PM

I thought so.  If I remember correctly, the concrete pillars are also the round type, which I do not think are placed any longer.  These were also placed in the days when the concrete was painted white.

They didn't stop placing the round pillars until 15 or so years ago, so that really says nothing. The bridge at Exit 19 has them and that was built in the late 90s.

xcellntbuy

Oh, OK.  You learn something new every day!

Alex

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 27, 2015, 08:13:25 PM

Roadwaywiz is Dan Murphy.

He has a facebook page for his road videos as well: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roadwaywiz/257582354410961?fref=ts

vdeane

He's also active in the Facebook groups.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J Route Z

Quote from: Alex on March 28, 2015, 09:35:11 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on March 27, 2015, 08:13:25 PM

Roadwaywiz is Dan Murphy.

He has a facebook page for his road videos as well: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roadwaywiz/257582354410961?fref=ts

He has the best videos up and down the east coast. He is venturing into Florida pretty soon, going down I-95.

Buffaboy

Heard somewhere that a study will be conducted in the near future to determine if a beltway will be needed to serve the developing suburbs around Buffalo. The study was triggered due to the fact that Erie County's population is on the rise...

So... if this were to happen, it wouldn't be the "Mile Strip Expressway" from the '70s. They'd have to start it in a more undeveloped, southernly point and continue around the county. It would have to pass through Elma and straddle the Lancaster border. Then you talk about how many lanes will it have? 8? 10 including an HOV/ 4 express lanes? Maybe 12?

I'm sure it wouldn't go past the 90 going north for now, OR they would start in the north towns and connect to the 90.

Either way this project and study is long overdue and I can't wait till funding for the EFIS is earmarked into the budget!!!

cl94

Hold it with the foaming. Way too early for that and, if anything ever gets built, a southern bypass that serves the dual purpose of rerouting through traffic and getting trucks off of US 20 is more likely. There also isn't an available number unless they renumber I-690.

At this point, anything to the south would have to begin west of Hamburg and run in the remaining undeveloped, relatively flat area between there and Pembroke. Might be too far east for most people. A northern bypass could use the LaSalle Expressway,  but it'd have to stay in Niagara County until around NY 78 to avoid Amherst and Clarence and not merge into I-90 until near Pembroke. Again, it might be too far out to do anything and you'd be committing everyone to one river crossing that has no expansion plans.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.