News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Quote from: emory on December 18, 2017, 07:01:39 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on December 15, 2017, 09:49:05 PM
US 17 being re-routed in Zolfo Springs:
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4925995,-81.7959003,1606m/data=!3m1!1e3

I wonder what happens to the old route. US 17 Business/SR 35, just SR 35, or relinquishment to the city.

The old alignment will more than likely be turned over to local control and will not be numbered. By the way, drove through here the weekend after Thanksgiving and noticed that this new alignment is being done in concrete, not asphalt. The new alignment should also truncate SR 66 by one block.

roadman65

US 17 was already turned into one way pairs in both Arcadia and I believe Wakula where they added another alignment on one side and made the original one way.

Lake Alfred and even Homerville, GA did that to eliminate taking property away. 

I am surprised they did not do that here either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

Quote from: roadman65 on December 21, 2017, 06:19:12 PM
US 17 was already turned into one way pairs in both Arcadia and I believe Wakula where they added another alignment on one side and made the original one way.

Lake Alfred and even Homerville, GA did that to eliminate taking property away. 

I am surprised they did not do that here either.

If they transfer the old alignment to the city, this will actually be the fourth instance of a newly erected bypass route gapping State Road 35. They did this already in Bartow, Lakeland and Dade City.

roadman65

In Bartow, SR 60 when it was signed Business, I believe it was on the books as SR 60 proper.  The mainline Bypass (the only alignment now) was written as SR 60A.  So if they did not amend it the road will be gapped.

On another note, I-4 at Exit 75 now is opened a new EB alignment eliminating the left hand side exit going that way.  So no more left exits at Kirkman Road.  Only the WB OBT ramp is still on the left as even South Street (both off and on) have been closed for a long time now, so Exit 80 is the last until its new ramps and freeway alignments are completed.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

http://www.cflroads.com/project/418403-3/SR_600_US_17_92_FROM_PLEASANT_HILL_RD_TO_PORTAGE_ST
http://www.aroundosceola.com/john-young-parkway-widening-projected-to-finish-late-may-2018/

Months behind schedule John Young Parkway will be completed in the Spring of 2018 with its widening from Portage Street to US 192.  This is only the beginning though.

Finally improvements are coming to Kissimmee along US 17 & 92.  The intersection with Pleasant Hill Road that has been a traffic nightmare for motorists due to sprawl in Osceola County is getting some relief with parts of US 17 & 92 being widened from 4 to 6 lanes as well as a partial flyover at Pleasant Hill allowing SB US 17 & WB US 92 traffic to free flow over the intersection to SB Pleasant Hill Road.

Hopefully this will make travel there a bit easier.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

It wasn't that long ago that Orange Blossom Trail was 2 lanes.

roadman65

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 02, 2018, 01:38:42 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Orange Blossom Trail was 2 lanes.
Per direction.   It was four from Kissimmee all the way to Lake County.  Unless you mean the orphaned part in Osceola through Campbell City.  Yes that was two lanes and widened to just beyond where the imaginary line for Campbell City is I believe in the late 90's or even earlier.  It had an old style bridge over Shingle Creek and it narrowed down to two lanes after the CSX overpass. 

Of course most of that was called Bermuda Avenue as the JYP name came after Orange County connected their segment to Osceola's.  The name was made changed by both Kissimmee and Osceola County to keep continuity in names rather than it be JYP in Orange and Bermuda in Osceola.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Google maps has SR AIA marked along the Overseas Highway in Marathon.
https://www.google.com/maps/@24.7092426,-81.1026458,16z

emory

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 12, 2018, 02:44:34 PM
Google maps has SR AIA marked along the Overseas Highway in Marathon.
https://www.google.com/maps/@24.7092426,-81.1026458,16z

Yeah it'll do that sometimes. SR A1A is definitely not part of US 1 on the Overseas Highway.

Brian556

Short ONE WAY pair being undone in Oviedo (I've known this was going to be done for a while):
https://www.facebook.com/MyFDOTCFL/photos/a.423891554419803.1073741828.386196811522611/1083941015081517/?type=3&theater

US 27 Construction N of CR 474 to Lake Louisa (This section had been in poor condition by Florida standards) The temporary configuration is better than what you see in Texas, they just need to learn how to remove the one way signs at T Junctions when theres two way traffic:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4042261,-81.698085,3a,17.7y,346.26h,87.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smPqiXKi84mvUgorlCZXykg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4227095,-81.7081953,3a,75y,189.63h,79.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so6dylAM8bqt4CENwa2CZ2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

roadman65

One lane each way?  This usually a PennDOT thing.

I take this is the last rural stretch between US 192 and SR 50.  Sucks as how a rural four lane highway at 65 mph could become a suburban arterial just overnight.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

That whole area between US 192 and SR 50 needs more frontage roads, and possibly even some interchanges. You always have to slam on the brakes every time somebody in front of you tries to go into a shopping center or cluster development or church perched on top of some damn hill.

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on January 15, 2018, 02:49:25 PM
One lane each way?  This usually a PennDOT thing.

I take this is the last rural stretch between US 192 and SR 50.  Sucks as how a rural four lane highway at 65 mph could become a suburban arterial just overnight.
I was talking about that with my parents  last night. We stayed at a hotel at i4 and us 27 when we went to Disney one year... It was around Easter and I remember the smell of orange blossoms, oranges groves as far as you could see... Now it's housing, Walmart and Publix every where

It was almost interstate traffic flow

Z981

emory

Palm Beach County is requesting FDOT take over maintenance of the under construction SR 7 north of Okeechobee Blvd/SR 704 to its proposed terminus at Northlake Blvd/CR 809A.

In exchange, they're requesting FDOT relinquish the entirety of SR 850 on Northlake Blvd, as well as the portion of Powerline Road/SR 845 from the Hillsboro Canal at the county line to Glades Road/SR 808.

http://www.pbcgov.com/pubInf/Agenda/20171219/3C2.pdf

D-Dey65

Quote from: jwolfer on January 16, 2018, 04:56:09 AM
I was talking about that with my parents  last night. We stayed at a hotel at i4 and us 27 when we went to Disney one year... It was around Easter and I remember the smell of orange blossoms, oranges groves as far as you could see... Now it's housing, Walmart and Publix every where
Yes, the loss of a lot of orange groves is quite disturbing, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't even like oranges that much. I'll bet the housing developments behind Walt Disney World were once loaded with them.

Avalanchez71

They were loaded with them.  That area was rural around Disney not so long ago.

jwolfer

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 17, 2018, 12:42:25 PM
Yes, the loss of a lot of orange groves is quite disturbing, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't even like oranges that much. I'll bet the housing developments behind Walt Disney World were once loaded with them.
Some of the loss of citrus is because of disease too.. I can't recall the name .. they even made homeowners cut down citrus trees to stop the speed of the disease

Z981

DeaconG

Quote from: jwolfer on January 17, 2018, 03:44:28 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 17, 2018, 12:42:25 PM
Some of the loss of citrus is because of disease too.. I can't recall the name .. they even made homeowners cut down citrus trees to stop the speed of the disease

Z981

Canker.

The majority of the remaining groves on the Space Coast are on KSC property (leaseback property), with some groves on Merritt Island.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 17, 2018, 01:11:11 PM
They were loaded with them.  That area was rural around Disney not so long ago.
I have an aunt and uncle who live in one of them now. They often watch the fireworks show from their lanai when they don't go there themselves.

Avalanchez71

Well at least US 441 south of Saint Cloud is still rural.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 18, 2018, 02:06:49 PM

At this rate, it probably won't be for much longer.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

formulanone

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 18, 2018, 03:10:31 PM

There's not much reason to live down there. There's nothing yet in Holopaw, and even less south of that. About a decade ago, there was some crazy proposal to develop something like 20 square miles of farmland near Yeehaw Junction, famous for being absolutely nothing near nobody nor near anything (even the US Census Bureau messed up the headcount in 2000). But of course, it fell though with all the parties suing each other.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: formulanone on January 18, 2018, 03:25:00 PM

There's not much reason to live down there. There's nothing yet in Holopaw, and even less south of that. About a decade ago, there was some crazy proposal to develop something like 20 square miles of farmland near Yeehaw Junction, famous for being absolutely nothing near nobody nor near anything (even the US Census Bureau messed up the headcount in 2000). But of course, it fell though with all the parties suing each other.
Really they were going to develop Yeehaw Junction.  That is crazy.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: formulanone on January 18, 2018, 03:25:00 PM

Wow, I can't believe there were plans to do that in the Yeehaw Junction area. But yeah, I guess there's not much reason to live in the rural land directly south/southeast of St. Cloud. I think I was just expecting Orlando sprawl to just keep going on and on in growth, spreading out, despite that, due to the current rate. It's definitely interesting to see rural land rapidly develop into suburban land, and it can happen pretty fast.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

formulanone

I think it was to be called Destiny, Florida. And it was to be approximately 60 square miles. I guess Ave Maria was able to spring forth from nothing but Domino's Pizza money, so anything's possible. With Destin becoming a growing area, maybe another name is in order.

Meanwhile, who would have thought a ginormous, middle-of-nowhere land proposal in Florida could go pear-shaped? :popcorn:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.