News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Discontinued traffic signal models

Started by traffic light guy, November 09, 2017, 06:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

In PA, for some odd reason, they love installing signals years after the model ends production. For example, Philly has a few older Crouse-Hinds Type M installs, they're all mast-arm installs. The signals themselves were made in the 60s, the mast-arms didn't go up until 1975. Same thing with eagle flatbacks, there are some flatbacks that were installed as late as 1976, although the model discontinued in 1973. By 1976 the Durasig model was already common in other states. PA didn't start installing them until, i'd say 1977.

M3019C LPS20

Sometimes, traffic signal equipment can be considered as new old stock (or simply NOS) if never used previously in service and is  discontinued from a manufacturer. New York City, as an example, made that a practice in the late-1960s and early-1970s when it came to the installation of pedestrian signals at newly-constructed signalized intersections. By that time, incandescent units were the norm, but, every now and then, the contractors would throw in several neon units as well that dated back to the 1950s decade.

It is also fairly common to some extent for municipalities to recycle previously used traffic signal equipment.

index

I believe 3M discontinued its wonderful M-131 in 2007. There are still plenty out there, though, slowly being replaced by McCain's inferior PV signals.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: index on November 27, 2017, 10:06:21 AM
I believe 3M discontinued its wonderful M-131 in 2007. There are still plenty out there, though, slowly being replaced by McCain's inferior PV signals.

*ShitCain.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

traffic light guy

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on November 27, 2017, 05:57:36 PM
Quote from: index on November 27, 2017, 10:06:21 AM

*ShitCain.

Couldn't agree more, I'm also not a big fan of McCains. I remember having a huge hissy fit when my favorite set of Crouse-Hinds art decos got replaced by a set of McCains. (They were in chester PA)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2018, 02:19:36 AM
What makes McCains so bad?
They're pretty plain looking and tend to be used by municipalities to replace older set-ups (mostly because they're one of the cheaper brands), and their Aluminum signals are known for having the paint chip off of them pretty bad (especially the older ones).

I personally don't mind them and their poly signals are actually some of the strongest ones on the market currently.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2018, 02:31:51 AM
What does a McCain look like?
Somewhat generic looking, but not too bad, IMO:
McCain Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
McCain Beacons by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
McCain Traffic Light by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Midwest Signal Co. (whom McCain bought-out in the 80s and started producing their signals under the McCain name), Singer, and modern Econolite signals all use the same general body shape as McCain signals, only with slight variations. McCain has also changed the logo, size of the logo, and placement of the logo on their signals over the years.

McCain Programmable Visibility Signals (McCain PV Signals) look like a 3M signal, except they have a different look to the very back of the signal and use round lenses and visors as these parts are re-used McCain parts (the backs use 8 inch McCain housings while the doors and visors are standard 12 inch McCain doors and visors, which is why the lenses on these are round rather than square):
McCain PV signals by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
McCain PV Signal by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
McCain PV Signals by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 21, 2018, 02:55:44 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2018, 02:31:51 AM
What does a McCain look like?
Somewhat generic looking, but not too bad, IMO:
McCain Beacons by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
McCain Traffic Light by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Midwest Signal Co. (whom McCain bought-out in the 80s and started producing their signals under the McCain name), Singer, and modern Econolite signals all use the same general body shape as McCain signals, only with slight variations. McCain has also changed the logo, size of the logo, and placement of the logo on their signals over the years.

McCain Programmable Visibility Signals (McCain PV Signals) look like a 3M signal, except they have a different look to the very back of the signal and use round lenses and visors as these parts are re-used McCain parts (the backs use 8 inch McCain housings while the doors and visors are standard 12 inch McCain doors and visors, which is why the lenses on these are round rather than square):
McCain PV Signal by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I like McCain PV signals, but normal McCains are generic. Plus, your area doesn't abuse them

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.