News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

Quote from: US71 on May 16, 2014, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 15, 2014, 11:12:15 PM

Quote from: US71 on May 15, 2014, 10:58:14 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 15, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
I've counted 10 north of west fork

Mountainburg: 6
Chester: 4
New Hope Rd: 3+

Got to find my notes for the others ;)

Lots between 49 and XNA

iPhone

You think we should start a list? ;)

(Nah, Bugo would kill us)

ACTUALLY - if everyone will sit tight, we'll let you know when the sign crew thinks it's done. Then we'll start the AARoads Scavenger Hunt to locate the rest.

Should be fun!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on May 16, 2014, 10:25:53 AM

ACTUALLY - if everyone will sit tight, we'll let you know when the sign crew thinks it's done. Then we'll start the AARoads Scavenger Hunt to locate the rest.

Should be fun!

My error. I thought they had already finished. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: AHTD on May 16, 2014, 10:25:53 AM
Quote from: US71 on May 16, 2014, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 15, 2014, 11:12:15 PM

Quote from: US71 on May 15, 2014, 10:58:14 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 15, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
I've counted 10 north of west fork

Mountainburg: 6
Chester: 4
New Hope Rd: 3+

Got to find my notes for the others ;)

Lots between 49 and XNA

iPhone

You think we should start a list? ;)

(Nah, Bugo would kill us)

Should be fun!

Does the winner get a 540 sign?

iPhone

agentsteel53

winner gets to request '57 spec shields for I-49, as are used for the other two-digit routes in Arkansas (up 'til recently, anyway).
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bjrush

Just came up to NWA from Star City. The mileage signs that used to have I-540 shields have all been changed (westbound, anyway)
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on May 16, 2014, 07:27:59 PM
Just came up to NWA from Star City. The mileage signs that used to have I-540 shields have all been changed (westbound, anyway)

I was wondering about those ;)

US71

Quote from: robbones on May 15, 2014, 06:25:15 PM
AHTD,

There are a few through trucks must take 540 that need to be updated. I'm looking at the one at the south side of 40 and 71 in Alma. If i knew how to post pics on here I would show it.

Thanks for the tip robbones. I snagged a photo today

Looks like all the overheads have been changed out now, except along 540 at Van Buren. Oh, and this one:

But if you add a TO above South 540, you wouldn't have to replace this sign ;)

Scott5114

Alternately the whole South I-540 block could be greened out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

robbones

Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2014, 04:43:38 PM
AHTD,

There are a few through trucks must take 540 that need to be updated. I'm looking at the one at the south side of 40 and 71 in Alma. If i knew how to post pics on here I would show it.

Looks like all the overheads have been changed out now, except along 540 at Van Buren. Oh, and this one:

I tried using street view on my phone, but won't let me view alma.  A sign that has been wrong for MANY YEARS:
exit 13 should say North US 71 since it runs cocurrent with 40 and 540 from Alma to Fort Smith.  If I'm correct, exit 7  is signed as I 540/US 71 South.

corco

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 18, 2014, 06:07:23 PM
Alternately the whole South I-540 block could be greened out.

If they're insistent about not putting a former I-540 north shield up where I-49 hits I-40, they really ought to green it out because seeing that I-540 is still ahead could really confuse travelers unfamiliar with the change.

roadman65

Even a "TO I-540" would be better.  Just green out the "SOUTH" and replace it with "TO."
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: robbones on May 18, 2014, 07:04:55 PM
I tried using street view on my phone, but won't let me view alma.  A sign that has been wrong for MANY YEARS:
exit 13 should say North US 71 since it runs cocurrent with 40 and 540 from Alma to Fort Smith.  If I'm correct, exit 7  is signed as I 540/US 71 South.

Exit 13 should be 71 North and 71B South  Fayetteville/Alma

Exit 7 is 540/71 , but only has been posted that way since 2009 when the exit signs were upgraded. 71 has never been co-signed on 540 at Fort Smith.

Exit 1 (I-540) was 40/71, but got changed to 40/540 only when the new exit signs were erected (which will now have to be changed to eliminate reference to a 40/540 overlap)

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2014, 04:43:38 PM
AHTD,

I think the giant 49 shield looks ridiculous compared to the smaller and better looking 40/540 shields on overheads. My first thought was "why is it so damn big?" It's clearly disproportional to the size of the overhead.

iPhone

robbones

When the Alma connector is ever finished, will the new section be exit 12A and the existing 12B or will it be the opposite?

amroad17

Arkansas DOT may have made that I-49 sign overly large to bring attention that the route number has changed from I-540 to I-49, although it does look silly.  It should be the same size as those on the pull-through sign. 

Also, I believe a simple green-out TO above the I-540 shield would suffice.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

US71

Quote from: robbones on May 18, 2014, 09:31:13 PM
When the Alma connector is ever finished, will the new section be exit 12A and the existing 12B or will it be the opposite?
Likely depends on how things are built.  My guess is SB will be 12A, NB will be 12B.

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on May 06, 2014, 05:36:30 PM
We are still projecting a fall completion for this project AND have discussed a "ride before you drive" event to give folks a preview of the facility before it opens to traffic. We will be coordinating this with the Ft. Chaffee Redevelopment Authority. More info as it becomes available!

This article reports that it currently looks like it will be late fall, if not the early part of winter, for the opening of the Chaffee Crossing section for traffic:

Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department District 4 Engineer Chad Adams ....
also said the future I-49 corridor from U.S. 71 up to Arkansas 22 near Barling should be ready for traffic by the end of the year.

apjung

Just realized that Fayetteville is indirectly named after Gen. Lafayette so I-49 passes thru two cities; the other being Lafayette, LA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayetteville,_Arkansas#Settlement_through_Antebellum_period

Are there any other Interstates that pass thru two cities with the same name or named after the same person?

mcdonaat

Quote from: apjung on May 25, 2014, 10:21:47 PM
Just realized that Fayetteville is indirectly named after Gen. Lafayette so I-49 passes thru two cities; the other being Lafayette, LA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayetteville,_Arkansas#Settlement_through_Antebellum_period

Are there any other Interstates that pass thru two cities with the same name or named after the same person?
If we can allow for "near" cities, I-49 passes through Pineville, MO, and comes within under a mile of Pineville, LA.

Or, if you want to be specific, US 71 passes through both Pinevilles, soon to be controlled access for the Louisiana city, with the opening of the Fort Buhlow Bridge.

bassoon1986

What do you mean by controlled access in Pineville, LA? It won't have exits or be a freeway on US 71

apjung

Doh! Close enough, I forgot about both Pineville on I-49.

O Tamandua

Here's a question I know I can get an answer from this group (as opposed to practically anyone else) on.

On Wednesday, the Northwest Arkansas Metro area "officially" hits 500,000 residents.

How many other metro areas of 1/2 million or more people in America do not (yet) have a through interstate?

Arkansastravelguy

District Of Columbia doesn't technically have a through interstate I don't think...

iPhone

english si

How big is the Miami met area? Clearly over 500k. That doesn't have a through Interstate!

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: english si on May 27, 2014, 05:15:04 AM
How big is the Miami met area? Clearly over 500k. That doesn't have a through Interstate!

I suppose it depends on how technical you get. You can enter Miami on 95 and leave on 75 so it doesn't have a single interstate throughway but it does have a throughway on the interstate system

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.