News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

And with this, the last Kmart in central Oklahoma goes under.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SP Cook

Yep, clearly this is heading for the end.  It seems they lack credit to replace merchandise as it is sold, so every couple of weeks they close another 40 or 50 stores, fire sale some of the stuff and reconsolidate the rest.  This list is K-Mart heavy (only 7 Sears),   

The pharmacy at my local K-Mart closed .  Only reason I noticed is Kroger and all the drug store chains had "welcom K-Mart customers" signs up.  As prescription drugs in the USA are on a sort of consignment system, Lord knows how they will unscramble that egg when it all goes under.

Noticed that one of the closures on the most recent list is the K-Mart near the mall in Lexington.  that is a really nice piece of property (location, location, location) and it will be interesting who get in that.

cl94

Yeah, they're going down. Company is announcing that 3-5% of their stores are closing a couple times a month. Kmart will soon exist only in the smallest towns and Sears is leaving a few cities as well. If that rate of closures continues, we may have a year before they announce the final closures.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

inkyatari

Surprised it took them so long to name the Sears in the Peru Mall, Peru, IL. That's a huge nothing mall that should be remade as a strip mall.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jp the roadgeek

Wow. Springfield going bye-bye.  The anchor tenant of Springfield Plaza.   I've been to that one before.  There's one about 20 minutes away in Holyoke so it's not a total end to Kmart in the Pioneer Valley.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

It seems that Connecticut has been avoiding closings for a while now...
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

1995hoo

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 07, 2017, 04:25:02 PM
Wow. Springfield going bye-bye.  The anchor tenant of Springfield Plaza.   I've been to that one before.  There's one about 20 minutes away in Holyoke so it's not a total end to Kmart in the Pioneer Valley.

This made me do a double-take because there's a K-Mart in Springfield Plaza here in Virginia, too, but it's staying open (for now). In my unscientific observation it seems to get a lot of foot traffic from nearby apartments.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thenetwork

The Kmart in the town I grew up in is still alive and kicking in Brunswick, OH.  Probably what's keeping them alive is that despite having a population of about 35,000, they surprisingly have no other competition (no Target, no Walmart) in their town, and I don't consider Big Lots to be in their league.  Both Strongsville to the north and Medina to the south have Targets and Wally-worlds.  Probably also helps that the Brunswick Kmart is right off of I-71.  Unless you live in the Medina city limits, their retail strips are hard to get to.

At one time, up until the 80s, Kmart had 2 other competitors in town:  W.T. Grant's/Grant City (which became Uncle Bills, which became Conley's, which is now a multiplex theater), and Fisher's Big Wheel.  When that location goes, I find it hard for any discount/department store to move into that small footprint of a space.

cl94

Quote from: thenetwork on July 07, 2017, 11:13:40 PM
The Kmart in the town I grew up in is still alive and kicking in Brunswick, OH.  Probably what's keeping them alive is that despite having a population of about 35,000, they surprisingly have no other competition (no Target, no Walmart) in their town, and I don't consider Big Lots to be in their league.  Both Strongsville to the north and Medina to the south have Targets and Wally-worlds.  Probably also helps that the Brunswick Kmart is right off of I-71.  Unless you live in the Medina city limits, their retail strips are hard to get to.

Which is part of why most of the remaining Kmarts in this part of the country are in areas without competition. Most of the remaining ones in New York are relatively far from the nearest Walmart or Target (typically 20+ minute drive). How the Queensbury one has survived with Walmart opening kitty corner a few years back is beyond me.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

LM117

Quote from: thenetwork on July 07, 2017, 02:09:43 PM
Well, it's only been 2 weeks since our last list of stores getting the axe, why not another round of closures???

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-closing-43-more-stores-160845669.html

Tune in next week for another edition of "Sears/Kmart Closures".

I see they still refuse to put Danville's stores out of their misery.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on July 07, 2017, 02:31:07 PM
Noticed that one of the closures on the most recent list is the K-Mart near the mall in Lexington.  that is a really nice piece of property (location, location, location) and it will be interesting who get in that.

Saw that today. That Kmart and the nearby Mr. Wigg's were must-stop places for us when we went to Lexington and were on Nicholasville Road when I was growing up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thenetwork

Last week I had to make a delivery to the Sears Auto department in my town.  I saw a sign that offered "Lifetime Wheel Balancing for a single price".  I wonder how you'd describe the terms of that deal nowadays???

renegade

The Kmart in Monroe, Michigan is closing.  In the mid-1970's, there was talk of a second Kmart for the south side of Monroe.

They built that one on W. Alexis Rd in Toledo.  The Kmart on W. Alexis Rd in Toledo is closing.

The last Sears in Toledo is closing.  The Sears in Frenchtown Mall closed several years ago.

There's still a Kmart in Ypsilanti/Belleville, Michigan, and a Sears at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor.  Come and get them.

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

thenetwork

As promised, (dah, dah, dah,...) another 8 bite the dust!!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-stores-closing-list-2017-161147937.html

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

LM117

Quote from: JJBers on July 12, 2017, 12:34:45 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 11, 2017, 09:27:28 PM

Actually, it's 43
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kmart-stores-closing-list-2017-160755680.html

WTF?! It hasn't even been a week yet! :-D

At the rate they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if they all closed by the time Santa starts making deliveries.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

inkyatari

thenetwork

kkt

Quote from: LM117 on July 12, 2017, 08:23:18 AM

Actually, it's 43

At the rate they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if they all closed by the time Santa starts making deliveries.

"Are you happy?  Are you Satisfied?  How long can you stand the heat?"

hm insulators

Yeesh. Sears/Kmart really just needs to shoot this horse now and put it out of its misery.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

vdeane

Quote from: LM117 on July 12, 2017, 08:23:18 AM

Actually, it's 43

I think these were announced at the same time, they were just put in two separate articles for some reason (one is Sears only, the other is Kmart only).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: hm insulators on July 12, 2017, 01:26:43 PM
Yeesh. Sears/Kmart really just needs to shoot this horse now and put it out of its misery.

I think that's what they're doing.  I'm sure each store has contracts tied to it and notice to give etc. and the HQ staff only have so many executives and lawyers so they spread out the closures a few each month.

Max Rockatansky

Looks like the Kmart in Kingman hung on way longer than I thought it would.  That place was a ghost town years ago, it had a nice location on AZ 66/Old US 66.

inkyatari

Seriously, why isn't the government looking into this.  It seems to me that the CEO is purposely killing the corporation for personal gain.

gonealookin

Our small South Lake Tahoe KMart staggers on, probably because it's the only store with that variety of merchandise within 25 miles.  I would much, much rather drive that far to get to Target or Walmart.  The condition of the SLT KMart interior and the merchandise selection is very reminiscent of the pathetically terminal Woolworth stores of the late 1980s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.