News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 02, 2018, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on June 01, 2018, 09:23:54 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 31, 2018, 04:59:50 PM
I see Genesee Valley Mall is losing it's Sears. I was just in that Sears last week and it didn't really look as dead as the one in Saginaw's Fashion Square Mall looks every time I'm in that Sears store. Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights is losing their Sears, as is Fairlane and Traverse City. Lakeside is the largest shopping mall in the state of Michigan by Gross Leasable Area and it's usually pretty busy when I'm there.
The only one I expected to see on the list was Traverse City as that location is in a dead mall that is also losing Younkers due to Bon-Ton's Chapter 7 liquidation
I can't even remember and without even looking I'm assuming it's in Cherryland. I have no idea how anyone thought Traverse City was going to succeed with two shopping malls.
Cherryland predated Grand Traverse by many years. Grand Traverse seems to be doing surprisingly well for a small town mall (having no vacant anchors). Cherryland has struggled ever since Grand Traverse managed to get JCPenney to relocate from downtown and Hudson's and Target to enter the market. Cherryland will only have Big Lots left as an anchor (Kmart closed last year).

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on June 02, 2018, 09:59:57 PM
I see Genesee Valley Mall is losing it's Sears. I was just in that Sears last week and it didn't really look as dead as the one in Saginaw's Fashion Square Mall looks every time I'm in that Sears store. Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights is losing their Sears, as is Fairlane and Traverse City. Lakeside is the largest shopping mall in the state of Michigan by Gross Leasable Area and it's usually pretty busy when I'm there.
The only one I expected to see on the list was Traverse City as that location is in a dead mall that is also losing Younkers due to Bon-Ton's Chapter 7 liquidation
I can't even remember and without even looking I'm assuming it's in Cherryland. I have no idea how anyone thought Traverse City was going to succeed with two shopping malls.
Cherryland predated Grand Traverse by many years. Grand Traverse seems to be doing surprisingly well for a small town mall (having no vacant anchors). Cherryland has struggled ever since Grand Traverse managed to get JCPenney to relocate from downtown and Hudson's and Target to enter the market. Cherryland will only have Big Lots left as an anchor (Kmart closed last year).
Cherryland opened in the 70's and Grand Traverse in the early 90's so I'm just assuming that Grand Traverse got all the tenants to move to a newer mall back then and Traverse City certainly isn't big enough for two malls.

Grand Traverse is the same size as the Bay City Mall, I've been in that mall quite a bit and consider it to be kind of small. Fashion Square is 800,000 square feet and Genesee Valley is about 1.3 million square feet so I guess I'm just use to bigger malls. It'll be strange to see a vacant anchor in Genesee Valley when Sears closes but I could see that one coming. I'm surprised that JCPenney in Courtland is still open since that side of Flint is pretty dead and lost a Target a few years ago.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 04, 2018, 12:58:51 AM
Cherryland opened in the 70's and Grand Traverse in the early 90's so I'm just assuming that Grand Traverse got all the tenants to move to a newer mall back then and Traverse City certainly isn't big enough for two malls.

Grand Traverse is the same size as the Bay City Mall, I've been in that mall quite a bit and consider it to be kind of small. Fashion Square is 800,000 square feet and Genesee Valley is about 1.3 million square feet so I guess I'm just use to bigger malls. It'll be strange to see a vacant anchor in Genesee Valley when Sears closes but I could see that one coming. I'm surprised that JCPenney in Courtland is still open since that side of Flint is pretty dead and lost a Target a few years ago.
JCPenney still has random locations in Michigan. They pulled out of Midland, but still have locations in Alpena, Big Rapids (a downtown one to boot!), Cadillac, and Mount Pleasant.

Back on topic, no Kmarts closed in Michigan this round. However, most of the remaining ones aren't in direct competition with Walmart, Meijer, or Target.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SectorZ on June 01, 2018, 01:36:17 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 01, 2018, 09:14:39 AM
Quote from: catch22 on May 31, 2018, 03:36:16 PM
Here is the latest closing list, cut down to 63 stores (48 Sears, 15 Kmarts).

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-closes-72-stores-as-sales-tumble-2018-5
Wow, so the Peabody, MA (Rt. 114 & 128) Sears is on that list.  My brother first worked at that location circa 1980.  Such was the beginning of his 25-year career with Sears.

Per a local story I read that I cannot currently find to link here, a developer already wanted to put a three-story gym where the Sears is, so that Sears was going away soon regardless of their current plight. They had already filed with the city the paperwork for the plans in March.
IIRC, at least prior to my moving out of the area circa July of 1990; there was a Bally's/Holiday's Fitness Center in the adjacent North Shore Mall.  I know, ancient history. 

Looking at the most current mall directory map; such wasn't replaced with another gym/fitness center since, so using the old Sears space would make sense.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

abefroman329

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 04, 2018, 11:58:00 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on June 01, 2018, 01:36:17 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 01, 2018, 09:14:39 AM
Quote from: catch22 on May 31, 2018, 03:36:16 PM
Here is the latest closing list, cut down to 63 stores (48 Sears, 15 Kmarts).

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-closes-72-stores-as-sales-tumble-2018-5
Wow, so the Peabody, MA (Rt. 114 & 128) Sears is on that list.  My brother first worked at that location circa 1980.  Such was the beginning of his 25-year career with Sears.

Per a local story I read that I cannot currently find to link here, a developer already wanted to put a three-story gym where the Sears is, so that Sears was going away soon regardless of their current plight. They had already filed with the city the paperwork for the plans in March.
IIRC, at least prior to my moving out of the area circa July of 1990; there was a Bally's/Holiday's Fitness Center in the adjacent North Shore Mall.  I know, ancient history. 

Looking at the most current mall directory map; such wasn't replaced with another gym/fitness center since, so using the old Sears space would make sense.

I don't know if Bally's was acquired by LA Fitness nationwide or just in the Chicago area, but the former Bally's locations here are almost universally dumps.  There's one in a former department store in Morton Grove, I think it might be a former Carson Pirie Scott based on the tilework on the floor, and I feel like you need a shot of penicillin just walking in there.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on June 04, 2018, 10:45:55 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 04, 2018, 12:58:51 AM

JCPenney still has random locations in Michigan. They pulled out of Midland, but still have locations in Alpena, Big Rapids (a downtown one to boot!), Cadillac, and Mount Pleasant.

Back on topic, no Kmarts closed in Michigan this round. However, most of the remaining ones aren't in direct competition with Walmart, Meijer, or Target.
I would have thought they would have pulled out of Bay City instead of Midland and now the Midland Mall is about to be down to only one anchor (Target) after Younker's closes. But you are correct they do have some really random locations, they use to have two JCPenney's in Saginaw one in Fashion Square Mall and one in Green Acres Plaza which is a strip mall on State Street just west of the city limits in Saginaw Township but that one closed probably about 15 years ago. Alma also has a JCPenney in a strip plaza so does Greenville. Petoskey has a downtown location in an old building.

Now regarding Kmart I agree that most of the remaining ones aren't in direct competition with Walmart, Meijer or Target. I can think of one that is in direct competition with a Walmart (Clio). We're down to 13 Kmart locations in Michigan and unless something big happens with Kmart I don't think we'll lose too many more.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 04, 2018, 12:13:18 PM
I don't know if Bally's was acquired by LA Fitness nationwide or just in the Chicago area, but the former Bally's locations here are almost universally dumps.  There's one in a former department store in Morton Grove, I think it might be a former Carson Pirie Scott based on the tilework on the floor, and I feel like you need a shot of penicillin just walking in there.
I had a Ballys lifetime membership that I purchased from a coworker (they got it when it was a Jack LaLanne) that was dirt cheap.  My local Ballys got bought out by 24 Hour Fitness (transfering my membership) and then soon after the local club closed permanently and that was that.  I found that 24 Hour Fitness apparently counted the 24 hours over separate days, as they closed at 10pm just like before.

abefroman329

I hope you were able to get some sort of pro-rated refund. Although gyms tend to use a pretty liberal definition of time and distance when you tell them you need to cancel because there isn't a club nearby. An old roommate tired to do just that, and the response was "but there's a gym 90 minutes away."

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 05, 2018, 07:22:30 AM
I hope you were able to get some sort of pro-rated refund. Although gyms tend to use a pretty liberal definition of time and distance when you tell them you need to cancel because there isn't a club nearby. An old roommate tired to do just that, and the response was "but there's a gym 90 minutes away."

That would be an evil little company that does billing for a lot of gyms called "ABC Financial".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadrunner75

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 05, 2018, 07:22:30 AM
I had a $60/year deal, that I got when I purchased it from a coworker (using their one-time transfer option) who originally got it back in the mid 80s.  It was so cheap that I would just renew it each year even though I went less and less (which is exactly what they want of course).  Surprisingly, 24 Hour Fitness still honored the same price.  When the place closed, the nearest one was pretty far away and it didn't look like they were going to continue to honor the original price, so I just dropped it.  I think they just gave me a refund for a portion of the yearly renewal fee.

abefroman329

Oh, you had an annual membership, not a lifetime one. Yes, that's exactly what gyms want you to do: Prepay an annual membership and never come back again. My health insurance company has a program where I can pay $25 a month and go to any of a network of thousands of gyms in the country, including any LA Fitness.

jp the roadgeek

Looks like a Sears near me that wasn't on the recent list is on the chopping block.  Brass Mill Center in Waterbury is only 20 years old but is essentially a dying mall full of dollar stores and not in a great neighborhood.  There's another one 20-25 minutes away in Meriden in a better (and older) mall.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/38373392/recently-announced-sears-closings-include-connecticut-store
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 07, 2018, 03:06:06 PM
Looks like a Sears near me that wasn't on the recent list is on the chopping block.  Brass Mill Center in Waterbury is only 20 years old but is essentially a dying mall full of dollar stores and not in a great neighborhood.  There's another one 20-25 minutes away in Meriden in a better (and older) mall.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/38373392/recently-announced-sears-closings-include-connecticut-store
Sort of reminds me of how Eastland Mall in Harper Woods, Michigan is. It sits on the border with Detroit and draws from that area which is one of the most crime ridden areas in the city of Detroit the 48205 zip code. Eastland almost has no anchors left and is full of dollar store type stores. There was a shooting outside of Eastland last summer and another shooting about 2-3 years ago there. The only anchor stores this mall has is a K&G Fashion Superstore and Shoppers World so you can imagine how this mall is. It lost Sears about 5 years ago, which replaced a JCPenney in the mall, it lost Macy's last year and it lost Target and Burlington Coat Factory this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see this entire mall shut down.

lepidopteran

Google MyMap of Kmart stores

Although the list that this map was derived from is titled "Year-2012 Store Locations", many seem to be from before then.  Placemarkers in red are closed, in green are open.  Selecting a pin will bring up additional information (where available) such as the store number and the year it first opened.

WR of USA

The Kmart near me on Cape Cod has its lease up sometime in the next few years, and the town is planning to redevelop the plaza into mixed use. I never really liked it, the store was always kinda run down, with cheap lighting and a old musty smell. Won't miss it at all once it's gone.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

DaBigE

Quote from: lepidopteran on June 07, 2018, 07:47:51 PM

Although the list that this map was derived from is titled "Year-2012 Store Locations", many seem to be from before then.  Placemarkers in red are closed, in green are open.  Selecting a pin will bring up additional information (where available) such as the store number and the year it first opened.

How does Puerto Rico support so many??  :-o
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadman65

Sears is now announced in Florida many store closings such as the one Altamonte which will have a price markdown soon as that is one of the many stores on the chopping block.  Considering that the chain survived over its parent is an impressive feat, especially that all Kmarts in Orlando have gone along time ago.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/companies/sears-adds-more-stores-to-closings-list-78-set-to-close-in-september/ar-AAzu6S2
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Quote from: DaBigE on June 07, 2018, 11:30:39 PM

I don't think Walmart has a presence in PR or USVI (they may have a presence in PR). Also, the map does not include the Kmarts that closed prior to the bankruptcy in 2002 (in some markets, Kmart relocated in the late 1980s or early 1990s from an older store [usually former Grant stores] into a newer ground-up store)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: ftballfan on July 03, 2018, 04:28:15 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on June 07, 2018, 11:30:39 PM

I don't think Walmart has a presence in PR or USVI (they may have a presence in PR). Also, the map does not include the Kmarts that closed prior to the bankruptcy in 2002 (in some markets, Kmart relocated in the late 1980s or early 1990s from an older store [usually former Grant stores] into a newer ground-up store)

There are actually several Walmarts in Puerto Rico.  No Target stores though.

adventurernumber1

It is interesting to see that Kmart is still doing well in the Florida Keys (at least sort of), according to that map. There are still three green pins all along the keys, with no red ones there.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US71

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on July 05, 2018, 10:22:37 AM

It is interesting to see that Kmart is still doing well in the Florida Keys (at least sort of), according to that map. There are still three green pins all along the keys, with no red ones there.

I think Russellville is the last K-Mart in Arkansas

Still a handful of Sears, but mostly in the central part of the state
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Flint1979

Quote from: US71 on July 05, 2018, 12:14:04 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on July 05, 2018, 10:22:37 AM

I think Russellville is the last K-Mart in Arkansas

Still a handful of Sears, but mostly in the central part of the state
And that Kmart is right next door to a Walmart Supercenter so I'm quite surprised Kmart is still open there and it is the lone Arkansas location left.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

I think Russellville is the last one in Arkansas, and it survives for another day
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Flint1979

Quote from: US71 on August 22, 2018, 09:35:32 PM
I think Russellville is the last one in Arkansas, and it survives for another day
It is the only Arkansas location left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.