News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Does anyone know why TN 58 heading south from TN 153 in Chattanooga is not mentioned on the Exit 6 guide sign on the freeway?    Amnicola Highway is listed as TN 319 Northbound instead.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/53281577026/in/dateposted-public/

I always thought that TN 319 begins from TN 58 at the intersection of Amnicola Hwy and Dupont Parkway just north of the college.

Here according to GSV imagery https://maps.app.goo.gl/RifztXhttCRQMxyf6
it has TN 58 greened out for SB Amnicola Highway and replaced again with SR 319 for NB.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 04:25:23 AM
Does anyone know why TN 58 heading south from TN 153 in Chattanooga is not mentioned on the Exit 6 guide sign on the freeway?    Amnicola Highway is listed as TN 319 Northbound instead.

I always thought that TN 319 begins from TN 58 at the intersection of Amnicola Hwy and Dupont Parkway just north of the college.

it has TN 58 greened out for SB Amnicola Highway and replaced again with SR 319 for NB.

TN 58 no longer exists between 20th St (US 11-64) Chattanooga and TN 153.   It is an odd thing to have done without renumbering TN 58 south of Chattanooga.

roadman65

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 24, 2023, 06:31:30 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 04:25:23 AM

TN 58 no longer exists between 20th St (US 11-64) Chattanooga and TN 153.   It is an odd thing to have done without renumbering TN 58 south of Chattanooga.

TN 17 should be renumbered to be TN 58 then.

Also the Goog needs to update its maps plus someone on here with access to Wikipedia should redo the article on TN 58.

Also does TDOT ever plan to build the extension of TN 319 north of TN 153? I assume it's to bypass both Middle Valley and Lakeside of which Hixson Pike does not.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 07:08:56 AM
Also does TDOT ever plan to build the extension of TN 319 north of TN 153? I assume it's to bypass both Middle Valley and Lakeside of which Hixson Pike does not.

That ghost end has existed for decades.  The residential in the way of an extension has existed about as long (if not longer).  Given that, it's safe to say an extension will never see the light of day.

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2023, 07:56:26 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 07:08:56 AM

That ghost end has existed for decades.  The residential in the way of an extension has existed about as long (if not longer).  Given that, it's safe to say an extension will never see the light of day.

I saw that in Satellite imagery. I was wondering why they have that diamond configuration when they would have to demolish homes to extend the road if needed.

IMO, I think US 27 already bypasses Middle Valley and Lakeside. To built another freeway would be redundant.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/N9Q3A1ccG1pN3KAz6
I found this assembly at the other SR 58 alignment. It's signed, though, with the triangle shield.  It shows it northward to US 11/41/64/72 as concurrent with SR 17.

This is why TN 17 should be remembered to SR 58 up to SR 153. Let SR 17 be truncated to here and be the connection to GA Hwy 180.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

Well the toll lanes proposal isn't looking very promising and to top it off state officials are calling them "choice lanes." For fucks sake, just call them what they are, toll lanes. I hate it when people try to butter things up and borderline lie to the public. Anyways I thought this article was interesting:

Quote"Management gave the example from Murfreesboro to Nashville as too difficult to complete," the report's authors wrote.

Despite studying the possibility of bringing choice lanes to cities like Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville, the report concluded that may not be possible.

- https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/nashville/state-report-finds-plan-to-bring-choice-lanes-to-tn-comes-with-risks/

Plutonic Panda

I-39

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 19, 2023, 08:20:28 PM
Tennessee has released their first ever 10 year plan: https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2023/12/18/tennessee-unveils-state-s-first-ever-10-year-fiscally-constrained-transportation-project-plan.html

Good to see the US 31 widening between I-840 and Duplex in Thompson's Station/Spring Hill on the list. That is one of the most significant bottlenecks in the region.

Thompson's Station/Spring Hill/Columbia are among the fastest growing areas within the Nashville MSA and have been largely neglected by TDOT. They also need to address the stretch of I-65 between I-840 and SR 396.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on December 21, 2023, 10:21:55 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 19, 2023, 08:20:28 PM
Tennessee has released their first ever 10 year plan: https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2023/12/18/tennessee-unveils-state-s-first-ever-10-year-fiscally-constrained-transportation-project-plan.html

Good to see the US 31 widening between I-840 and Duplex in Thompson's Station/Spring Hill on the list. That is one of the most significant bottlenecks in the region.

Thompson's Station/Spring Hill/Columbia are among the fastest growing areas within the Nashville MSA and have been largely neglected by TDOT. They also need to address the stretch of I-65 between I-840 and SR 396.

That is horrible news.  There is already a by-pass of the area, it is called I-65.  The US 31/SR 6 stretch through the area is scenic and has a semi-rural character and charm to it.  The area will look horrible if SR 6 (US 31) is widened.  Look at the former scenic SSR 266, Sam Ridley Pkwy in Smyrna, it is now drab and looks nothing like it did in the past.  Not only that, the traffic is much worse now with the winding than previous.

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 09, 2024, 08:59:36 PM
That is horrible news.  There is already a by-pass of the area, it is called I-65.  The US 31/SR 6 stretch through the area is scenic and has a semi-rural character and charm to it.  The area will look horrible if SR 6 (US 31) is widened.
Not sure the intent of widening US-31 is to be a "bypass"... it's to keep up with the growth patterns in that area. With those neighborhoods and development popping up left and right, keeping US-31 to two lanes will only cause congestion to worsen. Widen now before the growth comes, that way there's room to accommodate increased traffic. I see no issues with this proposal. Good job Tennessee.

Look at the former scenic SSR 266, Sam Ridley Pkwy in Smyrna, it is now drab and looks nothing like it did in the past.  Not only that, the traffic is much worse now with the winding than previous.
I'm sure it was the widening that caused the increased traffic... not the significant growth around the area. /s

Plutonic Panda

Isn't it amazing every time you hear the induced demand crap they always conveniently leave out how the areas these wider roads are built in are already growing and probably needed it long ago in some cases.

Georgia Guardrail

I know back in the 1980s, downtown I-75 in Knoxville was redesignated as I-275 and then I-75 was rerouted to merge with I-640 on the west side until they both intersected with I-40.  Problem is for drivers going north on I-75, they have only *one* lane on the north split flyover ramp at the I-640/I-275/I-75 interchange. 

I personally think they should widen the I-75 NB flyover ramp to 2 lanes since it is part of the interstate now.  Either that or go back to the original designation of I-75 going straight downtown. Not really sure what the benefit was of that redesignation in the first place.

Thoughts?

Tom958

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on January 12, 2024, 02:59:58 PM
I know back in the 1980s, downtown I-75 in Knoxville was redesignated as I-275 and then I-75 was rerouted to merge with I-640 on the west side until they both intersected with I-40.  Problem is for drivers going north on I-75, they have only *one* lane on the north split flyover ramp at the I-640/I-275/I-75 interchange. 

I personally think they should widen the I-75 NB flyover ramp to 2 lanes since it is part of the interstate now.  Either that or go back to the original designation of I-75 going straight downtown. Not really sure what the benefit was of that redesignation in the first place.

Thoughts?

The I-640 route is two miles shorter than the I-275 route, as well as removing through traffic from downtown.

I think that ramp should be two lanes, too. I was preparing to say that a more elaborate arrangement would be required for the weaving section on I-75 between the end of the ramp and the Merchant Drive exit, but maybe not, at least not right off. the ramp from westbound I-640 would have to merge into the newly-two-lane ramp rather than adding a lane of its own as it does now.

In an ideal world, there'd be an unTOTSO interchange with I-75 having its own curving mainline through the interchange, like this. That'll never happen, though.

wriddle082

Quote from: Tom958 on January 12, 2024, 09:18:08 PM
Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on January 12, 2024, 02:59:58 PM

Thoughts?

The I-640 route is two miles shorter than the I-275 route, as well as removing through traffic from downtown.

I think that ramp should be two lanes, too. I was preparing to say that a more elaborate arrangement would be required for the weaving section on I-75 between the end of the ramp and the Merchant Drive exit, but maybe not, at least not right off. the ramp from westbound I-640 would have to merge into the newly-two-lane ramp rather than adding a lane of its own as it does now.

In an ideal world, there'd be an unTOTSO interchange with I-75 having its own curving mainline through the interchange, like this. That'll never happen, though.

The rerouting occurred when that particular stretch of 640 west of 75 opened in the very early 80's.  The 40/275 interchange was rebuilt from an ancient substandard cloverleaf to the current directional T plus extra ramps configuration in preparation for the 1982 World's Fair (which was the last time Knoxville was ever relevant for anything aside from UT winning the 1998 NCAA football championship).  However a couple of the flyovers leading to/from Henley St. weren't completed until the 90's, and were Evil Knieval ramps throughout the 80's.

elsmere241

We lived in Nashville from 1975 to 1982, and after moving (to Newark, DE) made many visits back there.  This necessitated going through/around Knoxville.  My parents called 640 the "Jake Butcher Expressway".

The Ghostbuster

One highway in Knoxville I find that stands out to me is the James White Parkway. The southern terminus at Sevierville Pike is a stub end. Obviously it was originally planned to go further, and I don't think the presence of South Doyle Middle School was the only barrier preventing a southern extension of the JWP. Was the JWP planned to originally terminate at US 441, or was it planned to go further than 441?

froggie

The extension proposal as it existed when it was killed in 2013 had it terminating at 441 near Sevier Hwy (TN 168).

The Middle School wasn't really a factor as the plan was to curve it north(east) of the school.  The main barrier was the impacts to the Knoxville Urban Wilderness...a protected parkland.

index

Is the recent snowstorm the cause of all the massive craters all over Tennessee's Interstates right now? I had no idea they could do that if so. The ones on I-40 in West Tennessee were so bad I had to get a new alignment. I was holding the steering wheel like ten degrees to the right to keep straight by the time I reached the Missouri Bootheel on this trip I just took.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

hbelkins

Quote from: index on January 30, 2024, 01:28:08 PM
Is the recent snowstorm the cause of all the massive craters all over Tennessee's Interstates right now? I had no idea they could do that if so. The ones on I-40 in West Tennessee were so bad I had to get a new alignment. I was holding the steering wheel like ten degrees to the right to keep straight by the time I reached the Missouri Bootheel on this trip I just took.

Probably just freeze-thaw cycles in general, and not the snowstorm in particular.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

triplemultiplex

That and a good ol' fashioned pounding by thousands of trucks.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MikieTimT

The DOTs in general don't spend time drizzling tar into the cracks anymore like they used to.  That allows water ingress, which when frozen like it was a couple of weeks ago, forces the cracks wider.  Then the thaw melted the ice and then there's a void left behind in the pavement, which quickly gets crushed down by trucks, developing into potholes.  Most of the DOTs are scrambling nationwide right now to patch like mad as there's some lanes of Interstates having to close down due to damaged pavement and even some bridge decks.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 01, 2024, 11:44:10 AM
The DOTs in general don't spend time drizzling tar into the cracks anymore like they used to.

But up here, where a lot of routine maintenance is delegated to the counties, you absolutely still see this exercise in futility.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sprjus4

Tennessee is finally eliminating the 65 mph / 55 mph truck speed limit on I-81 south of Bristol. The speed limit will be increased next week to 70 mph for all vehicles.

https://x.com/marknagitdot/status/1763201428124815823

wriddle082

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 29, 2024, 10:44:05 AM
Tennessee is finally eliminating the 65 mph / 55 mph truck speed limit on I-81 south of Bristol. The speed limit will be increased next week to 70 mph for all vehicles.

https://x.com/marknagitdot/status/1763201428124815823

It was all done in an effort to get the air quality in EPA compliance for the metro areas where it wasn't in compliance.  Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Memphis metro areas also had these ridiculous speed limit decreases, while Nashville instead expanded emissions testing to the outlying counties so their speed limits never went down from 70 to 65 once you entered an outlying county.  I know that Metro Knoxville has raised their limits back to 70, but I can't remember whether or not Chattanooga or Memphis have done the same.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.