News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highway 61 at Leland, Mississippi

Started by cbalducc, June 21, 2012, 05:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbalducc

I think US Highway 61 was realigned two or three times going south into Leland, Mississippi before bypassing the town to the east in the late 1970s.  I remember when the bypass was under construction.  It joined a stretch of Highway 61 just east of Arcola, which had been built between there and Hollandale on a new alignment in the 1960s.  I remember my family and I going to Vicksburg in 1973-4.  We went through Leland, then on the old highway south of there to Arcola, where we made a left turn on Highway 438 to go to the new stretch of Highway 61.  The old highway was very curvy between Leland and Hollandale.
Froggie, you seem the expert on Mississippi highways.  Why don't you write a book? :bigass:

God bless,

CKB

codyg1985

Even though US 61 between Leland and Vicksburg is mostly two-lane, it is a really good quality two-lane road with ample room for passing. The only thing I would add is paved shoulders.

I drove that stretch a few weeks ago. It was actually not as bad as I thought it would be.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

golden eagle

I grew up and still live in Mississippi and I've never been on the stretch of 61 between Leland and Vicksburg. I may not be missing anything, though.

msunat97

61 between Vicksburg & Leland isn't bad.  It'd be great if it had paved shoulders as mentioned above.  The new bridge over the Yazoo river is nice.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: golden eagle on June 23, 2012, 01:19:32 PM
I grew up and still live in Mississippi and I've never been on the stretch of 61 between Leland and Vicksburg. I may not be missing anything, though.

Blue Cotton out that way.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: cbalducc on June 21, 2012, 05:36:23 PM
I think US Highway 61 was realigned two or three times going south into Leland, Mississippi before bypassing the town to the east in the late 1970s.  I remember when the bypass was under construction.  It joined a stretch of Highway 61 just east of Arcola, which had been built between there and Hollandale on a new alignment in the 1960s.  I remember my family and I going to Vicksburg in 1973-4.  We went through Leland, then on the old highway south of there to Arcola, where we made a left turn on Highway 438 to go to the new stretch of Highway 61.  The old highway was very curvy between Leland and Hollandale.

I know it's been re-aligned south of Leland a couple times.  There's South Main St, which crosses over US 82 and parallels and abandoned railroad R/W,  "Old Hwy 61" which meets 82 at a 4-Way Stop, and modern 61 east of town.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cbalducc

Quote from: US71 on July 04, 2012, 05:39:30 PM
Quote from: cbalducc on June 21, 2012, 05:36:23 PM

I know it's been re-aligned south of Leland a couple times.  There's South Main St, which crosses over US 82 and parallels and abandoned railroad R/W,  "Old Hwy 61" which meets 82 at a 4-Way Stop, and modern 61 east of town.

Highway 61 originally followed the now-abandoned railroad through Leland.  It crossed Highway 82 at the viaduct (the road bridge is now gone, the railroad bridge might follow), although it certainly intersected 82 at some place and time before the viaduct was built.  Sometime in the mid-20th Century, Highway 61 was moved a block east and intersected Highway 82 at grade.  South of there, the "old old" 61 and "old" 61 came together.
I drove Old Highway 61 south of Leland to Hollandale yesterday (the 4th of July).  Unlike Highway 61 north of Leland, which has slight curves and long tangents dating from its 1930s rebuild, the highway between Leland and Hollandale is quite curvy, since it often follows Deer Creek.  Perhaps this alignment dates to when Highway 61 was first created in the 1920s.
South of Hollandale, a newer alignment of 61 was built, with the old alignment paralleling it a few miles.  Both retain a twin-slab concrete look.  You can see both at this link:

http://goo.gl/maps/k3eo

Returning home, I noticed a new bridge across a creek at Nitta Yuma to the west of the old bridge, with the curve being eased somewhat.  I think part of the railroad right-of-way was used to straighten the highway.

God bless,

CKB

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.