News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

City Quiz.io

Started by CoreySamson, November 21, 2020, 04:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I found this game after a Youtuber I watch played it:
https://cityquiz.io

The premise is you have to name as many cities as you can from memory (although it is easy to cheat by pulling up a map on another browser). Just hit clear to get a blank slate if it's not already and begin typing. How many do you know?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

GaryV

I got bored after putting in just a few.

Although it would be interesting to see how small a place it knows about.

webny99

I don't know why I'm spending so much time on this, but I'm up to 105 cities, haven't touched the Southeast yet, and the only time I looked at a map is to get the correct spelling of "Albuquerque". I'm aiming for at least three from every state.

I noticed that if there's more than one city with the same name, it picks the most populous. I typed in Augusta expecting the one in Maine to come up, but Augusta, GA came up instead. It's easy to bypass that, though, by just selecting the state you want.

CNGL-Leudimin

I tried it a while ago. I literally named every single community along I-70 between the UT/CO line and Denver. I also named two communities with a population of 1 :sombrero:. There are also a few other games, in the European one I named a French commune with a population of 1 as well.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CoreySamson

The smallest city I've found in the game is Lake Buena Vista, FL, with a poulation of just 10.

I'm up to 456 cities, and I haven't gotten into Texas, Utah, Virginia, or Washington yet.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Brandon

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 21, 2020, 04:33:01 PM
I found this game after a Youtuber I watch played it:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa

The premise is you have to name as many cities as you can from memory (although it is easy to cheat by pulling up a map on another browser). Just hit clear to get a blank slate if it's not already and begin typing. How many do you know?

Not bad for just off the top of my head:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216545
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CoreySamson

Here's my finished product:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216555

Probably could've added more if I had more time and brainpower. You can easily see a couple US highways that I've utilized on road trips (I-10, US 59, I-30, I-55).

My Route Log
My Clinches

webny99

FINAL: 300 cities. I decided to stop there, although I probably could have done a few more. I got at least three from every state, 48 of 50 state capitals, and 32 of 33 cities over 500,000. The ones I missed? Frankfort, KY, and Washington, DC (:rolleyes:), but I can't figure out which other state capital I missed. The smallest "city" I got was Harpers Ferry, WV, population 286.

Quote from: Brandon on November 21, 2020, 07:05:59 PM

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether to believe you knew 863 off the top of your head.

CoreySamson

Quote from: webny99 on November 21, 2020, 08:58:20 PM
FINAL: 300 cities. I decided to stop there, although I probably could have done a few more. I got at least three from every state, 48 of 50 state capitals, and 32 of 33 cities over 500,000. The ones I missed? Frankfort, KY, and Washington, DC (:rolleyes:), but I can't figure out which other state capital I missed. The smallest "city" I got was Harpers Ferry, WV, population 286.

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether to believe you knew 863 off the top of your head.

Looks like you missed Helena, Montana.

My Route Log
My Clinches

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 21, 2020, 09:01:33 PM

Ah, yes. You are correct. Stupid one to miss, considering I got five other cities from Montana and there's probably plenty of people that couldn't get any!

CNGL-Leudimin

Here's my try with 1,300 communities in :sombrero:: https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216737. All the major cities are in, as well as several other well known places. Staring at detailed maps of several major cities helped me with many suburbs, other locations are frequented by Big Rig Steve (e.g. Schuyler, Nebraska), yet another group are endpoints for Interstate or US Routes, I got a couple by being the unexpected locations of Ronald McDonald Houses (Marshfield, Wisconsin and Danville, Pennsylvania) and even Mr. Pearson (syndrome) got me one (that would be Winder, Georgia). According to the latest blog post I've gone over the 99th percentile, now that is something.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216763

I was a bit frustrated about which New England towns were accepted and which ones weren't. (The author says it's done on a case-by-case basis.)

My worst state relative to what I should have gotten was probably Mississippi, which only had 6 that I knew plus two random guesses. (You can see the random guesses all over the map.) I also didn't have that much for Utah or Colorado, but they have major cities and then nothingness, as opposed to Mississippi, which has cities throughout.

I couldn't seem to name any suburbs of Columbus, OH (and I completely forgot the other Columbus), Jacksonville, or San Antonio.

A decent number of New Jersey townships were intended for other states.

It did recognize one city in Georgia that was incorporated in 2015.

Why isn't Puerto Rico included?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

Nope, it's on my list (as are the other 49 state capitals).  And yes, I pulled 863 off the top of my head without reverting to Google Maps or any other map.  I stopped on many suburbs of Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee, as I didn't want to overload those areas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Big John

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 22, 2020, 07:19:55 AM
I got a couple by being the unexpected locations of Ronald McDonald Houses (Marshfield, Wisconsin and Danville, Pennsylvania)
Marshfield WI is a small city, but Marshfield Clinic is a major medical center in Wisconsin, thus warranting a Ronald McDonald House.

webny99

Quote from: Brandon on November 22, 2020, 09:14:41 AM

Nope, it's on my list (as are the other 49 state capitals).  And yes, I pulled 863 off the top of my head without reverting to Google Maps or any other map.  I stopped on many suburbs of Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee, as I didn't want to overload those areas.

He was responding to the other part of my quote, which said I was missing 2 state capitals.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on November 22, 2020, 08:59:04 AM
I couldn't seem to name any suburbs of Columbus, OH (and I completely forgot the other Columbus), Jacksonville, or San Antonio.

Jacksonville, like San Antonio, doesn't have many named suburbs, and those that are named are generally small communities that have managed to avoid annexation over the years.

Columbus, OH, is somewhere in between, with a lot of annexation, especially compared to Cleveland and Cincinnati, but still some noteworthy suburbs. I know several of them only because I have a number of friends/family in the area.

webny99

I just did it again using the Wikipedia page of cities in each state. I generally started with the largest cities and stopped when I reached 30,000 in population, although there were several exceptions, such as excluding suburbs of cities in which I already had 10+ (especially in SoCal, Florida, Detroit, and the Twin Cities), and including some smaller, but significant, cities, such as Bemidji, MN; Marquette, MI; etc.

Total: 1,038 (but somehow still only 273 of 282 cities over 100K; would love to figure out which 9 I'm missing).
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216850

ozarkman417

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 21, 2020, 07:36:44 PM

Probably could've added more if I had more time and brainpower. You can easily see a couple US highways that I've utilized on road trips (I-10, US 59, I-30, I-55).
I wonder how you remembered to include Eminence, MO but not Springfield, MO, or any Springfield other than MA or IL.

This could be something I can try on my seven hour drive (as a passenger), that is coming soon. It takes lots of time, and I can include the cities I drive through along the way.

CNGL-Leudimin

And here is a 1,505 community try :sombrero:: https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216927. In this one in a major brainfart I almost forgot Nashville...

And now I notice I missed Chattanooga. D'oh!

Scott5114

I believe it. It appears to accept the population-1,200 town that I grew up in, as well as the population-800 town I went to high school in, so I can run up the score by just listing unimportant towns in Oklahoma that I remember us playing sports against. That also means I can just list off county seats and those are guaranteed to be there. You also get some collateral damage that way (I entered "Beaver" trying to get the town in the Oklahoma panhandle and it gave me Beaver PA; I had to type "Beaver, OK" to get the town I was going for, so now I have credit for two cities instead of one).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 22, 2020, 02:39:54 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on November 21, 2020, 07:36:44 PM

I wonder how you remembered to include Eminence, MO but not Springfield, MO, or any Springfield other than MA or IL.

This could be something I can try on my seven hour drive (as a passenger), that is coming soon. It takes lots of time, and I can include the cities I drive through along the way.

I remembered it because of my "Roads that still don't have GSV thread". Eminence apparently has no GSV last I checked earlier this year.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Scott5114

I finished with 875 after about 2 hours of playing. A decent chunk of mine are, as mentioned above, random nearby small towns that it accepted. Another good source of are places that are thoroughly unimportant other than being important highway junctions or termini, like Teec Nos Pos, AZ (western terminus of US-64).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jp the roadgeek

Taking a break at 1146.  Can't get over the inconsistencies.  Seems every little village in NY, NJ, and PA are in there, but CT is ridiculous.  Norfolk and Lakeville (which is actually a part of the town of Sharon, which itself isn't included) each with populations under 1000, are included; but Hamden, Wallingford, and Southington, each with populations north of 40k are not. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

It's not too hard to rack up numbers when thinking about it systematically, going state by state and even corridor by corridor - especially since it uses a broad definition of "city" (Wiseman, AK counts, for example).

They also have Canada, Europe, Asia, Mexico, and Brazil.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.