News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old School Elevator

Started by roadman65, October 26, 2022, 08:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I always remembered the older elevators that used buttons and once depressed it would light up to confirm the call you placed. Many older ones had buttons that didn't light and you had to assure yourself that you placed the call.

Then above the elevator door was a bunch of numbers that lit up whenever the cars passed a certain floor, that floor number would register.  Usually only the lobby floor would have these.

Then the up or down arrows would either light up white or green for up, and standard red for down.

Now of course touch buttons that register the call replaced the old spring buttons. Digital numbers replaced the floor board and a red arrow is used for both up and down.  However I still miss the old features though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

I remember real old school elevators, in which an operator had to stop the car when it got to the floor you wanted. There was a window he (almost always was a he) looked through to see when the elevator aligned with the floor. He used a lever-like throttle thing to move it up and down.

Big John

Only 4 manual elevators still exist in the USA.  One of them: https://landmarkhunter.com/199537-bellin-building/

kphoger

Old-school freight elevators are even more fun:  the ones where, if you don't follow all the steps when you get off, nobody else can call the elevator from a different floor–so they have to find another way up/down to your floor, do what you should have done to begin with, then go back to where they left their freight.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on October 26, 2022, 08:58:00 AM
I always remembered the older elevators that used buttons and once depressed it would light up to confirm the call you placed. Many older ones had buttons that didn't light and you had to assure yourself that you placed the call.

Then above the elevator door was a bunch of numbers that lit up whenever the cars passed a certain floor, that floor number would register.  Usually only the lobby floor would have these.

Then the up or down arrows would either light up white or green for up, and standard red for down.

Now of course touch buttons that register the call replaced the old spring buttons. Digital numbers replaced the floor board and a red arrow is used for both up and down.  However I still miss the old features though.

Are these "new-school" elevators really that common where you are? The only one I've seen with an actual screen for the floor display was at a fairly new-looking Holiday Inn Express in Albuquerque a few days ago. It still had manual floor buttons, though, not a touch screen.

I'm currently at the Rio in Las Vegas, and the elevators here have both the light-up manual buttons and a seven-segment display for the floor number. (One nice thing about this particular elevator is that it has buttons on both sides of the door, so there's less of a chance you'll need to do the awkward thing where you ask a stranger to press the floor button for you. It's also the fastest elevator I've ever been in; the first time we rode it I was kind of startled by it.)

One thing you mention that I haven't seen in a long time is the individual per-floor lights presented as such. That's now nearly always a seven-segment or dot matrix display. (Although I've seen some elevators that clearly have individual lights per floor, but with a filter in front of them that makes it look like a dot matrix display. Except you can see the number move across the display as it changes, which a real dot matrix display wouldn't need.)

One thing I've never seen in person, but have seen in old TV shows and such, is a speedometer-like dial display for the floor indicator.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

I've never seen a touchscreen anything in an elevator.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 26, 2022, 11:57:20 AM

One thing you mention that I haven't seen in a long time is the individual per-floor lights presented as such. That's now nearly always a seven-segment or dot matrix display. (Although I've seen some elevators that clearly have individual lights per floor, but with a filter in front of them that makes it look like a dot matrix display. Except you can see the number move across the display as it changes, which a real dot matrix display wouldn't need.)

That "dot faketrix" display is a Dover/ThyssenKrupp thing. It is commonly found on low-rise Dover/ThyssenKrupp elevators. Many older installations used incandescent bulbs.

Scott5114

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 26, 2022, 12:57:01 PM

That "dot faketrix" display is a Dover/ThyssenKrupp thing. It is commonly found on low-rise Dover/ThyssenKrupp elevators. Many older installations used incandescent bulbs.

Yeah, the elevator I most clearly remember seeing that display in, I'm fairly sure was a ThyssenKrupp. (It was in my old workplace, which only had two stories.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

If I were to think of an "old school" elevator, I'd probably think of the ones that had the brass display above the doors while you waited and it looked sort of like a half-clock with a "hand" pointing to where the elevator was at the moment.

The most "new school" elevator I think I've seen was at the Parc 55 Hotel in San Francisco this past July. There is a bank of six or seven elevators serving the guest floors and there is a keypad (similar to a touch-tone phone keypad) on which you punch in your desired floor before you board the elevator. It then tells you which car to take and when that one arrives, it takes you to your floor. I'm sure I have a picture or video on my phone that I can upload if anyone's interested.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: roadman65 on October 26, 2022, 08:58:00 AM

Are these "new-school" elevators really that common where you are? The only one I've seen with an actual screen for the floor display was at a fairly new-looking Holiday Inn Express in Albuquerque a few days ago. It still had manual floor buttons, though, not a touch screen.

I'm currently at the Rio in Las Vegas, and the elevators here have both the light-up manual buttons and a seven-segment display for the floor number. (One nice thing about this particular elevator is that it has buttons on both sides of the door, so there's less of a chance you'll need to do the awkward thing where you ask a stranger to press the floor button for you. It's also the fastest elevator I've ever been in; the first time we rode it I was kind of startled by it.)

One thing I've never seen in person, but have seen in old TV shows and such, is a speedometer-like dial display for the floor indicator.

As far as the button panel on both sides go, it has to be with a two opposing side doors.  The one side door, whether one door or two telescopic doors has the side wall align itself with the side of the door ( usually on the side of the car that is next to another elevator shaft) don't have the area to place one.

What I hate is the rear door elevator not having a floor button console, so you have to go across the car awkwardly through other folks to get to choose your floor.

The former Alexis's Brothers hospital in Elizabeth, NJ had a rear door that only opened on the basement level.  The rest of the seven floors used the main door. The only console was in the front of the car, but being most people go off at the basement being the end floor, those entering had a clear shot across the elevator to touch the floor button.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 12:47:50 PM
I've never seen a touchscreen anything in an elevator.

Very common in newer buildings, even non-highrises, in Seattle. Many now require you to enter a destination with a touchscreen before calling the elevator (since it'll sort you based on requested floors, which is more efficient). The interiors lack any normal way to call a floor other than the ground floor.

kurumi

I haven't seen one in person, but the Paternoster Lift is even old schoolier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster_lift
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JoePCool14

This is very specific, but I find elevators that use screens for the floor indicators tacky. I prefer seven-segment displays or even the classic "light-per-floor" displays.

Also, this is one of the last places that I expected to see a thread on elevators.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Pink Jazz

For those who didn't know, the big four manufacturers of elevators are Otis (USA), ThyssenKrupp (Germany), Schindler (Switzerland), and KONE (Finland). Many past manufacturers of elevators have been scooped up by one of these companies. Dover and US Elevator were bought out by ThyssenKrupp. Haughton and Westinghouse were bought out Schindler. Armor and Montgomery were bought out by KONE.

thenetwork

I have always been interested in elevators (more scared-to-death of them as a kid) and consider them as an art form since you have cookie-cutter elevators to elaborate works of art (mostly in older buildings).

Google or YouTube elevator videos and you'll open up a new geekdom, much like this group of road enthusiasts. 

It's amazing how elevators vary around the world and the state of the art technology of newer elevators just amazes me, not to mention the terminology they use (gongs and lanterns, to name a few).

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 10:51:14 AM
Old-school freight elevators are even more fun:  the ones where, if you don't follow all the steps when you get off, nobody else can call the elevator from a different floor–so they have to find another way up/down to your floor, do what you should have done to begin with, then go back to where they left their freight.
I had previous employment doing facilities maintenance for Sears, and yeah, the freight elevators in back, you were basically required to close the elevator back up upon departure (no auto doors/all manual buttons, and hit and hold to close) so it could be called by the other floor

Or, if you wanted to make sure the elevator was still waiting for you, just leave the door open, and PO anyone else who might want/need to use it

roadman65

Come to think of it, the elevator inside the top of the Empire State Building between the 86th Floor Observatory and the 102nd Floor Observatory, had an inside gate rather than a door.  Plus it had an operator running the car as well.

Don’t know if it’s still that way today though. It’s been decades since I visited it last.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2022, 07:22:25 AM
Come to think of it, the elevator inside the top of the Empire State Building between the 86th Floor Observatory and the 102nd Floor Observatory, had an inside gate rather than a door.  Plus it had an operator running the car as well.

Don't know if it's still that way today though. It's been decades since I visited it last.

I think the Duke Chapel elevator that goes halfway up the tower (you then take a narrow spiral staircase to the top) was like that as well, but it's been almost 25 years since I was up there and it's no longer open to the general public.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

I've used this type elevator at the Bob Carpenter complex at the Univ of Delaware.

A doctor's office my mother in law goes to has a similar type elevator built inside what was basically a closet to help get to the basement floor, which they use for medical procedures.

JoePCool14

Quote from: thenetwork on October 26, 2022, 10:32:48 PM
I have always been interested in elevators (more scared-to-death of them as a kid) and consider them as an art form since you have cookie-cutter elevators to elaborate works of art (mostly in older buildings).

Google or YouTube elevator videos and you'll open up a new geekdom, much like this group of road enthusiasts. 

It's amazing how elevators vary around the world and the state of the art technology of newer elevators just amazes me, not to mention the terminology they use (gongs and lanterns, to name a few).

I won't lie, I've spent a decent amount of time watching those videos. It is definitely an odd interest, but the unique finds are cool to see. Unfortunately, many of the videographers of them aren't very good (they're usually young, and/or have some sort of disability, so I do understand).

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 26, 2022, 10:39:18 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 10:51:14 AM

I had previous employment doing facilities maintenance for Sears, and yeah, the freight elevators in back, you were basically required to close the elevator back up upon departure (no auto doors/all manual buttons, and hit and hold to close) so it could be called by the other floor

Or, if you wanted to make sure the elevator was still waiting for you, just leave the door open, and PO anyone else who might want/need to use it

The one I had specifically in mind was at SIU.  Not sure if it's still there.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

Quote from: Big John on October 26, 2022, 10:07:13 AM
Only 4 manual elevators still exist in the USA.  One of them: https://landmarkhunter.com/199537-bellin-building/

Coit Tower in San Francisco Had a manual elevator around 1999, with an operator.

zachary_amaryllis

When I was a teenager, I worked during the summers hanging drywall with my stepfather. One of the places we worked, was (don't know what it's called now) the Stouffer Concourse, on Quebec near the old Stapleton Airport.

It was like a 9-story building that had these cool elevators on the outside, that had the multiple steps to use it someone described above. I remember thinking at the time it looked super sketchy.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Georgia Guardrail

I was always intrigued by elevators.  I remember going to Sears as a child and being fascinated with the different colored buttons.  The buttons or the area around the buttons usually lit up.  I wanted to press the red fire alarm call button so bad but my parents didn't let me for obvious reasons!

roadman65

Speaking of the Empire State Buildings 86-102 caged elevator, I see in the late 2010s, that it's been replaced with a glass elevator.  Plus an extra $20 to ride it as the admission only covers the visit to the 86th Floor.

Forty years ago, the price of admission covered both observatories.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.