News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Found this gem while researching routes for the Birmingham meet: https://goo.gl/maps/xAtLwGMxoDB2
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jbnv

I-10 eastbound approaching the Baton Rouge Expressway is signed with the sign below. This is technically erroneous in that I-12 doesn't start for a few more miles from this point. Also, the logic for putting I-12 before I-10 is suspect. It should say "I-10 TO I-12" and in fact  earlier versions of the sign did just that.

East I-12/10 Guide Sign by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 29, 2016, 09:46:05 AM
US 475?

As a follow up, the other detour in that area lists US-20 & US-120.  It should be OH-120.

tckma

Quote from: epzik8 on September 26, 2016, 07:15:40 PM
So at lunchtime I stopped at the Sheetz off I-79 in Waynesburg. The following signs are from the first exit after Waynesburg. This is the first advance sign:

But then the one-mile warning rearranges the two routes and control points:

Then there's this sign which confirms that the two-mile sign is likely an erroneous one.

Did you also notice the 2 mile sign says US-19 TO PA-221 versus PA-221 TO US-19 on the others?  Maybe the 2 mile sign was just put up on the wrong direction of the highway?

tckma

I'll try to get a photo tomorrow -- I drove by this intersection today and noticed fresh directional signage for the non-existent MD-29 on US-29.  MDSHA for some reason loves to downgrade US-29 to a state highway.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 17, 2016, 12:01:27 PM
I think the infamous "Elimitante thru trtaffic" (?) has its origins in a plan sheet as well.

Late, but "Elimitante the truck trarffic" actually comes from the OkDOT application to AASHTO to realign US-287 through Boise City.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 12, 2016, 11:25:25 AM

Stretched Series EM, most likely. These panels have been replaced and are now in Clearview.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cappicard

I think KDOT is jumping the gun on US 50's routing.

I noticed that for some reason along 95th Street in Lenexa, US-50 is signed as if it followed I-35 north of I-435 (as opposed to following I-435 eastbound from I-35).

This goof happened during the reconstruction of the 95th/I-35 interchange into a DDI.

cappicard

I noticed that the temporary US 69 shield on the eastbound C-D ramp under Quivira Rd to US-69 has a weird font. It doesn't even look like Clearview or Helvetica.

epzik8

This one near Glen Burnie, Maryland should be Maryland Route 3 Business. Mainline Route 3 ends about five miles to the south and is disconnected from MD-3 Business.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

tckma

Quote from: epzik8 on October 24, 2016, 07:33:14 PM
This one near Glen Burnie, Maryland should be Maryland Route 3 Business. Mainline Route 3 ends about five miles to the south and is disconnected from MD-3 Business.

Since you seem to be a fellow Baltimoron...

Ever notice how Business 3 is typically signed with a "BUSINESS" banner above "MARYLAND 3," whereas Business 30 is typically signed with a green "BUSINESS 30" with "BUSINESS" replacing "MARYLAND" in the state highway shield?  Any speculation as to why that is?

jwolfer

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 13, 2016, 12:16:40 PM
US shields all around coming out of this development road into the intersection at the northern end of PA 33 near Stroudsburg.
Wasnt 611 originally a US highway?

I know this assembly is too new for that, it is interesting to unknowingly acknowledge history

LGMS428

odditude

Quote from: jwolfer on October 30, 2016, 02:55:41 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on September 13, 2016, 12:16:40 PM
US shields all around coming out of this development road into the intersection at the northern end of PA 33 near Stroudsburg.
Wasnt 611 originally a US highway?

I know this assembly is too new for that, it is interesting to unknowingly acknowledge history

LGMS428

yes, it was. there are plenty of Broad St signblades in Philly that show the US shield instead of the PA shield - pan around this intersection for an example.

mwb1848

Eastbound on US 90 (Scenic Highway) in Pensacola, Florida, near its intersection with US 90 Alternate (Nine Mile Road).

The "ALT" Banner should be below "WEST" and centered above the left US 90 shield. At this location US 90 Alternate rejoins its parent route and terminates. US 90 continues east toward Milton.

okroads

Was going through pictures from May's St. Joseph County, MI Road Meet and found this sign error on M-60 West:

DSC05054 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

M-86 East begins to the left, the intersection ahead marks the western terminus of M-86, so there is no M-86 West from this intersection.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: tckma on October 25, 2016, 11:03:01 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on October 24, 2016, 07:33:14 PM

Since you seem to be a fellow Baltimoron...

Ever notice how Business 3 is typically signed with a "BUSINESS" banner above "MARYLAND 3," whereas Business 30 is typically signed with a green "BUSINESS 30" with "BUSINESS" replacing "MARYLAND" in the state highway shield?  Any speculation as to why that is?

The former arrangement is what MDOT SHA originally used for the very, very few business routes that MD had at the time. Since then, several new bypasses have opened and the SHA has chosen to go with the latter arrangement; however, it has chosen not to replace existing signage in the field.

MD 3 Business is one of the biggest anachronisms of the state highway system in MD; it's the only floating business route in the state and has been that way for over two decades. Were it not for the looooong history of that number being assigned to that road, it would have likely been changed to a different three-digit state highway number (done for MD 5 Business in Leonardtown, MD) and potentially left unsigned entirely.

mass_citizen

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/11/22/massdot-apologizes-for-cod-cape-sign-dartmouth/bpmdTMDf96Jk7maly3BcxO/story.html?s_campaign=bdc:article:stub

:banghead:

another Mass special. although I feel like the PD could have kept it quiet and notified the DOT. especially since they were probably on paid detail when it was installed!

roadman

Quote from: mass_citizen on November 23, 2016, 12:00:30 AM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/11/22/massdot-apologizes-for-cod-cape-sign-dartmouth/bpmdTMDf96Jk7maly3BcxO/story.html?s_campaign=bdc:article:stub

:banghead:

another Mass special. although I feel like the PD could have kept it quiet and notified the DOT. especially since they were probably on paid detail when it was installed!
Agreed.  The contractor could have quietly overlaid a proper CAPE COD on the panel in the field at less time and expense than it took to remove the newly installed panel, take it back to the shop, and then eventually re-mount it.  And, while the legend was a embarrassment to the contractor and MassDOT, to suggest that somebody looking for I-195 east to Cape Cod - especially from a local road like Faunce Corner Road - would be so confused by seeing Cod Cape instead and miss the entrance makes me want to laugh out loud.

And the local media, in my opinion, has been having one too many slow news days lately.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Why would the police department have anything to do with making sure the sign had the correct wording on it? They're out there for safety...if they were out there at all.  While you don't want to hear "it's not my job", honestly, it's not their job.  They don't have any jurisdiction to tell a DOT contractor not to install a sign. 

As for it being a slow news day...it's news.  What else do you want.  40 pages of stories about murders?

74/171FAN

So heading down US 15 last night north of Leesburg, I noticed that one of those blue signs north of Lucketts that SR 662 was referred to as SR 622.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SidS1045

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2016, 12:38:10 PM
Why would the police department have anything to do with making sure the sign had the correct wording on it? They're out there for safety...if they were out there at all.  While you don't want to hear "it's not my job", honestly, it's not their job.  They don't have any jurisdiction to tell a DOT contractor not to install a sign.

Egad.  Talk about over-thinking it.  What did you think they were going to do when they saw an obvious mistake on a sign that might otherwise stand for 10 or 15 years?  Ignore it completely, just because they didn't feel like compartmentalizing their jobs to your satisfaction?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

mass_citizen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2016, 12:38:10 PM

As for it being a slow news day...it's news.  What else do you want.  40 pages of stories about murders?

well apparently they had time as well felt it was their duty to post it on social media for the world to see. As a government agency, this isn't their first rodeo and likely they would have known that it would create a good deal of public attention.

3web

Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

myosh_tino

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.