News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 29, 2016, 01:33:59 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2016, 12:07:43 PM
Yes.  DelDOT asked for AASHTO approval some years ago and received it.

In theory, with a U.S. route, isn't an Alternate toll-free route number supposed to be signed?
If that's the case; signing the old road as Business US 301 would be the logical choice.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

BrianP

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 29, 2016, 03:32:59 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 29, 2016, 01:33:59 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2016, 12:07:43 PM
Yes.  DelDOT asked for AASHTO approval some years ago and received it.

In theory, with a U.S. route, isn't an Alternate toll-free route number supposed to be signed?
If that's the case; signing the old road as Business US 301 would be the logical choice.
The problem with that is that the toll road and the old route do not go to the same place.  The old route goes to Middletown then goes north to US 40.  The new toll route goes northeast from Middletown to DE 1.  There is no free direct route that does that.  You could follow the old route to DE 896 then follow DE 896 east to US 13 for a free alternate route to be called Business 301.  The old route to US 40 should be signed something.  But what should it be signed?  Maybe it should be signed as US 301 Spur?  I'm guessing that part of the route will just be downgraded to be just DE 896/71.

Then if they ever do build the actual separate spur road they can move 301 Spur to that route. 

The Ghostbuster

I would make existing 301 a local road once the 301 toll road is completed, except for the portions where it is presently co-designated with other highways. Would such a proposal be impractical?

Alex

Quote from: BrianP on November 29, 2016, 04:25:39 PMThe problem with that is that the toll road and the old route do not go to the same place.  The old route goes to Middletown then goes north to US 40.  The new toll route goes northeast from Middletown to DE 1.  There is no free direct route that does that.  You could follow the old route to DE 896 then follow DE 896 east to US 13 for a free alternate route to be called Business 301.  The old route to US 40 should be signed something.  But what should it be signed?  Maybe it should be signed as US 301 Spur?  I'm guessing that part of the route will just be downgraded to be just DE 896/71.

Then if they ever do build the actual separate spur road they can move 301 Spur to that route.

Missouri uses Spur U.S. routes, perhaps Delaware could introduce the concept for U.S. 301? There was once also DE 141 Spur, though it was only signed on green street blades.

ixnay

Quote from: Alex on November 29, 2016, 07:00:24 PMMissouri uses Spur U.S. routes, perhaps Delaware could introduce the concept for U.S. 301? There was once also DE 141 Spur, though it was only signed on green street blades.

Where was DE 141 Spur?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Route_141 doesn't make any mention of it that I can find.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alps

Would extending 301 up DE 1 work here? Then drop it off with 13 and they can come meet US 40 together - then the existing 301 would be a 301 ALT (DE used to have that I believe), as both 301s would end at 40. (Or you could restore 301 [proposed ALT] along 40 so they end at the same point.)

(Fictional OT - or you could extend 301 beyond that point and take over US 130... going away now)

Alex

Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2016, 08:44:14 PM
Would extending 301 up DE 1 work here? Then drop it off with 13 and they can come meet US 40 together - then the existing 301 would be a 301 ALT (DE used to have that I believe), as both 301s would end at 40. (Or you could restore 301 [proposed ALT] along 40 so they end at the same point.)

(Fictional OT - or you could extend 301 beyond that point and take over US 130... going away now)

It was signed as US 301 Truck and was prominently posted at the US 13/40 split previously. I can easily see your proposal implemented by DelDOT.

Quote from: ixnay on November 29, 2016, 08:02:58 PM
Quote from: Alex on November 29, 2016, 07:00:24 PMMissouri uses Spur U.S. routes, perhaps Delaware could introduce the concept for U.S. 301? There was once also DE 141 Spur, though it was only signed on green street blades.

Where was DE 141 Spur?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Route_141 doesn't make any mention of it that I can find.

ixnay

Wiki ain't everything. ;) DE 141 Spur was the formal name given to the new alignment of DE 141 turning the route southeast from Powder Mill Road to US 202 as part of the Blue Ball Projects. It was eventually shielded as the DE 141 mainline with Powder Mill Road denumbered. I may have a photo of a SR 141 street blade in my archives.

Alex4897

If we're talking renumberings, wouldn't it make more sense to route DE 896 down Summit Bridge Road, then following the current US 301 alignment until it hits DE 299 / 15 / Levels Road?  That way you have the entire "Business US 301" corridor and the corridor connecting it to Glasgow and Newark signed with one consistent number.  Trying to sign a free alternative bannered US 301 route would be a little difficult when trying to tie the southern end back into the mainline as the Levels Road interchange is north of the proposed mainline tollbooth.
👉😎👉

ixnay

Alex from Tampa, your mention of DE 141 Spur left me with the impression that it was signed in the '70s or maybe '60s, down in the Prices Corner area.

BTW where did you get that map?  It appears to be linked when I mouse over it but I can't get the link to work.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Mapmikey

froggie

Quote from: ixnayBTW where did you get that map?  It appears to be linked when I mouse over it but I can't get the link to work.

It's a map Alex made himself.  I recognize his cartography...

Alex

Quote from: ixnay on November 30, 2016, 06:57:24 AM
Alex from Tampa, your mention of DE 141 Spur left me with the impression that it was signed in the '70s or maybe '60s, down in the Prices Corner area.

BTW where did you get that map?  It appears to be linked when I mouse over it but I can't get the link to work.

ixnay

I grew up in Newark/Wilmington and return to visit family every so often, so I keep up with Delaware roads.
Made that map in 2007 when I was learning how to use Adobe Illustrator. It is out of date given the ramps at I-95 and US 202 changed. You can find a larger version on our Blue Ball feature page. The spur route replaced a portion of old and narrow Rockland Road, which previously tied into US 202 directly.

Will be driving up to Delaware in a few weeks and plan on checking out progress on the US 301 toll road. If anyone missed it, Lou posted some photos of it on the NERoads Facebook group last week.

Alex

jwolfer

Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2016, 08:44:14 PM

Yay on the fiction eliminate 130 replace with 301...

I was always disappointed how 301 in Maryland just sort of faded to a variable web of 2 lane optional pseudo alignments once you crossed into Delaware

LGMS428

Alex

Alex4897, Ian and I checked out progress of construction for new US 301 earlier this week. I posted 15 photos to the AARoads FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/posts/10154927083657948

02 Park Ave

Does anyone have any reports on how this project has progressed since Alex posted his photographs?
C-o-H

ARMOURERERIC

Made the effort to look at Google satelite view the other day, do not know how recent it was, but it was pretty detailed.

Alex4897

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 16, 2017, 10:15:49 PM
Made the effort to look at Google satelite view the other day, do not know how recent it was, but it was pretty detailed.

Google Earth pegs the imagery date at around the beginning of April IIRC.
👉😎👉

Mergingtraffic

What's the completion date?  I can't find it on their site.

Did today's earthquake affect construction at all?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 30, 2017, 07:01:08 PM
What's the completion date?  I can't find it on their site.

Did today's earthquake affect construction at all?

2018, and no.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2015, 07:18:42 AM
Quote from: TheOneKEAThis project is definitely going to make a big difference in the usage of US 301 as a bypass of I-95.

Until those using it as such hit the hell that is the Bay Bridge, especially on summer weekends...

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 11, 2015, 10:05:14 AM
Last summer I used US-301 North on a Sunday morning as an I-95 bypass. The Bay Bridge and 50/301 freeway was busy, but moving without a problem.

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2015, 10:29:41 AM
You weren't heading west.  Or after about 10am.

Once completed, I would expect this to lengthen the delay times at the Bay Bridge.

There's no logical reason for a backup heading west. The bridge is three lanes westbound, the same as the freeway prior to it, and you don't have to stop to pay toll going west.

The real headache for people using US 301 as an alternative to I-95, if you ask me, is the mess through Waldorf and La Plata.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkinsThere's no logical reason for a backup heading west. The bridge is three lanes westbound, the same as the freeway prior to it, and you don't have to stop to pay toll going west.

Even with 3 lanes and no toll, it will still bottleneck for the returning-home-from-summer-weekend traffic.

Mr_Northside

Though sometimes during the summer, it has a contraflow lane (so only 2 WB)
Even when it's not peak vacation times, it's 3 lanes with NO shoulders to speak of, and it can be a very intimidating bridge for some people (and there is a low speed limit), so if there is a decent amount of traffic, it could still backup a little.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

yakra

I wonder whether the spur road will become new DE15, with the old route becoming either DE15 or such, or unnumbered roads.

Speaking of the spur road, the interchange they have planned for its north end leaves me scratching my head. It's over-built and under-functional.
- At the south end, the directional split has a yecchy left entrance. I'd expect that the spur hwy would carry more traffic here.
- At the north end, the main thru movements are for 71/896 (and existing 301). Again, I'd expect this to be the other way around.
- Local road accessibility: Right now, traffic can move between DE15 to the west and 301/71/896 to the east. The planned interchange cuts this connection off, needlessly IMO. If someone coming from the DE286 corridor wants to access the Summit Bridge or Airmont Acres communities, ...yeah. Have fun. Why not just...
  - Connect the spur road directly into 301/71/896 to the north. A thru freeway.
  - Connect DE15 directly into 301/71/896 to the east. A thru local road.
  - Parclo interchange, with roundabouts at ramp termini.
  - Tie the northeast segment of Bethel Church Rd into the eastern roundabout, thereby retaining, and improving, a connection that can now only be made in one direction (Bethel Church SW -> 301&c N).
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

MASTERNC

According to DelDOT, one of the sections is nearing completion, ahead of schedule.

https://www.deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=6948

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.