News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 11, 2015, 11:21:40 AM

(Now, I have heard the Aldi commercials on the radio and I have heard from other people that they have very good prices, but their nearest store to us is a hassle to reach. The nuisance of going there would outweigh the savings unless I were saving $20 a week or more, which I think is quite unlikely to happen.)

Don't underestimate how good Aldi can be on the wallet.  I find it very difficult to spend a lot of money when I go there...

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 11, 2015, 03:51:17 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 11, 2015, 11:21:40 AM

(Now, I have heard the Aldi commercials on the radio and I have heard from other people that they have very good prices, but their nearest store to us is a hassle to reach. The nuisance of going there would outweigh the savings unless I were saving $20 a week or more, which I think is quite unlikely to happen.)

Don't underestimate how good Aldi can be on the wallet.  I find it very difficult to spend a lot of money when I go there...

Perhaps, but you also have to factor in the time spent/wasted driving to and from the store along with the cost savings. The one nearest us is the one on Route 1 between Martha Street and Russell Road near where the old Multiplex Cinemas used to be. It's about the least convenient possible location along that segment of Route 1 because I'd have to go so far out of my way to get there, either via the new Jeff Todd Way or via Lockheed Boulevard. It'd probably wind up taking 50 minutes to an hour roundtrip to go there. If I'm going to spend that amount of time driving somewhere for groceries, it needs to be a real super-duper place to go unless I have some other reason for making the trip (example, there is an outstanding seafood store in Potomac Village over in Montgomery County, but it's simply too far to go just for seafood unless I'm coming back from Rockville and I can just detour down Falls Road).

Quote from: english si on February 11, 2015, 01:37:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 11, 2015, 11:21:40 AM"Explain this to me. You're putting all your groceries loose in a cart so that you can go to the checkout and unload your cart so that a store employee can re-arrange all your groceries for you and then put them back in the cart. I think THAT seems pretty stupid."
The only stupid thing there is having a store employee do it! ....

See, with the thing I use, I bag the groceries as I go and I adjust the arrangement as needed. It's already all done by the time I reach the checkout. Once the item is in the cart, it doesn't come back out until I reach the car and move the bags into the trunk (unless I remove an item to rearrange things or because I change my mind on buying it). Back when I was in junior high and high school my mom used to shop at a store where you had to pack your own groceries ("pack" denoting they charged you 3¢ per bag, and since reusable bags were not around yet, my mom brought cardboard boxes with her). I often went along and packed everything for her, so I got quite good at fitting everything into the two boxes she used and I guess packing the bags as I go still comes naturally to me 30 years later.

I might not have told the woman she was being stupid had she not used that word to describe what I was doing. But it doesn't make sense to me not to use the little Scan-It thing when it's available because it simply doesn't make sense to me to unload the cart at the checkout if there is an alternative available. (Of course most stores don't offer this system....drives me crazy when I need to grocery-shop at a store that doesn't, but thankfully that's not often.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

I compulsively shake my gearshift while in neutral, as if this is going to keep it loose or something.

kphoger

Total gear shift shaker here too! Back when I had a stick shift, that is.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Me too, moving the gearshift back and forth in neutral.  It's a habitual way of making sure the shift is in neutral.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kj3400 on February 11, 2015, 04:12:38 AM
While I can't sleep with anything that emits light (TVs, computers, lamps), I also can't sleep without some sort of ambient noise, so I usually sleep with a fan on, even in winter. I also can't sleep without covers, even in the summer.

I am exactly the same way. I was waiting and waiting for you to say something that I don't do, but there isn't. I need the blanets and the dark. When I travel, I keep a couple of clothes pins and some electrical tape with me to keep as much light as possible out.

Past that, I am the sort of person who almost never lets the gas tank get under half a tank. It usually happens at the beginning of long road trips so I can get a better price on gas than the urban area where I live. It's also happening right now. I haven't bought gas since December 23, and I want to see how long I can go. (It's amazing how rarely you drive in the winter when your car has no heat.)
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

corco

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 11, 2015, 05:45:03 PM
I compulsively shake my gearshift while in neutral, as if this is going to keep it loose or something.

Yeah I do that too, not sure why.

golden eagle

Another strange habit I have is when eating a burger, all the trimmings must be between the meat and top bun. It's fine if ketchup is on the bottom bun, but the cheese, lettuce and all the other stuff must be on top.

Brian556

1. I won't go in the garage after showering, because it's dirty.
2. I trim my fingernails and toenails really short with Swiss army knife scissors
3. I prefer to urinate outdoors. This is because there is no splash back when you use the grass, vs accidentally hitting a toilet seat. It just seems right.
4. I grunt when taking a dump. My mother gets pissed at me for this, though it seems totally natural, and it's hard to avoid.
5. I cannot stand driving a vehicle without blind spot mirrors.
6. I won't go anywhere without all the supplies that I could possibly need.
7. I prefer TV shows geared toward younger people, inc some Disney Channel Shows. I dislike deep, dark murder drama crap that most adults like.
8. I rarely watch movies.
9. Even as a teenager, I mostly listened to Adult Contemporary Stations.

hbelkins

I have a very low tolerance for stupidity and ignorance, and it gets less and less every day. Also  for superstitions. I don't believe in saying "bless you" after someone sneezes, throwing salt over my shoulder when I spill it, not closing a knife someone else has opened, going out the same door you came in, not whistling after dark or any number of other what I call "stupid-stitions."

Those may more properly be classified as pet peeves than strange habits, though.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: corco on February 11, 2015, 07:20:34 PM

I do that as well, but I do it to make sure the car is fully out of gear. One of my cars has stalled when I thought it was in neutral but was still slightly in gear. Hasn't happened since I started doing that.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Takumi on February 11, 2015, 08:30:31 PM

I do that as well, but I do it to make sure the car is fully out of gear. One of my cars has stalled when I thought it was in neutral but was still slightly in gear. Hasn't happened since I started doing that.
I do that too, for the same reason.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Takumi on February 11, 2015, 08:30:31 PM

I guess that's why, but I do it beyond that.

vtk

When I set an alarm, I always set it for x:x6, or sometimes x:x1 if I need finer control.  Part of the reason is because my favorite NASCAR driver growing up was Mark Martin, in the #6 car.  I have no idea what the rest of the reason is.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

I actually set my alarm for non-00 or -05 minutes because I find myself less likely to fall back asleep that way. I guess I feel less like I have a handle on just how much time I can waste before getting out of bed.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I do that when I come to a stop, but I no longer sit there doing it while I wait for the light to turn.

In college a female friend asked why I shook the gearshift so much. I told her it was because I like to play with my stick in traffic.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 11, 2015, 08:25:39 PM
I have a very low tolerance for stupidity and ignorance, and it gets less and less every day. Also  for superstitions. I don't believe in saying "bless you" after someone sneezes, throwing salt over my shoulder when I spill it, not closing a knife someone else has opened, going out the same door you came in, not whistling after dark or any number of other what I call "stupid-stitions."

Those may more properly be classified as pet peeves than strange habits, though.

People aren't superstitious, they just have well-honed senses for what's lucky and unlucky. :bigass:

Regarding the alarm clock, we've tried setting it ten minutes earlier than we need to get up because we have such a hard time getting up in the morning. Hasn't helped at all. Setting the clock ten minutes fast didn't work either–we knew it was fast and we ignored it and went back to sleep.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Whenever I sleep, I need one pillow that's oriented normally and another that's rotated 90 degrees that I like to hug and cuddle with.  This is essential for sleeping.  I'm also the type of person that needs blankets to sleep (actually, I prefer to have at least one blanket on everywhere, no matter the weather; guess I never grew up in that respect).  I also like to have the fan on even in winter; the quiet is unnerving and random noises distracting without it.

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 11, 2015, 10:41:42 PM
In college a female friend asked why I shook the gearshift so much. I told her it was because I like to play with my stick in traffic.
Perfect response!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 11, 2015, 10:41:42 PM
Regarding the alarm clock, we've tried setting it ten minutes earlier than we need to get up because we have such a hard time getting up in the morning. Hasn't helped at all. Setting the clock ten minutes fast didn't work either–we knew it was fast and we ignored it and went back to sleep.

My just-awake mind has about 2k of memory, most of it used to store whatever alarm scheme I set the night before to confuse it, therefore enabling it to override said attempt.

The only thing that works is going to bed earlier, and I don't like doing that.

Duke87

Ever since reading this comic I rarely put something in the microwave for a nice round amount of time, and make a point of trying to use all the buttons regularly. I think I reheated pasta last night for 81 seconds.

I have hangers that are all sorts of colors and I try to match color of hanger to color of shirt as best I can.

When I eat food I insist on doing so in a quantity that is an even fraction of the size of the package, since I hate pulling some from an old package but then having to open a new one in the same sitting.
Costco's bags of precooked bacon contain 50 slices so I always eat 5 slices at a time. If my girlfriend eats 3 I will eat 7 to compensate because I have to keep it even.
I always eat 4 eggo waffles at a time (because my toaster has 4 slots), and buy the boxes of 24 instead of the boxes of 10 because 4 does not go into 10. If I am forced to buy a box of 10 because the store lacks boxes of 24, I will buy 2 boxes of 10 because at least 4 goes into 20.
When it comes to stuff that's more measure than count I eyeball it and stuff myself as necessary. If I'm eating potato chips and I find myself getting close to the bottom of the bag, I will never leave it near empty, I will keep eating chips until I finish the bag off.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

The numbers I punch into the microwave appear random to the uninitiated eye, but really I just try to keep the buttons close together. I'm much more likely to zap for 41 seconds than 40 seconds because the 1 is directly above the 4. Earlier today, I reheated a mug of tea for 71 seconds. After hitting Start, I was kicking myself because I realized I wouldn't have had to skip over any buttons if only I had entered it as 1:11 instead. Wow, this sure sounds really weird when I explain it in text.
Male pronouns, please.

jwolfer

Quote from: Brian556 on February 11, 2015, 08:00:15 PM
1. I won't go in the garage after showering, because it's dirty.
2. I trim my fingernails and toenails really short with Swiss army knife scissors
3. I prefer to urinate outdoors. This is because there is no splash back when you use the grass, vs accidentally hitting a toilet seat. It just seems right.
4. I grunt when taking a dump. My mother gets pissed at me for this, though it seems totally natural, and it's hard to avoid.
5. I cannot stand driving a vehicle without blind spot mirrors.
6. I won't go anywhere without all the supplies that I could possibly need.
7. I prefer TV shows geared toward younger people, inc some Disney Channel Shows. I dislike deep, dark murder drama crap that most adults like.
8. I rarely watch movies.
9. Even as a teenager, I mostly listened to Adult Contemporary Stations.
I prefer to piss outside. My ex-wife would get upset with me and then was really mad when my 2 and a half year old daughter stood outside to pee because "that's what daddy does"

But I'll even piss outside at work if no patients are in parking lot. Although I don't have much modesty, thanks to 8 years of football, I do not want to get arrested for public indecency

I think is part of being a man wanting to piss outside, marking our territory.

Roadrunner75

This seems appropriate for the thread.

vtk

I have to have blankets to sleep.  I think I would enjoy having a lead smock to sleep under, like what they shield you with at the dentist when they take X-rays.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

Man, I must need a lesson in peeing outside, because it always seems to splash off the grass blades onto my shoes. FWIW, I usually pee sitting down: splash problem solved.

I sleep in the nude almost every night, only putting on a tank top if the temp is cold enough that 620 blankets aren't enough. I haven't worn bottoms to bed in something like nine or ten years. Oh, and I've NEVER been able to stand wearing socks to bed; that feels SO unnatural.
Male pronouns, please.

Pete from Boston

I use one number on the microwave at a pop: :33, 2:22, :66, etc.  This is a habit I call laziness.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.