News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What does your AM radio look like at night

Started by dvferyance, October 15, 2018, 08:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: dvferyance on November 15, 2018, 07:39:40 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 03, 2018, 11:24:03 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2018, 01:58:45 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 01, 2018, 11:17:08 PM
I checked a few other stations WGN, WBBM, WCCO, WLW and WSB were all coming in very strong.

I once picked up WBBM while driving in Denver.  Pretty wild to hear a traffic report from a thousand miles away.
That's crazy. I don't think I've ever been able to pull in KOA in this part of the country. I pulled in WBAP the other night and thought that was a pretty good dx.

Out of Chicago's blowtorches WGN and WBBM are the strongest in my area.
I have picked up KOA a few times around the Chicago/Milwaukee area. My guess is though that is about as far east as it goes.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm a little too far east for KOA that would be a great pickup if I ever did get it to come in. I'm about 1,100 miles from the transmitter site so it's a little far. The night I was pulling in WBAP the conditions for skip were very good and just about every 50,000 watt station in between was coming in pretty strong that night. WBAP's transmitter is about 1,000 miles away.

I'll try for KOA again in the future when the skip is rolling good. I don't think I have any interference on 850 so if I do hear anything I'd assume it's KOA. There is a station on 850 in the Muskegon area but I'm far enough away from Muskegon that it wouldn't interfere.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 15, 2018, 07:53:58 PM
I checked a few other stations WGN, WBBM, WCCO, WLW and WSB were all coming in very strong.

I once picked up WBBM while driving in Denver.  Pretty wild to hear a traffic report from a thousand miles away.
That's crazy. I don't think I've ever been able to pull in KOA in this part of the country. I pulled in WBAP the other night and thought that was a pretty good dx.

I have picked up KOA a few times around the Chicago/Milwaukee area. My guess is though that is about as far east as it goes.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm a little too far east for KOA that would be a great pickup if I ever did get it to come in. I'm about 1,100 miles from the transmitter site so it's a little far. The night I was pulling in WBAP the conditions for skip were very good and just about every 50,000 watt station in between was coming in pretty strong that night. WBAP's transmitter is about 1,000 miles away.

I'll try for KOA again in the future when the skip is rolling good. I don't think I have any interference on 850 so if I do hear anything I'd assume it's KOA. There is a station on 850 in the Muskegon area but I'm far enough away from Muskegon that it wouldn't interfere.
I don't do much on AM, but I've pulled in KOA in Manistee, MI in the past

Flint1979

Add 870 to my list. WWL in New Orleans.

Flint1979

Well I just wanted to say that I just pulled KOA in here in Saginaw, Michigan.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on November 16, 2018, 09:53:03 AM

I don't do much on AM, but I've pulled in KOA in Manistee, MI in the past
I pulled it in the other night in Saginaw.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.