News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Defacing" money by drawing a bubble on it

Started by bandit957, January 30, 2020, 11:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Here in the United States, paper money always features a portrait of a historic figure, usually a President.

Some years back, I thought it would be really funny if I took all the dollar bills in my wallet and drew a bubble on George Washington, to make it appear as if ol' George was blowing a bubble with bubble gum. I wonder if bubble gum would have gunked up his wooden dentures.

I also wonder if "defacing" money like this would be considered a federal crime. I thought it was just innocent humor, but federal prosecutors might have seen it differently.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Alps

You're going to pound-me-in-the-ass prison now.

Big John

What I see is that defacing paper currency to change its value is a federal crime.  I don't see what you describe as a crime.

Scott5114

Where's George? is a website where people track the movement of currency by serial number. As a result of that, they often mark the URL of the website on bills they are tracking to get people to update the location. There have been some folks over there that have looked into the legality of marking on paper money. Turns out the way the law is worded, for it to be a crime, defacement has to be done with intent to render the bill unissuable. So running a bill through a paper shredder would be illegal. Making George blow a bubble is just fine if you intend for the bill to continue circulating like that.

It'd be pretty hard to prove who originally marked a bill unless there was a credible witness anyway or you confessed to it. Even the Where's George people have never been bothered by the government, and the site has a database that contains who originally entered the bill (and thus probably wrote on it).

I will occasionally mark out the signature of a particular Treasury official that I don't care for, as a political statement. I try to limit this only to bills that are worn enough they likely wouldn't work in a bill acceptor anyway, so as to avoid reducing the utility of the bill for people that have it after me.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 31, 2020, 12:32:28 AM
Where's George? is a website where people track the movement of currency by serial number. As a result of that, they often mark the URL of the website on bills they are tracking to get people to update the location. There have been some folks over there that have looked into the legality of marking on paper money. Turns out the way the law is worded, for it to be a crime, defacement has to be done with intent to render the bill unissuable. So running a bill through a paper shredder would be illegal. Making George blow a bubble is just fine if you intend for the bill to continue circulating like that.

It'd be pretty hard to prove who originally marked a bill unless there was a credible witness anyway or you confessed to it. Even the Where's George people have never been bothered by the government, and the site has a database that contains who originally entered the bill (and thus probably wrote on it).

I will occasionally mark out the signature of a particular Treasury official that I don't care for, as a political statement. I try to limit this only to bills that are worn enough they likely wouldn't work in a bill acceptor anyway, so as to avoid reducing the utility of the bill for people that have it after me.
The Where's Georgians should all be rounded up and executed.

GenExpwy

Quote from: bandit957 on January 30, 2020, 11:53:30 PM
his wooden dentures.

Ivory, actually. He was one of the wealthiest people in America, so he could afford the best dentures.

(Minor thing that bothers me.)

kevinb1994

Quote from: GenExpwy on January 31, 2020, 03:23:29 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 30, 2020, 11:53:30 PM
his wooden dentures.

Ivory, actually. He was one of the wealthiest people in America, so he could afford the best dentures.

(Minor thing that bothers me.)
Now that sounds like quite the soap opera! Lol

Rothman

At one point, Where's George was discouraging stamps.  Participation died out years ago from what it once was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

You never see people drawing bubbles on dollar coins.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 31, 2020, 07:41:37 AM
You never see people drawing bubbles on dollar coins.

I draw bubbles around dollar coins.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

This issue came up recently in Boston, where a local church in the Roxbury section of the city has been stamping the face of Harriet Tubman over Andrew Jackson's image on $20 bills.  Because the ink is water soluble, the stamp does not render the bills unfit for use.  So it's OK per Treasury Department rules regarding defacement of currency.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

You never see dollar coins.

Perhaps not literally true (I have some sitting around), but probably true as a practical matter for most people.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2020, 11:39:57 AM
You never see dollar coins.

Perhaps not literally true (I have some sitting around), but probably true as a practical matter for most people.

That was a bad selective creation of my comment.

PHLBOS

The only defacing of a currency portrait I saw was way back in the 70s or 80s on a $1 bill.  Somebody drew a pair of sunglasses on George Washington's face.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bandit957

I remember people drawing a speech balloon coming out of George Washington's mouth saying, "I GREW HEMP."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

oscar

This issue came up in Canada, when some Star Trek fans took to "Spocking" $5 bills in honor of the late Leonard Nimoy. altering the face of a former prime minister to look like Mr. Spock:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/spocking-money-legal-inappropriate-bank-canada/story?id=29381790

The Bank of Canada said the alterations were not illegal, but also not a good idea.

BTW, I looked for Spocked bills on several visits to Canada, but found none in circulation. My guess is that any such bills reaching a bank were removed from circulation and sent in for destruction. This all happened after my visit to Vulcan, Alberta ("Star Trek Capital of Canada"), which would've been a logical place to look if I'd had time for a re-visit when I was in the area in summer 2016.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

webny99

"Defacing"?

I see money with some sort of writing on it semi-regularly, and think nothing of it. It doesn't usually make it unusable.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on January 31, 2020, 05:17:32 PM
"Defacing"?

I see money with some sort of writing on it semi-regularly, and think nothing of it. It doesn't usually make it unusable.

Vending machines might not accept it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US71

In Canada, people are defacing C $5 bills to look like Mr Spock from Star Trek.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

oscar

Quote from: US71 on February 01, 2020, 06:17:02 PM
In Canada, people are defacing C $5 bills to look like Mr Spock from Star Trek.

See my post three up from yours for link and details.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.