Not all vinyl records are actually vinyl

Started by bandit957, March 02, 2020, 05:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Did you know that not all vinyl records are really vinyl? Some are actually polystyrene. This is especially true of 45's in the 1970s and 1980s. Sometimes you can tell because the sound quality isn't as good on styrene records. Unless you play them with just the right needle, the sound can get sort of scratchy or distorted after only a few plays. Columbia and A&M were among the labels that generally used styrene for 45's.

This problem usually afflicts 45's, not albums. That's because the offending labels thought 45's were just toys that would just get stepped on and broken after 2 or 3 plays so nobody would notice the difference.

Some turntables came with needles that would really tear up styrene records. The right needle won't do any premature damage. But some manufacturers used the wrong kind of needle just out of malice. I had a Panasonic stereo that had this type of needle, and I think it was damaging styrene records.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

nexus73

78's were made from shellac.  That is some heavy stuff!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ErmineNotyours

The worst part of polystyrene records is that the label is glued on after the record is injected molded.  (Vinyl records have the label pushed into the vinyl.)  Soon moisture gets attracted to the label.  It puffs up and looks awful.

ErmineNotyours

For that matter, CBS had the worst failure rates of cassettes from the early 80s, hands down.  Figures, because they were also the label of Loverboy and Journey.  The tapes and singles were designed to be listened to a few times and forgotten, like a cereal box record.

bandit957

I noticed that records by the Police always seemed to be on bad vinyl. I noticed this on a radio station I listened to, on a college station I was on, and in a box of records I rescued. The Police were on A&M at the time of those records.

Kenny Loggins seemed to be on bad vinyl a lot. He was on Columbia.

US 81

Tangentially: there was a time in the - ahem, 60's & 70's - when disposable records were produced: enclosed in magazines, molded into cereal boxes or toy packaging, etc.

I've got to admit that little kid me was frustrated that they didn't last very long at all.

bandit957

Quote from: US 81 on March 03, 2020, 11:03:11 AM
Tangentially: there was a time in the - ahem, 60's & 70's - when disposable records were produced: enclosed in magazines, molded into cereal boxes or toy packaging, etc.

I've got to admit that little kid me was frustrated that they didn't last very long at all.

I remember these. They still had these in the '80s.

I left a cardboard record from a Froot Loops box in a hotel room as a prank once. I wrote on it "PLACED BY THE GIDEONS" and put it next to the Bible in the drawer.

I remember Time magazine including these little records that had samples of classical music. One day, we noticed there was a hole torn right in the playing surface, and we all got in a big argument over who caused it.

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on March 03, 2020, 10:49:55 AM
I noticed that records by the Police always seemed to be on bad vinyl. I noticed this on a radio station I listened to, on a college station I was on, and in a box of records I rescued. The Police were on A&M at the time of those records.

I guess they made up for it by making 'Synchronicity' by the Police the first album to be mastered onto CD to be sold in the USA (though manufactured in Japan). Still A&M but Sony made the CD.

kevinb1994

Quote from: SectorZ on March 03, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

I guess they made up for it by making 'Synchronicity' by the Police the first album to be mastered onto CD to be sold in the USA (though manufactured in Japan). Still A&M but Sony made the CD.
I thought that honor went to Hall and Oates' Greatest Hits CD that same year.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 03, 2020, 06:09:25 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 03, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

I thought that honor went to Hall and Oates' Greatest Hits CD that same year.

And I heard Billy Joel's 52nd Street, several years old at that point, was the first non-classical CD to roll off the Sony Japan manufacturing line.  CBS's execs repeatedly played "Honesty" trying to determine if they should go for this compact disc thing.

I remember when I was very young an Archies song from the back of a cereal box that my dad played a few times on his higher quality turntable.  It seemed he only played it a few times and then stopped, because he doesn't love me.  Actually, I later found out it was because those cereal records on a very thin layer of plastic over cardboard don't last very long.  Who knew?  Also, I read a comprehensive book on bubblegum music collected from music magazines, and I discovered the entire Archies catalog is available on Freegal from the library, so I'll finally get to have that song anyway.

Later I was able to get a Muppets Take Manhattan DVD included inside a box of cereal.  Time marches on.

bugo

My dad has an old crank up record player, and the records are made of "glass". I don't know if it's really glass but it is far more brittle and heavier than vinyl.

SidS1045

Most 78rpm records were made of shellac.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

When I was 4 or 5, I had some children's 45s that were made from hard plastic, and were about a quarter inch thick.  Unlike most records of this ilk, they were meant to be played (and did play) on a standard record player.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

GCrites

Huh, yeah, my copy of Synchronicity just didn't clean up well and sounds dirty despite having little in the way of visble scratches.

capt.ron

Quote from: bandit957 on March 02, 2020, 05:00:48 PM
Did you know that not all vinyl records are really vinyl? Some are actually polystyrene. This is especially true of 45's in the 1970s and 1980s. Sometimes you can tell because the sound quality isn't as good on styrene records. Unless you play them with just the right needle, the sound can get sort of scratchy or distorted after only a few plays. Columbia and A&M were among the labels that generally used styrene for 45's.

This problem usually afflicts 45's, not albums. That's because the offending labels thought 45's were just toys that would just get stepped on and broken after 2 or 3 plays so nobody would notice the difference.

Some turntables came with needles that would really tear up styrene records. The right needle won't do any premature damage. But some manufacturers used the wrong kind of needle just out of malice. I had a Panasonic stereo that had this type of needle, and I think it was damaging styrene records.
If you play polystyrene 45's with a microline or shibata stylus, you're asking for trouble. Styrene 45's are best played with a good conical stylus, or maybe a mild elliptical.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 11, 2020, 09:47:24 AM
Most 78rpm records were made of shellac.

They would have held up better if they had been made of glass.  Those shellac records would break if you did little more than look at them.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: roadman on March 11, 2020, 12:55:51 PM
When I was 4 or 5, I had some children's 45s that were made from hard plastic, and were about a quarter inch thick.  Unlike most records of this ilk, they were meant to be played (and did play) on a standard record player.

I remember those, as well as 5 inch 78s made of yellow plastic that lasted about a minute and a half per side.  The ones I had were made in the mid 1950s thru the early '60s, when I was young enough to appreciate them.  I don't think they were a full quarter-inch thick, but they were thicker than the standard 45s of the era.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

bandit957

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 13, 2020, 07:46:21 PM
I remember those, as well as 5 inch 78s made of yellow plastic that lasted about a minute and a half per side.  The ones I had were made in the mid 1950s thru the early '60s, when I was young enough to appreciate them.  I don't think they were a full quarter-inch thick, but they were thicker than the standard 45s of the era.

I have one of the old yellow ones from the 1950s. I don't know where I got it, but we've had it for as long as I can remember. I don't have a 78 RPM player though.

roadman65

I remember the older records if you dropped them, they would shatter like glass.  My dad said they were composed of schalack especially those 78 rpm records of the 1940 era.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.