News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Windshield Repair

Started by yand, March 05, 2020, 02:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yand

So maybe due to age/ road dust (???), my windshield is littered with tiny spots that annoyingly reflect external lights at night/facing the sun etc.
These spots do not go away from cleaning with cloth and windshield cleaner. In terms of options to address this condition, is there some sort of polish I can use or do I have to replace it?
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

corco

You have a sand blasted windshield- this happens over time. There are ways to fix it yourself but they require a good amount of skill and paying somebody won't be much cheaper than just getting a new windshield. You can also just put up with it.

jeffandnicole

Depending on the age of the car and the type of windshield it needs, a brand new windshield may only cost $150 - $200.  Personally I find Safelite a little pricey, and instead have used a local windshield replacement company.  Best of all they come to your house or work and replace it in about an hour.

Considering the price, and figuring there's no work needed on your park, it's something to consider!

yand

Thanks for the replies, I've been trying to find the word that describes this condition. I'll replace the windshield when I get a chance  :bigass:
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

hbelkins

I wonder if the headlight polish items would work on a windshield?

A poor man's headlight polish is toothpaste. I've never tried it, though.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Headlight polish won't work.  Two different materials and issues.  The clear plastic in headlights yellows or whitens over time.  The polish (it really isn't a polish) remove a microscopic surface layer to expose the still clear levels underneath.  The windshield, which is glass, really is "sandblasted" .  Tiny crater marks from dust and sand.  This happens over time depending on where you live.  The tiny craters refract the light and cut visability. 

Where there are some chemicals to work on this, I'm in the camp of just replacing the windshield.  In some states, if a windshield gets to a certain level, the glass policy part of your insurance will replace it for free.  And, while I don't advocate illegal activities such as insurance fraud, the neighbor kid's baseball might be persuaded to find its way over your fence.

yand

Quote from: SP Cook on March 06, 2020, 01:29:06 PM
Where there are some chemicals to work on this, I'm in the camp of just replacing the windshield.  In some states, if a windshield gets to a certain level, the glass policy part of your insurance will replace it for free.  And, while I don't advocate illegal activities such as insurance fraud, the neighbor kid's baseball might be persuaded to find its way over your fence.

I, unfortunately, will not have the opportunity to make such a legitimate insurance claim. 15,000 miles ago my car got smooched by an SUV and was totaled. Their insurance company let me keep it for Payout minus $100. My insurance company promptly removed comprehensive coverage from my policy so I will be paying out of pocket.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2020, 12:36:05 PMI wonder if the headlight polish items would work on a windshield?

Headlamp lens polish doesn't work well even on headlights, because it merely exposes a new layer to yellow up and fog with UV.  The strategy that does work is to remove the fogged layer and then use fine-grit sandpaper to rough the surface up enough to take spray-on clearcoat, which blocks UV.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

The best bet to fix a heavily pitted windshield is to replace it.  I"˜ll second that it is pretty cost effective to do it yourself but that takes some knowhow, time, and a little bit of experience most people don't have. 

hbelkins

Quote from: yand on March 06, 2020, 02:08:33 PM

I, unfortunately, will not have the opportunity to make such a legitimate insurance claim. 15,000 miles ago my car got smooched by an SUV and was totaled. Their insurance company let me keep it for Payout minus $100. My insurance company promptly removed comprehensive coverage from my policy so I will be paying out of pocket.

At which point I probably would have gone shopping for another insurance company.

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2020, 08:17:46 PM
Quote from: yand on March 06, 2020, 02:08:33 PM

At which point I probably would have gone shopping for another insurance company.

Insurers as a rule aren't allowing collision and comp coverage on a salvage vehicle, or even a vehicle totaled out by another insurer if you've still got a clean title. There are a multitude of reasons, but if you have it re-inspected after repairs they may allow full coverage. I know if I was an insurer I sure as hell wouldn't want to cover it anymore.

J N Winkler

Quote from: SectorZ on March 08, 2020, 06:31:02 PMInsurers as a rule aren't allowing collision and comp coverage on a salvage vehicle, or even a vehicle totaled out by another insurer if you've still got a clean title. There are a multitude of reasons, but if you have it re-inspected after repairs they may allow full coverage. I know if I was an insurer I sure as hell wouldn't want to cover it anymore.

My understanding is that in the aftermath of Katrina, which resulted in many flooded vehicles on new-car dealers' lots being sold without disclosure of the damage, states began requiring insurers to notify licensing agencies whenever they totaled a car so that its title could be pulled out of clean status.  The customer still has the option of keeping the vehicle, but it has to be inspected and re-titled as rebuilt salvage with an "orange badge of shame" on the driver's door sill.

I went through this process with my current daily driver, which was totaled in 2012 as a result of hail damage.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jp the roadgeek

Many states have full glass coverage with comp (I know CT, NY, CO, AZ, and SC do, and FL has it for just the windshield), which means the deductible for glass replacement is waived.  And 99% of the time, as long as you don't abuse the system, these type of claims don't affect your premium, eligibility, or cause you to lose any claims free discounts.  It's kind of touchy how a claim is treated if an object hits your vehicle.  If it's a flying object and it damages your windshield, you won't have to pay the deductible in a full glass state.  If the flying object hits another part of your car (the hood), it's a straight comp claim and is subject to the deductible (it may or may not affect your premium depending on the cost of the repair).  But if the object bounces and you hit it, it is treated as if you hit the object in the road and is treated as a collision claim and most likely as an at-fault incident that will either burn up your claims free discount or lead to a surcharge. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadrunner75

Windshield repair is going to get a lot more expensive for some vehicles with newer safety equipment - I've replaced a number of windshields out of pocket over the years for the relatively cheap price range referenced above.  My 2019 Forester has sensitive "Eyesight" cameras for emergency braking and lane assist that have to be recalibrated after windshield replacements.  This nearly quadrupled the cost if I recall correctly, when I got a big crack a few months after buying it new.

Duke87

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on March 08, 2020, 11:34:23 PM
Windshield repair is going to get a lot more expensive for some vehicles with newer safety equipment - I've replaced a number of windshields out of pocket over the years for the relatively cheap price range referenced above.  My 2019 Forester has sensitive "Eyesight" cameras for emergency braking and lane assist that have to be recalibrated after windshield replacements.  This nearly quadrupled the cost if I recall correctly, when I got a big crack a few months after buying it new.

Cheaper solution: cover the lenses of the nanny cameras with an opaque tape to render them inert.

Good idea to do this anyway even if they are properly calibrated.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2020, 12:36:05 PM
I wonder if the headlight polish items would work on a windshield?

A poor man's headlight polish is toothpaste. I've never tried it, though.

There's also windshield polish. Supposed strips all the crud away
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Safelite repairs, Safelite replaces.  You do realize that if you have them come to you, that you pay extra.  However, check with your insurance carrier as my replacement was free when mine got a nick in it from a stone thrown by a dump truck.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I've had a couple of windshields replaced due to rocks hitting them. The insurance company's glass company came to my workplace and did it in the parking lot.

frankenroad

Quote from: roadman65 on March 10, 2020, 11:54:06 PM
Safelite repairs, Safelite replaces.  You do realize that if you have them come to you, that you pay extra.  However, check with your insurance carrier as my replacement was free when mine got a nick in it from a stone thrown by a dump truck.

With American Family Insurance, you don't pay extra.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Not directly related to the OP, but I thought I'd share...

If you have a small pock-mark from a flying piece of gravel, you can keep it from spreading by using super glue.  Simply fill in the pock-mark with super glue and then spread it smooth with an old credit card or whatever.  I did this to my windshield about three years ago, and the tiny crack that had started to form has not grown one inch since then–even with my car being parked outside in the heat and cold 100% of the time.  I recommend doing two applications a few hours apart, just to be sure.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.