TX: Interchange Planned for US 377/ FM 1171 Intersection in Denton County

Started by Brian556, July 15, 2018, 02:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

When looking through the schematics for the upcoming widening of US 377, I was surprised to find that an interchange was planned for the FM 1171 intersection. I had not heard anything about this before. They just finished widening FM 1171 to six lanes urban, and the portion of US 377 at the FM 1171 intersection is also set up for six lane urban, and is done in concrete, which tells me that the interchange probably was not planned when the FM 1171 plans were finalized.

A major problem with the US 377 project is that no grade separation is planned at FM 407. There is a great need for one there due to heavy train traffic on the UP Choctaw Sub. There is a new siding at south Argyle, which means trains can now come within a short time of each other. Traffic already backs up horrendously at this intersection. Rail traffic will only increase in the future when the DCTA B-Train uses this rail corridor.

They also need a grade separation in Justin. TxDOT's failure to provide these is paralyzing traffic, and is severely hindering emergency response.

Schematics:
http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/sites/default/files/docs/US%20377%20Overall%20Schematic.pdf

In_Correct

There are three things I am delighted about, but I am also surprised:

1. U.S. 377 is going to be widened.

2. The road is Cement.

3. D.C.T.A. is finally going to have a second rail line.

When will this happen ... Ten years from now?!
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

dariusb

It's a new day for a new beginning.

In_Correct

Quote from: dariusb on July 17, 2018, 10:27:41 PM
377 goes through Denton right?

U.S. 377 goes through Denton County, and Denton itself. Much of U.S. 377 through Denton is actually part of U.S. 380. There are supposed to be 6 lanes of U.S. 377 in Denton County. That means the only counties left to finish is that area between Oklahoma State Highway 59 and Oklahoma State Highway 39, South Pontotoc County, Johnston County, Marshall County, and Grayson County. This is not factoring S.H. 99 into Nebraska, and the gaps in U.S. 377 south of Granbury. And I don't know when they are going to even begin construction in Denton County. It could be 50 years from now ... or perhaps Denton County is going to widen it instead of TX DOT.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Brian556

TxDOT typically widens US and state highways 30 years after the need arises

rte66man

Quote from: In_Correct on July 19, 2018, 03:15:53 AM
Quote from: dariusb on July 17, 2018, 10:27:41 PM
377 goes through Denton right?

U.S. 377 goes through Denton County, and Denton itself. Much of U.S. 377 through Denton is actually part of U.S. 380. There are supposed to be 6 lanes of U.S. 377 in Denton County. That means the only counties left to finish is that area between Oklahoma State Highway 59 and Oklahoma State Highway 39, South Pontotoc County, Johnston County, Marshall County, and Grayson County. This is not factoring S.H. 99 into Nebraska, and the gaps in U.S. 377 south of Granbury. And I don't know when they are going to even begin construction in Denton County. It could be 50 years from now ... or perhaps Denton County is going to widen it instead of TX DOT.

Not sure why you think 377 will be widened in Oklahoma.

The only plans to do any improvements between I40 and the Red River are to replace the Willis bridge over Lake Texoma.  That is assuming TxDOT will pony up their 50% cost share. I doubt 377 will be routed onto the Madill bypass when it is built (no planned southern connection).  Pontotoc County boosters would love to have it 4 laned to I-40, but the part south from Seminole to the Canadian River isn't on the 8 Year Plan.  Plus the part south from Ada to Madill doesn't have enough traffic to justify widening.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

In_Correct

I checked the 8 year plan a few months ago, and back then it had the segment between S.H. 59 West to S.H. 59 East had a "Construct New Parallel Lanes" on it.

In Johnston County, there is some type of major work planned, but that did not mean adding more lanes. The 8 Year Plan Maps do not have any specifics.

It is unlikely that The Willis Bridge will be replaced. They will continue to keep fighting with each other. Toll Bridge is obvious solution.

rte66man

Quote from: In_Correct on July 23, 2018, 07:43:39 AM
I checked the 8 year plan a few months ago, and back then it had the segment between S.H. 59 West to S.H. 59 East had a "Construct New Parallel Lanes" on it.

You are correct. Grade, Drain, and Construction is scheduled for FFY2025.

In Johnston County, there is some type of major work planned, but that did not mean adding more lanes. The 8 Year Plan Maps do not have any specifics.

I see some work north from Tishomingo scheduled for FFY2024.  I'll have to research it.

It is unlikely that The Willis Bridge will be replaced. They will continue to keep fighting with each other. Toll Bridge is obvious solution.

It is still on the schedule for this Fiscal Year. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.