News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: fmendes on May 13, 2021, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 12, 2021, 10:45:31 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 12, 2021, 01:32:23 PM
NYSTA is more liberal with 65 than NYSDOT in my experience. The entire Thruway system Upstate aside from the free section of 90, 190 through Buffalo, and the Grand Island Bridges is 65. Thruway mainline north of the Garden State Parkway is entirely 65 aside from that aforementioned free section through Buffalo. NYSDOT wouldn't post the Castleton Bridge or a few other things at 65. The Thruway through Albany probably wouldn't be 65 if it were a NYSDOT road given how speed limits are set in Region 1.

Tell me about it.  Why NYSDOT keeps the eastern portion of the LIE at 55, especially beyond Farmingville, is beyond me.
the design speed is accually 65 on the LIE but it was lowered during the oil crisis and now its kept at 55 for a margin of error
the travel speed is accually 85 on the LIE

SignBridge

Originally the speed limit was 65mph on the L.I.E. in Suffolk County until the double-nickel came in the mid-1970's. And yes, it should be raised back to 65. But as Alps correctly points out, it doesn't seem to make much difference nowadays to the 85th percentile speed.

shadyjay

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 08:04:20 PM
Why is the speed limit still 55 on part of I-84 in New York? Most rural freeways in New York are 65.

Well, guess what?  Up until 10-20 years ago, the speed limit on I-84 east of Newburgh was 55 MPH the whole way to CT.  Then at some point post NYSTA-control, it was raised to 65.  We used to joke, saying you had to pay to go 65 MPH in New York (at the time, I-684 was also 55).  What they kept as 55 is from the Thruway mainline to the east side of the bridge in Beacon and a couple miles in Brewster around I-684. 

As others have stated, the amount of traffic and congestion around the I-84/I-684 interchange, and the roadway geometry/traffic around the NBB warrant these areas to be 55 MPH.  Ideally, we'd have a continuous 3 lanes on I-84 from I-684 east to Danbury (and continuing to Waterbury), and the speed limit could be 65.  Theoretically, you could raise it right now from Exit 1-3 but it really doesn't make sense for only a couple miles. 

It was sometime in the much less than 20 year timeframe (probably closer to the 10-15 year mark) when the Thruway upped the speed limit from Suffern to the GSP to 65, as prior to that, the 65 MPH zone started just north of the Suffern/NY 17 exit (15A). 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: shadyjay on May 13, 2021, 09:53:46 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 08:04:20 PM
Why is the speed limit still 55 on part of I-84 in New York? Most rural freeways in New York are 65.

Well, guess what?  Up until 10-20 years ago, the speed limit on I-84 east of Newburgh was 55 MPH the whole way to CT.  Then at some point post NYSTA-control, it was raised to 65.  We used to joke, saying you had to pay to go 65 MPH in New York (at the time, I-684 was also 55).  What they kept as 55 is from the Thruway mainline to the east side of the bridge in Beacon and a couple miles in Brewster around I-684. 

As others have stated, the amount of traffic and congestion around the I-84/I-684 interchange, and the roadway geometry/traffic around the NBB warrant these areas to be 55 MPH.  Ideally, we'd have a continuous 3 lanes on I-84 from I-684 east to Danbury (and continuing to Waterbury), and the speed limit could be 65.  Theoretically, you could raise it right now from Exit 1-3 but it really doesn't make sense for only a couple miles. 

It was sometime in the much less than 20 year timeframe (probably closer to the 10-15 year mark) when the Thruway upped the speed limit from Suffern to the GSP to 65, as prior to that, the 65 MPH zone started just north of the Suffern/NY 17 exit (15A).
What is the 85th percentile speed on that part of I-84?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Interesting.  I wonder what that means for the I-287 speed limit between the Thruway mainline and NJ.  I always assumed it was 65 on the NY side and dropped to 55 at the state line, but now I'm wondering if it's actually 55 all the way until I-87.  There isn't a speed limit sign on the NY side in either direction, and it could be it was just not thought of when the Thruway mainline was raised (after all, it's treated as an exit by NYSTA).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lstone19

Quote from: vdeane on May 13, 2021, 10:21:12 PM
Interesting.  I wonder what that means for the I-287 speed limit between the Thruway mainline and NJ.  I always assumed it was 65 on the NY side and dropped to 55 at the state line, but now I'm wondering if it's actually 55 all the way until I-87.  There isn't a speed limit sign on the NY side in either direction, and it could be it was just not thought of when the Thruway mainline was raised (after all, it's treated as an exit by NYSTA).

It might be useful to find out who owns what in that section (NYSDOT vs NYSTA). I'm old enough to remember Exit 15 when it was a low-speed trumpet with a toll booth (when the ticket section ended at Spring Valley) and in those days, the ramps to/from NJ 17 actually went slightly into NJ (the gore areas extended south of the border based on the state line signage). In those days, NY 17 went over the hill past Hillburn rather than via the Thruway to 15A (which did not exist then). So it's entirely possible that all of I-287/NY 17 between the Thruway mainline and the NJ state line is just considered Thruway ramp rather than NYSDOT freeway mainline as historically, the Thruway ramps went all the way to the border.

vdeane

Judging by the signage (Clearview, no reference markers, used a NYSTA-spec welcome sign back when those existed, etc.), looks like it's still basically considered a Thruway ramp.  Doesn't really make a lot of sense for NYSDOT to take over just a quarter of a mile or so.  Judging by this signage, it might actually be 65, but that's not wholly conclusive; it's possible such signage was plopped on all approaches reflexively.  I can't think of such a mistake in NY off the top of my head, but I've seen it elsewhere; in NH, heading south from Franconia Notch, there was a chain of work zones with "left lane ends, merge right" signs advertising a closer for a lane that didn't exist on the single-lane portion and was already closed when moving from one work zone to an adjacent one.  And on I-70, I think there were similar signs advertising the reduced speed of 60 for a work zone in MD... posted in the 55 portion in PA (yep, even with a work zone, the speed limit still went up!).  So who knows.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignBridge

Ah yes, the signs in vdeane's link above are the ones that wrongly show I-287 as going south instead of east. Good old NYSTA. Lot's of goofy signing.

cl94

Everything between Exit 15 and the state line is (and AFAIK always has been) maintained by NYSTA. NYSDOT may have controlled the ramps between the Hillburn Bypass and NJ, but those merged with the Thruway access right at the state line. It is (and always has been) considered part of the Exit 15 complex.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on May 14, 2021, 04:21:17 PM
NYSDOT may have controlled the ramps between the Hillburn Bypass and NJ, but those merged with the Thruway access right at the state line.

They did, you can see the SH number here.

baugh17

Quote from: Alps on May 12, 2021, 06:06:03 PM
You're all talking about 65 vs. 55 as if anyone enforces below 75 in either case.

Don't get me going on NY 5S and the revenue generators in Frankfort.

Sam

Quote from: baugh17 on May 15, 2021, 11:22:39 AM

Ha! They've got it down alright. If you go to court, they'll plead it down to a $100 parking ticket. You get no points on your license, it costs you a little less money, they keep it all and beat the state out of the surcharges.

dkblake

Quote from: Sam on May 15, 2021, 01:40:52 PM

Ha! They've got it down alright. If you go to court, they'll plead it down to a $100 parking ticket. You get no points on your license, it costs you a little less money, they keep it all and beat the state out of the surcharges.

That's a nice upstate discount! A few years ago I met a "revenue generator" in Suffolk County and pled down to a $450 parking ticket with no points.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

fmendes

Why doesnt the State DOT fix the Cluster F**k on the Cross bronx at the Major Deegan even the smallest thing as to Allowing trucks to use the lower level of the George Washington bridge to prevent trucks from weaving across three lanes of traffic they could also stripe a solid line in the middle of the Washington bridge to guide vehicles coming from the major deegan weaving across 3 lanes and squeezing on the upper level

empirestate

Quote from: fmendes on May 24, 2021, 10:20:13 AM
Why doesnt the State DOT fix the Cluster F**k on the Cross bronx at the Major Deegan even the smallest thing as to Allowing trucks to use the lower level of the George Washington bridge to prevent trucks from weaving across three lanes of traffic they could also stripe a solid line in the middle of the Washington bridge to guide vehicles coming from the major deegan weaving across 3 lanes and squeezing on the upper level

Primarily because the state DOT doesn't manage the George Washington Bridge.

cl94

Oh yeah, this is a thing in most of Upstate. Tickets with points have a portion that goes to the state, tickets without points stay local. So if you're willing to go to court, they're very happy to plead it down to something with no points and potentially a smaller fine because the town comes out ahead.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Upon doing research this evening on the Southtowns Connector in Buffalo, I discovered that the original plan was for the expressway to run parallel with the CSX tracks in existence about a mile east of the current NY 5 alignment, between NY 179 and I-190. They would then remove the Skyway bridge and convert the existing highway into a boulevard. This was back in the 1990s. That project devolved into what we saw constructed about 10-15 years ago, which was a pathetic reconstruction of NY 5, in place, and the Skyway needed to be repaired every 5 or so years. Now they want to tear the Skyway down, again, but this time they (the politicians) don't feel like building any expressway alternative to carry the leftover traffic, but would rather funnel people onto a 40 MPH new side street. I don't understand how this area operates. Meanwhile you have Salt Lake City building dozens of miles of expressways without any hitches.

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/C_Chapter_2_Project_Evolution.pdf
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on May 24, 2021, 01:35:27 PM

Oh yeah, this is a thing in most of Upstate. Tickets with points have a portion that goes to the state, tickets without points stay local. So if you're willing to go to court, they're very happy to plead it down to something with no points and potentially a smaller fine because the town comes out ahead.

And speaking of NY 5, the last time I was pulled over, I was doing 60 in the 40 MPH speed trap zone at 5 AM. The Lackawanna police gave me the option to do just that.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

fmendes

Quote from: empirestate on May 24, 2021, 12:59:04 PM
Quote from: fmendes on May 24, 2021, 10:20:13 AM

Primarily because the state DOT doesn't manage the George Washington Bridge.
well i know that what im talking about is the Bridge at the Highbridge interchange

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 24, 2021, 07:38:24 PM
And speaking of NY 5, the last time I was pulled over, I was doing 60 in the 40 MPH speed trap zone at 5 AM. The Lackawanna police gave me the option to do just that.

Woodlawn is good for that. Dirtiest speed trap in the county.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

WashuOtaku

Reuters recently released an article regarding Interstate 81 through Rochester Syracuse. It's an interesting read and I assume I-81 will be rerouted around the city if the plans mention are done.

webny99

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 25, 2021, 09:38:45 AM
Reuters recently released an article regarding Interstate 81 through Rochester. It's an interesting read and I assume I-81 will be rerouted around the city if the plans mention are done.

Syracuse, not Rochester. But yes, I-81 would be re-routed along I-481. This is a hot topic: there's a whole thread about it with almost 1k replies here.

crispy93

Quote from: webny99 on May 13, 2021, 05:07:11 PM
Regardless, I think it could be 65 mph no problem. But NY just doesn't seem to see Long Island as "rural". I struggle to see it that way myself at times.

NY 27 is even more egregious: https://goo.gl/maps/rfQML9sCt42XK53E9

I asked NYSDOT about it, TL;DR Long Island is too densely populated: https://i.imgur.com/j32xRdC.png

I wonder what the real reason is.

Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: crispy93 on May 25, 2021, 01:12:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 13, 2021, 05:07:11 PM
Regardless, I think it could be 65 mph no problem. But NY just doesn't seem to see Long Island as "rural". I struggle to see it that way myself at times.
I asked NYSDOT about it, TL;DR Long Island is too densely populated: https://i.imgur.com/j32xRdC.png
Lol what a dumbass.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Buffaboy

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 25, 2021, 08:35:26 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on May 24, 2021, 07:38:24 PM

Woodlawn is good for that. Dirtiest speed trap in the county.

And NY 5 south of Woodlawn

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.