News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danlb_2000

I am wondering what the light on the vertical poll is for, it doesn't really line up with anything.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 04, 2019, 01:15:58 PM
I-295 South at the AlJo Curve will be closed tonight for milling and repaving.  The detour is the longated detour on I-76 West to I-676 North to make the U-Turn at Exit 1 (Collings Ave).  This is probably the safe detour.  The way most people will go will be I-76 West to the first exit (Exit 1C), Left on Market, Right onto I-76 East, cross 5 lanes, then take the left exit for I-295 South.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2019/010319.shtm

Speaking of the Aljo curve, the large left arrow one sees now only has 1 straight light working (the left most - in <----) along with the arrow itself.

Didn't see any new paving so I assume this didn't happen, probably because of the rain Friday night.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on January 08, 2019, 05:25:02 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 04, 2019, 01:15:58 PM
I-295 South at the AlJo Curve will be closed tonight for milling and repaving.  The detour is the longated detour on I-76 West to I-676 North to make the U-Turn at Exit 1 (Collings Ave).  This is probably the safe detour.  The way most people will go will be I-76 West to the first exit (Exit 1C), Left on Market, Right onto I-76 East, cross 5 lanes, then take the left exit for I-295 South.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2019/010319.shtm

Speaking of the Aljo curve, the large left arrow one sees now only has 1 straight light working (the left most - in <----) along with the arrow itself.

Didn't see any new paving so I assume this didn't happen, probably because of the rain Friday night.

Yep.  I did see the VMS now say *this* Friday night, so I guess they're going to try again.

jeffandnicole

A VMS sign on 295: New Traffic Pattern Starting Feb 2 at Exit 27. That will be for traffic on 295 North going thru the new "tunnel" in that area. Actually, I'm surprised they've posted the sign so early. Usually they give a few days notice...if any at all!

After that they'll build up the asphalt from the 76E to 295N ramp, and they'll go thru the tunnel as well.

jeffandnicole

bzakharin

The new traffic pattern will reduce the Route 42 northbound ramp to I-295 northbound from three lanes to two lanes just past the Browning Road overpass and shift traffic into to a newly constructed covered roadway.
Huh? I assume they mean the I-295 northbound mainline because the NJ 42 ramp (which only is a single lane) joins I-295 prior to the Browning Road overpass.

jeffandnicole

Due to Friday's non-forecasted snowfall, the 295 tunnel opening was pushed back to Saturday night. And instead of keeping one lane of traffic open and working around that, they're just closing 295 completely at Exit 26. You'll have to exit on I-76 West then make a u-turn to get back to 295 north.

Quote from: bzakharin on January 31, 2019, 04:13:46 PM
The new traffic pattern will reduce the Route 42 northbound ramp to I-295 northbound from three lanes to two lanes just past the Browning Road overpass and shift traffic into to a newly constructed covered roadway.
Huh? I assume they mean the I-295 northbound mainline because the NJ 42 ramp (which only is a single lane) joins I-295 prior to the Browning Road overpass.

Yep. For some reason in the planning documents, they often refer to 295 as 42 Local, so I guess that's where the press release writer (not being familiar with the area) took the info from.

jeffandnicole

The new tunnel opened Sunday morning, after NJDOT revised their traffic mitigation plan to simply close down 295 overnight Saturday into Sunday and have them follow a detour route.  I went thru the interchange around 2:30am Sunday; absolutely no traffic and no delay to speak of thru the interchange towards the detour.

Sunday morning, the tunnel was open.  There's now a sharper curve coming off of 76/42 to get to the tunnel, but the curve is banked fairly well.  They did lower the speed limit from 45 to 35 mph, not that many people will notice because they simply took away the 45 mph signs and didn't add any new 35 mph signs, which are posted as one enters the interchange a half-mile back.  There is a "Speed Limit 35; Your Speed is XX" sign as you enter the curve as well.  Currently, there's 3 lanes approaching the tunnel, which narrows down to 2 lanes just as you start to enter the tunnel...a bit of a headscratching design.

Monday morning - it was slow, as expected, but otherwise traffic moved reasonably well.  Maybe a 5 minute delay altogether.  The main issue is that 295/42 has 3 lanes; but effectively narrows down to 1 lane after the tunnel as the right lane is an exit only lane for 168.  The 2 lanes from the 76 East to 295 North ramp meet up with 295 mainline fairly late, so there's a limited amount of room for everyone to jockey for position.

danlb_2000

The lanes from the 76 ramp were re-routed into the tunnel this morning. This is a pretty big milestone since I believe this is that last major thing that needed to be moved to clear the way for the new 295 mainline to be built.

One of the intertesting things about the tunnel to me is the amount of lighting that was installed on the walls. I sure there is a reason but it seems excessive for such a small tunnel.

jeffandnicole

The 295/42 Missing Moves ramps are about a mile in length, yet will wind up costing nearly $200 million!  NJDOT is requesting another $38 million on top of the $160 million estimated project cost.  The ramps are scheduled to go out to bid in September.

https://www.dvrpc.org/asp/boardcomment/detail.asp?id=2968

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 13, 2019, 09:59:06 AM
The 295/42 Missing Moves ramps are about a mile in length, yet will wind up costing nearly $200 million!  NJDOT is requesting another $38 million on top of the $160 million estimated project cost.  The ramps are scheduled to go out to bid in September.

I wonder when the direct connect Contract 4 goes out for bid, I would think it would be soon.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on July 19, 2019, 08:46:44 PM

I wonder when the direct connect Contract 4 goes out for bid, I would think it would be soon.

Sometime in 2021.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 20, 2019, 07:31:57 AM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on July 19, 2019, 08:46:44 PM

Sometime in 2021.

Wow, it go pushed back that far?

It looks like contract 2 is pretty close to wrapping up. There doesn't seem to be to much left on 3 until they start work on the Browning Road overpass and then finish the main line overpass.

tolbs17

Jesus. I didn't know it would take forever to complete that project. It should be done by now. It was been soo long already.

jeffandnicole

I took notice to the timeline of Contract #4.  It now shows a completion date of Winter, 2025...which will make this interchange project about a 13 year project from beginning to end, not including the advanced contract that addressed traffic concerns in the vicinity of the project!

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 09, 2019, 01:50:47 PM
I took notice to the timeline of Contract #4.  It now shows a completion date of Winter, 2025...which will make this interchange project about a 13 year project from beginning to end, not including the advanced contract that addressed traffic concerns in the vicinity of the project!

I wonder if the Browning Road overpass re-build is holding things up? At this point in looks like most of the work that still needs to be done is dependent on completing that part of the project.

BrianP

Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 11, 2019, 07:27:36 PMI wonder if the Browning Road overpass re-build is holding things up? At this point in looks like most of the work that still needs to be done is dependent on completing that part of the project.
It was a hold-up according to this:
QuoteConstruction was originally expected to be completed in 2021, but that date has been extended to 2024 because of increased time needed to buy land for the Browning Road Bridge replacement, he said.
https://www.nj.com/traffic/2017/10/when_is_the_dots_900_million_direct_connection_goi.html

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on August 12, 2019, 11:36:19 AM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 11, 2019, 07:27:36 PMI wonder if the Browning Road overpass re-build is holding things up? At this point in looks like most of the work that still needs to be done is dependent on completing that part of the project.
QuoteConstruction was originally expected to be completed in 2021, but that date has been extended to 2024 because of increased time needed to buy land for the Browning Road Bridge replacement, he said.
https://www.nj.com/traffic/2017/10/when_is_the_dots_900_million_direct_connection_goi.html

Quote from: BrianP on August 12, 2019, 11:36:19 AM

That was one of the reasons for the holdup a few years back. But that land has since been long purchased and not the reason for the delay now.  The center concrete supports are built, and a lot of the infrastructure for the temporary bridge was put in.  However, my guess is there an issue with the outer supports for the temporary bridges.  Shortly after they were poured is when construction stopped.   

One of the trickiest parts of the current phase - relocating 12 families in the way of the construction project by building them new homes on sight of their current neighborhood, appears to have gone flawlessly and that part of the phase has been completed. It's where the new ramp for 76 East to 295 South has been built - the sound barrier was recently installed and some final work on the neighborhood side is taking place.

The rest of the project seems to be continuing as best as it can.  But as Dan said, until that new Browning Road bridge is built, they're kinda stuck.

danlb_2000

Looks like work is finally starting back up on the temporary Browning Road overpass. I saw crews working around both foundations today.

jeffandnicole

After a month and a half of postponements, the bids for the 295/42 Missing Moves project were finally received today.  South State, a contractor that does a lot of work for NJDOT, is the apparent high bidder at $180 million.  While higher than previous estimates, the latest request was to have $198 million available, so it's a bit under the most recent funding estimate.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/apparentbids_19121701.pdf

02 Park Ave

South State, INC appears to be the apparent low bidder.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/12/its-costing-more-and-taking-longer-but-this-massive-nj-project-is-expected-to-make-life-easier.html

Not much new info...and a phase's projected cost of $192 million increasing by $4 million really isn't all that much on the grand scale of things.  The writer of the article isn't exactly the most fluent of writers either.  He seems to get a quote or two from DOT and good enough.  He's not from around the area either, so his knowledge of the interchange is quite limited.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2019, 12:08:22 PM
https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/12/its-costing-more-and-taking-longer-but-this-massive-nj-project-is-expected-to-make-life-easier.html

Not much new info...and a phase's projected cost of $192 million increasing by $4 million really isn't all that much on the grand scale of things.  The writer of the article isn't exactly the most fluent of writers either.  He seems to get a quote or two from DOT and good enough.  He's not from around the area either, so his knowledge of the interchange is quite limited.

NJ.com isn't really regarded as bastion of quality journalism lol

danlb_2000

The article says "That schedule is off by about two years from a 2022 completion date because some modifications had to be made to pre-cast pier designs". Assuming this is true I wonder if this is directly related to the Browning Road overpass?

I did see them doing a concrete pour the other day below where the cemetery side of the temporary bridge will be.

Alps

Quote from: danlb_2000 on January 01, 2020, 07:27:33 PM

The article says "That schedule is off by about two years from a 2022 completion date because some modifications had to be made to pre-cast pier designs". Assuming this is true I wonder if this is directly related to the Browning Road overpass?

I did see them doing a concrete pour the other day below where the cemetery side of the temporary bridge will be.
Given how long that's been sitting untouched, you're probably right.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.