News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

It was -12 when I woke up this morning. This afternoon when I stepped outside I expected it to be sharp cold, but it was actually a comfortable 15 and sunny.

Flint1979

Currently in Independence Township in Oakland County, Michigan

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on February 11, 2020, 12:42:18 AM
In addition to all the rain and flooding concerns, we're now looking at a potential severe weather threat for both tomorrow and Wednesday.

This didn't happen, and all we got was just a whole lot of rain. The sun made an appearance Friday and yesterday, but it's gone once again today as we enter another period of fog, clouds, and rain with maybe a slight chance of a thunderstorm. I don't expect to see the sun again until Friday. Some models had previously suggested the possibility of a snow event here on Thursday, but the more recent runs have backed off that idea significantly.

webny99

This morning would absolutely blow your mind if you're from the South or Southwest.
By our standards, it was a total whiff on the part of the snow maintenance / removal crews. With less than an inch of snow in the forecast and public schools all on vacation, the roads hadn't been touched. By commute time this morning, as snow totals climbed upwards of 2 inches and it was still below freezing, the roads were a disaster: completely covered, and slippery as heck. Over the course of three miles on the freeway, we saw five cars in the ditch! It was a truly nail-biting commute. Easily the worst the roads have been all season.
By 8:30 the snow has slowed down, and it warms up a few degrees. On the road again at 11:30 and the roads are 100% completely clear, a bit wet but no trace of snow, not even between the lanes on the freeway. And not just the freeways either - even the local roads and the neighborhood streets are as clean as they were last night! A truly wild turnaround. I honestly can't remember anything quite like it.

I know if 3 inches happened in other parts of the country, it would take days to get the roads completely clear, basically waiting for the snow to melt would be faster than relying on the snow removal crews.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on February 18, 2020, 01:20:49 PM
This morning would absolutely blow your mind if you're from the South or Southwest.
By our standards, it was a total whiff on the part of the snow maintenance / removal crews. With less than an inch of snow in the forecast and public schools all on vacation, the roads hadn't been touched. By commute time this morning, as snow totals climbed upwards of 2 inches and it was still below freezing, the roads were a disaster: completely covered, and slippery as heck. Over the course of three miles on the freeway, we saw five cars in the ditch! It was a truly nail-biting commute. Easily the worst the roads have been all season.
By 8:30 the snow has slowed down, and it warms up a few degrees. On the road again at 11:30 and the roads are 100% completely clear, a bit wet but no trace of snow, not even between the lanes on the freeway. And not just the freeways either - even the local roads and the neighborhood streets are as clean as they were last night! A truly wild turnaround. I honestly can't remember anything quite like it.

I know if 3 inches happened in other parts of the country, it would take days to get the roads completely clear, basically waiting for the snow to melt would be faster than relying on the snow removal crews.
In early April 2016 we had the craziest weather day I may ever see. It was 5-10 minute increments of blizzard conditions and sub-freezing temps, followed by 15-20 minute periods of perfect sunshine and temps in the 40s, in which the snow would quickly melt. All day.
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edOLidJOvWk

Max Rockatansky

It's been about 90F in Jalisco this past week with the lows ranging from 55-60F.  It's been kind of muggy despite there being no rain but it's about 20% today. 

Bruce

False spring is coming to end here. Sun was out and now the gray returns.

NWI_Irish96

Watched the 9pm news last night with a forecast of 1.5" of snow from Tuesday-Wednesday.  Watched the 7am news this morning and that forecast is now 8.5".

To quote Ron Burgundy,  "Well, that escalated quickly"
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

Models have not handled this system well at all. I went from 15 inches to less than 2 inches in 24 hours.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 89

Quote from: ET21 on February 25, 2020, 12:16:58 AM
Models have not handled this system well at all. I went from 15 inches to less than 2 inches in 24 hours.

At least it's better than going from 2 to 15 inches

KEVIN_224

A period of rain and a slight cool down has come into Connecticut. My birthday was great, as I was in Springfield, MA for part of the day. Like with central CT? No snow at all! It was also about 61 degrees! :)

Max Rockatansky

Back in the U.S. and Fresno.  High was about 74F this afternoon, apparently it will be 48F tonight.  I'm to understand there is a chance of rain this weekend and 10 inches of snow in Yosemite. 

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on February 25, 2020, 12:34:09 AM

Maybe this is just my (relative) youth manifesting itself, but I would take the 15 inches hands down!
In fact, I'd be quite disappointed if 15 inches were forecasted and then never happened.

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2020, 10:00:39 PMI'm to understand there is a chance of rain this weekend and 10 inches of snow in Yosemite. 
That would be helpful.  Here are the inches of snow for February to date at the Tahoe area ski resorts and a few to the south, with nothing else expected until the weekend.

Those numbers should be close to 100 inches and I think some of them were in the 200-inch vicinity in February 2019.

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2020, 10:18:32 PM

Maybe this is just my (relative) youth manifesting itself, but I would take the 15 inches hands down!
In fact, I'd be quite disappointed if 15 inches were forecasted and then never happened.

If I were a professional forecaster I'd be shitting my pants if my 2 inch forecast jumped to 15 inches overnight. It is FAR worse to be underprepared for a weather event than it is to be overprepared.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on February 25, 2020, 10:25:51 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2020, 10:18:32 PM
If I were a professional forecaster I'd be shitting my pants if my 2 inch forecast jumped to 15 inches overnight. It is FAR worse to be underprepared for a weather event than it is to be overprepared.

Well, yes, if I was the forecaster, then definitely.
I was thinking about it more from my personal perspective, not being someone that forecasts weather as a profession.

Buck87

32 degrees and snowing, with 1-3" expected

We've had many of these little snows this year, but so far nothing more than 4"

ozarkman417

"be sunny for more than one day a week or draw 25"

proceeds to draw 25

webny99

It's actually been a beautiful late winter (no, not early spring) weekend! Started out with a surprise 2 inches of snow that blew in from the north on Friday evening. But it's been clear as a bell and quite mild ever since.

Not that I'm expecting it to last, but at least if it does the missing hour tomorrow morning will be a bit more bearable...

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2020, 09:27:53 PM
It's actually been a beautiful late winter (no, not early spring) weekend! Started out with a surprise 2 inches of snow that blew in from the north on Friday evening. But it's been clear as a bell and quite mild ever since.

Not that I'm expecting it to last, but at least if it does the missing hour tomorrow morning will be a bit more bearable...
It's been a pretty mild winter here I'm probably about 350 miles west of you.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 08, 2020, 10:16:28 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2020, 09:27:53 PM

It's been a pretty mild winter here I'm probably about 350 miles west of you.

Also a mild winter here to the east.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Rochester was (still is?) at #1 atop the leaderboard for winter '19-'20 snowfall for major US cities, thanks to a snowy November. Around 100 inches is our season average, and I believe we've had around 75 inches to date.

But then we've had two or three bitter cold snaps with single digits and sub-zero wind chills. And we did have snow on the ground for the entire month of February, which is somewhat rare to go that long without a major thaw.

On balance, I guess it hasn't been particularly mild, but certainly more manageable than other years. Only one nail-biter commute so far, and the roads were completely clear by noon that day.

Eth

Sunny and 39 (well, okay, clear and 39 because it's 8 AM and the sun is only just now coming up stupid DST), and this is the last time we'll be seeing the 30s (and maybe even the 40s) for a little while. Mild week ahead with highs around 65-70 and lows in the mid-50s. Chance of showers every day starting tomorrow, of course, because it's still Georgia.

ozarkman417

NWS is saying it will be raining for most of my Spring Break. Between that and the Coronavirus, the timing of the break could not be worse. Around four inches of rain headed my way over the next week  :banghead:  :banghead:

webny99

Well, here in upstate NY, we have at least been blessed with beautiful weather and what looks like an early spring. It's cold out, but clear as a bell for the second day in a row. Truly unheard of for mid-March.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.