AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Happy Leap Day!  (Read 1435 times)

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
Happy Leap Day!
« on: February 29, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »

Happy leap day to everyone! A friend of mine is turning sixty today, so he's out celebrating his fifteenth birthday with his family. I myself am doing something that I like to do but don't get to do as often as I'd like, which is writing an article.

Is anyone else doing something special to celebrate this quirk of the calendar?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
Re: Happy Leap Day!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »

Happy leap day to everyone! A friend of mine is turning sixty today, so he's out celebrating his fifteenth birthday with his family. I myself am doing something that I like to do but don't get to do as often as I'd like, which is writing an article.

Is anyone else doing something special to celebrate this quirk of the calendar?

I went out for a drive to enjoy the mild weather. Drove up to Devils Den Park and wound up near Sallisaw.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 12:02:45 AM »

I had chocolate milk for the first time in years. 

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:52:44 PM
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 12:06:34 AM »

This leap day is simply another finale to the month for me, and not much else. I'm glad it landed on a Saturday.

Today was the first day the area has had good weather for a few days, so I took a hike at a local conservation area (it was quite packed). A stargazing trip I took yesterday leaked in to today, as I got home from the location after midnight.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:43:45 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 12:41:30 AM »

Just popping in to leave a comment, to say that I was here!

My local 7-Eleven has "Leap Day Pizza" today: whole pie for $2.29 (normally $7).

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:48:12 AM »

If we're going to have an extra day, put it in the summer when the weather is nicer. Make it a holiday, too–since salaries are based on a year's work, the extra day arguably means you work one day more without extra pay during leap year (so, following the normal practice, that means this year the holiday would have been observed on Friday).

If you look at Appendix D to The Return of the King, you’ll see the hobbits got it right–they set up their calendar so every year had the same calendar, that is, every year started on the same day as the year before and the months did as well. This was done by having Midyear's Day as a "blank day"–a day not assigned to a weekday. The "Overlithe," the extra day added in leap year, was likewise a "blank day" and was considered a special holiday. Problem with all that is, it would never be accepted in our world because people who take the book of Genesis literally would object to any day that’s not part of a seven-day weekly cycle. There’s one proposed calendar that would resolve that problem by shortening the year to 364 days and then adding a seven-day "leap week" every five or six years (I don’t know how the calculation works to determine how often it’s needed).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:47:27 PM
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »

If we're going to have an extra day, put it in the summer when the weather is nicer. Make it a holiday, too–since salaries are based on a year's work, the extra day arguably means you work one day more without extra pay during leap year (so, following the normal practice, that means this year the holiday would have been observed on Friday).

If you're paid on a weekly or biweekly basis, you get an extra payday in the calendar year roughly every six years (weekly) or 11 years (biweekly), which makes up for the extra work days in leap years -- unless your employer is a shmuck and lowers weekly and biweekly salaries in those years to keep the annual pay constant.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »

I wasn’t really being serious.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:10:05 PM
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 01:53:10 PM »

Not a special observation for Leap Day.  But I did ref at a FIRST Robotics Competition.  That made the day special.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 08:32:00 PM »

If you're paid on a weekly or biweekly basis, you get an extra payday in the calendar year roughly every six years (weekly) or 11 years (biweekly), which makes up for the extra work days in leap years -- unless your employer is a shmuck and lowers weekly and biweekly salaries in those years to keep the annual pay constant.

NYS actually did lower pay for this year for state employees, supposedly because of the leap year.  I'm still not sure how that works.  I don't think we have an extra pay period this year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.