News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

VA 409 returns to the active list

Started by Mapmikey, July 23, 2012, 08:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Froggie reported to me today that there is a signed VA 409 on US 60 a little east of Providence Forge.  He was passing through and didn't see what it was for.

After a little digging, I believe this is for the Eastern Region office of the Virginia Forestry Service, which relocated to New Kent County from Tappahannock in 2010. 

I could find no evidence of the CTB nor the legislature putting this into the system.  It is not on the VDOT on-line interactive map. 

It may be a while before I can get over there to see if it is posted on the other end (or where the other end actually is...)

Mapmikey

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

I might actually consider checking this out this weekend. My girlfriend and I were planning to take a daytrip anyway, possibly to Williamsburg, and US 60 is a fairly nice drive (if a little boring).

Interesting that VDOT would use a 4xx number for a state facility. Are there no unused 3xx numbers left?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

^ 317 was unused. That they didn't use that makes me wonder if they're going to use it on what's now VA 311.

Maybe there's also another VA 408 out there somewhere.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

The online interactive map actually shows a VA 317 in Staunton, where VA 333 at Western State Hospital was.  It also shows VA 333 at the annex by the Frontier Culture Museum.  I field checked this a couple months back and the original WSH is now a condo complex and it appeared there was no state facility at all.

So I -think- 317 might still be available.  VA 217, however, demonstrates it doesn't matter...there were numerous 3xx routes available when it was assigned in the 1950s.

Mapmikey

Takumi

I visited VA 409 this morning. It is indeed for the forestry office, but it doesn't go all the way there. It ends at the first intersection past the railroad tracks (George Dean Drive; there's an End State Maintenance sign there). It's called G.W. King Boulevard and is about the length of VA 162. The only shields are trailblazers on US 70, one eastbound and two westbound. Pics forthcoming.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Here's a teaser of the eastbound trailblazer. Phone picture of my computer screen, so it'll look better once I upload the full pic.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.