News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

numbering question

Started by sernum, December 15, 2021, 07:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: Dirt Roads on December 16, 2021, 10:50:22 PM
Curiosities in the West Virginia "fractional" route numbering:

The highest denominator that I can find is 19/96 in Little Birch (Braxton County).

The "biggest" number (most digits with highest numerator) that I can find is CR-119/95 in Anchor (Boone County).

Some counties have a prevalence of "fractionals" with single digits in both the numerator and denominator.  The is certainly the case in northern Braxton County.  This only occurs when the single digit county routes are more important than the two-digit county routes.
It's pretty common to have the denominators be in single digits. It's normally only with US route or state route parents that they are long enough to get more than a handful of children.

WVDOH normally starts laying out CR 1 in the northwest corner and works south/east from there, so a county route numbering having a lower digit doesn't inherently mean it's more important than another. Same thing goes with fractions - at least originally, they started in the north/west end of a route but there tends to be a lot of in-fill as roads have been added.

Some "fractional" route numbers cross back-and-forth across county lines.  In general, if the route returns to the originating county the number stays consistent.  WVDOH grays out the route shields on the county maps when the routes are not in the originating county.
Are you referring to roads that ride along ridgeline? In that case, DOH assigns the entire section of road to one county or the other. It gets that county's designation and is maintained by that county's garage. This also happens with some roads that bounce along the WV/VA state line and leads to interesting things like WV maintaining part of WV 161 that dips into Virginia at Bishop.

Curiously, there are lots of "fractional" routes numbered after the Interstate routes.  There are so many 64/X routes in Cabell County that the series extends to 164/X.  CR-64/99 is located in the East Pea Ridge section.  Some of the 64/X routes are actually south of US-60 (which is south of I-64 in the area west of the 29th Street East exit (Exit 15).  There are also some 81/X routes in Berkeley County.
The 64/x series in Cabell County seems to be routes that split off of some CR 60/x. I'm not sure that the numbering has anything to do with I-64 as these routes are directly associated with the Interstate like you would expect.

In Monongalia County, the 68/x series of numbers has nothing to do with I-68. There was originally a CR 68, now numbered as CR 68/7 to avoid conflicting with the Interstate. The 68/x series is children of that route.

There are some new numerators interleaved with old numerators.  For instance, there is a prevalence of 17/X interspersed with 119/X in southern Boone County.  Interestingly, WVDOH shows the old numerators (in this case, 119/X) route shields grayed out on the county maps.  WV-17 replaced US-119 after the latter was relocated onto Corridor G.

DOH rarely renumbers routes. If a new route is created, or there is some need to renumber like due to an abandonment or truncation, a new number will be assigned with the new parent route's numerator. Otherwise, the old parent numerator sticks around.

The greyed out routes on the Boone County map are located in Logan County. Boone County numbers, both 17/x and 119/x, are in black on the Boone County map.

Dirt Roads

Some counties have a prevalence of "fractionals" with single digits in both the numerator and denominator.  The is certainly the case in northern Braxton County.  This only occurs when the single digit county routes are more important than the two-digit county routes.

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 17, 2021, 11:04:05 PM
It's pretty common to have the denominators be in single digits. It's normally only with US route or state route parents that they are long enough to get more than a handful of children.

Most certainly.  I'd be surprised if there are any counties that don't use up all of the single digits.  But for some reason, there are very few counties where a large percentage of roads are single digits in both the numerator and denominator.  Braxton County doesn't have a lot of short branches that are maintained by the state anymore.  And many of these X/X routes are longer roads that would not be numbered as "fractionals" in more populated counties.

Some "fractional" route numbers cross back-and-forth across county lines.  In general, if the route returns to the originating county the number stays consistent.  WVDOH grays out the route shields on the county maps when the routes are not in the originating county.

Are you referring to roads that ride along ridgeline? In that case, DOH assigns the entire section of road to one county or the other. It gets that county's designation and is maintained by that county's garage. This also happens with some roads that bounce along the WV/VA state line and leads to interesting things like WV maintaining part of WV 161 that dips into Virginia at Bishop.

Exactly that.

The greyed out routes on the Boone County map are located in Logan County. Boone County numbers, both 17/x and 119/x, are in black on the Boone County map.

I see that now.  It looked like CR-119/19 crossed over into Coal Valley from Logan County.  But if I look more carefully, I think the map is trying to indicate that the route number changes to CR-28/2 once it crosses into Boone County.  That looks like the only grayed out number along WV-17 in Boone County.

hbelkins

Speaking of WV 17, has its official southwestern terminus been moved now that it ends on the former WV 10?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on December 18, 2021, 06:24:35 PM
Speaking of WV 17, has its official southwestern terminus been moved now that it ends on the former WV 10?

Aug 2021 GMSV shows old WV 10 north to Logan clearly signed as CR 210/25.

If the CO orders are still on the WVDOT website I cannot locate them.  My recollection is that WV 17 is supposed to be extended across to the new WV 10 someday...

Bitmapped

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 18, 2021, 07:18:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 18, 2021, 06:24:35 PM

Aug 2021 GMSV shows old WV 10 north to Logan clearly signed as CR 210/25.

If the CO orders are still on the WVDOT website I cannot locate them.  My recollection is that WV 17 is supposed to be extended across to the new WV 10 someday...

August 2021 GMSV actually still shows WV 10 signed on its old route in Stollings around WV 17, like at https://goo.gl/maps/PNZ8SAx4gQRm2Hv26 and https://goo.gl/maps/WKPBC8VHeiUyUxwG7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.