News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

This sign error is probably the most obvious to an Ontarian, but this blue sign for Halls Road is an anomaly.  Signs like this should be green, however this sign was erected as part of the work that saw the neighbouring Hwy 412 interchange constructed, which as a toll road should and does have blue road signage.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_2_images/2_sign_HallsRoad_Blue_west_Aug17_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hbelkins

During a sign installation project a couple of years ago, West Virginia's contractor installed the wrong route markers on all the new signs for Exit 5 on I-79. The exit is actually for WV 114, but the new signage indicates US 119, which WV 114 intersects a few miles south of this interchange.

This is how the signage originally appeared.

Now...

2016 Corridor H Meet Trip Day 1-128 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

It should be noted that the first picture is southbound and the second one is northbound, but both directions now read US 119 instead of WV 114.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tckma

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2017, 12:16:32 PM
It should be noted that the first picture is southbound and the second one is northbound, but both directions now read US 119 instead of WV 114.

Well, easily fixed by slapping the word "TO" on the BGS signs, right?  The WV 114 shield is optional, as long as there's also "TO US 119 --->" signs at the ends of the ramps.

hbelkins

Quote from: tckma on September 28, 2017, 01:25:02 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2017, 12:16:32 PM

Well, easily fixed by slapping the word "TO" on the BGS signs, right?  The WV 114 shield is optional, as long as there's also "TO US 119 --->" signs at the ends of the ramps.

There always were "To US 119" signs at the ends of the ramps. They, too, were replaced in the project. And there are WV 114 signs at the bottoms of the ramps.

roadman65

Definitely erroneous, but only the installation is.  The sign is correct, but the installer was not paying attention.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

This one's a double error. It says US 75 when it should be VA 75, and in reality the marker here should be US 58 (the road is a concurrency of Alternate US 58 and VA 75).

2017 NC route-clinching trip Day 1 - 073 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on October 07, 2017, 02:22:29 PM
This one's a double error. It says US 75 when it should be VA 75, and in reality the marker here should be US 58 (the road is a concurrency of Alternate US 58 and VA 75).

2017 NC route-clinching trip Day 1 - 073 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Getting closer, though...here is what was posted there:

photo by Nicholas Mooneyhan 2006

cjk374

Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2017, 04:54:46 PM

Definitely erroneous, but only the installation is.  The sign is correct, but the installer was not paying attention.

Only error free if posted alongside a railroad mainline that is CTC controlled.  :biggrin:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Big John

Quote from: cjk374 on October 07, 2017, 03:57:13 PM
Only error free if posted alongside a railroad mainline that is CTC controlled.  :biggrin:
Or in Tipperary Hill in Syracuse NY

mapman1071

I think there is a green on top in upstate NY

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 07, 2017, 02:28:40 PM

Getting closer, though...here is what was posted there:

photo by Nicholas Mooneyhan 2006

I have more than one photo of that old assembly myself.

jakeroot

Quote from: mapman1071 on October 07, 2017, 09:00:50 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4450/23685783048_1bcb02a58c_c.jpg

I think there is a green on top in upstate NY

Tipperary Hill in Syracuse. I'm stunned that the signal still remains green-over-red. You'd think the source of the trouble (Irish youth) had since moved on. I don't think kids throw stones at traffic lights anymore.

jp the roadgeek

Part of the new sign replacement project  on I-84 in CT.  Geniuses at ConnDOT got the exit number wrong on one, but right on the other

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jmd41280

Error PA Turnpike 76 trailblazer in Warrendale, PA (should be I-76)

PA Turnpike 76 (sign goof) by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

kphoger

meh.

It's highway 76, and it's the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jmd41280 on November 08, 2017, 09:55:01 PM

What does that red belt sign mean?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mrsman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 09, 2017, 08:23:44 PM

It's a system in the Pittsburgh area for navigational purposes.  It essentially helps people get around the county by use of surface streets. 

Here is a link for more info:

http://popularpittsburgh.com/pittsburghs-belt-system-perfect-accessory/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_County_belt_system

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: mrsman on November 10, 2017, 11:21:26 AM

It's a system in the Pittsburgh area for navigational purposes.  It essentially helps people get around the county by use of surface streets. 

Cool, but I would give the belts numbers.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mrsman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 10, 2017, 11:39:11 AM
Quote from: mrsman on November 10, 2017, 11:21:26 AM

Probably couldn't use numbers as these are not state highways.  I don't know if PA recognizes numbered county roads.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: mrsman on November 10, 2017, 12:47:30 PM
Probably couldn't use numbers as these are not state highways.  I don't know if PA recognizes numbered county roads.

While a "County" belt system, the routes utilize all sorts of roads.  They're routed on some state roads, some county roads, and some municipal roads. 
I'm pretty sure, but not totally sure, that only the county maintains the signs for them.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

kphoger

Branson (MO) also has a system of colored routes that are intended to be a network of alternate routes to the always-clogged Strip.  They are shown prominently on tourist maps and signed in the field like this.

Back when I first met my wife in 2003 or so, you could still kind of get around Branson by using side streets.  By now, though, even the tourists have learned the side streets.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

briantroutman

Quote from: mrsman on November 10, 2017, 12:47:30 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 10, 2017, 11:39:11 AM

This was brought up in another thread, but the concept of "county roads"  is almost foreign in Pennsylvania. In many counties, the only county-owned roadways are essentially driveways or access roads on county-owned facilities (county parks, county-owned reservoirs, county prisons, etc.). Allegheny is one of the few counties (perhaps the only one) to have any general purpose streets/roads under county ownership and maintenance.

I think the use of colors is appropriate since the belts traverse a patchwork of state and local roads, some of which are already numbered. I have to wonder how much the colored belt system is actually being utilized, though. I remember seeing one AAA city map for Pittsburgh that had the colored belts highlighted (and explained), but I imagine that most out-of-towners have no idea what the colored belts are and don't use them. And I assume locals wouldn't need them for the most part.

cjk374

The best thing Missouri ever did for Branson was make US 65 a fast way to get through that madhouse.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

okroads

U.S. 122 in Middletown, OH:

DSC05224 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

U.S. 4 in Marion, OH:

DSC05092 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

DSC05103 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

bicyclehazard

I have an email from TDOT that says this sign does not exist. They also assure me non motorized traffic is allowed on all portions of the highway 100. Notice photo has GPS. Highway departments do put up illegal signs that result in false arrests. https://flic.kr/p/Kob6C8

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.