News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Motorcycle Laws

Started by OCGuy81, September 20, 2011, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Another oddity that my guests from Oregon noticed a few weeks ago when visiting.

In California, it's common to see motorcycles weave behind stopped traffic, and stop at a signal light between two cars then simply take off.  I suppose this ISN'T legal in some states, as my friend seemed a bit surprised when dirivng on PCH and a guy on a Kawasaki wedged between my car and another at a traffic light and then zipped off the second it turned green.

Can motorcycles "weave" in your respective areas?

realjd

My understanding is that California is the only state to allow motorcycles to split lanes of traffic. Being from out of state, it's bizarre having motorcycles fly between lanes at lights, in traffic, etc.

agentsteel53

it's kinda unnerving when they are doing so at 60-70-80mph in stop and go traffic.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 20, 2011, 05:33:36 PM
Another oddity that my guests from Oregon noticed a few weeks ago when visiting.

In California, it's common to see motorcycles weave behind stopped traffic, and stop at a signal light between two cars then simply take off.  I suppose this ISN'T legal in some states, as my friend seemed a bit surprised when dirivng on PCH and a guy on a Kawasaki wedged between my car and another at a traffic light and then zipped off the second it turned green.

No.  That's dangerous and Illegal here in Illinois.  Plus, car and truck drivers here would cut these jerks off.  We have neither the patience nor the tolerance for these line jumpers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 20, 2011, 05:33:36 PM
In California, it's common to see motorcycles weave behind stopped traffic, and stop at a signal light between two cars then simply take off. [snip]

It's not legal in Nevada.

Reno hosts a festival downtown every fall called "Street Vibrations", which basically celebrates vintage motorcycles and we have bikers all over town for several days.  Many people come in from California on I-80. Every year, prior to and during the event, NDOT uses dynamic message signs (including a portable one right inside the state line) to display the alternating messages "MOTORCYCLE HELMETS REQUIRED" / "ILLEGAL TO SPLIT LANES".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

1995hoo

It's illegal in Virginia and DC, but I've occasionally (maybe I should say "very rarely") seen them do it in stopped traffic or at red lights.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 20, 2011, 07:10:04 PM
it's kinda unnerving when they are doing so at 60-70-80mph in stop and go traffic.
IIRC, when motorcycles lane-split, they are only allowed to go 5-10 MPH faster than the flow of traffic.  If there is heavy traffic on the freeway moving at 10-15 MPH, then the lane-splitting motorcyclists are limited to at most 25 MPH.  If they are lane-splitting at 60-70-80 MPH in heavy traffic, that's illegal.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

so is popping wheelies doing 105 on a residential arterial, but no law prevents them from physically doing so.

I've noticed it's never the badass types riding Harleys that pull this sort of moronic shit.  they will split but at reasonable speed differentials.

conclusion: crotch rocketeers are idiots.  
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.