News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by mgk920 - Today at 01:48:41 PM
Quote from: kalvado on Today at 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: akotchi on Today at 10:02:55 AMThe silver dollars (Morgan and Peace) circulated.  Currency existed, though not sure if it was that prevalent at the time.

Currency took over during the 36-year gap between dollar coin issuance, which also saw the elimination of precious metal (silver) from the coin.  I have to believe that this gap doomed the relevance of a dollar coin (especially one that large) while a dollar bill circulated.

Even with the smaller coin, dollar bills still rule -- who wants a pile of dollar coins in their pocket?  I see dollar coins mainly at train/subway stations.  As long as dollar bills are still made, no dollar coin of any type will circulate widely.  Any that are made now, Native American or American Innovation, are for collectors (not for circulation).  And . . . the U.S. Mint still makes money making money.

Canada and Europe seem to do well without 1 and 2 dollar/euro bills.
It's been a while since I used cash as a primary payment method... but back then coins were flowing both ways for me, and I would be OK with pretty large nomination coins as long as they were not too heavy.  Carrying coins, except for a stray coin or two,  isn't really a thing for me any more.  Most wallets are cards-and-bills these days anyway. 
Today, coins are mostly tossed into the bowl - and recently I dumped $120 worth of change into a change machine. If there were dollar coins in that mix... I would likely be less comfortable with parking that much money on a shelf, but what would that mean in reality? More frequent bank visits or less cash overall? 
I am not sure what I would do if I got $1-2-3 into that bowl instead of 25-50 cents each time I buy coffee for cash.

That is the full visible effect of inflation (100:1 to 120:1 between 1924 and now).  A century ago, nearly all everyday commerce was in coins ONLY.  Carrying a single $1 banknote around then was like carrying at least a C-note now.  And yet, in the 1920s, we normally used coins of 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢ and 50¢.  a half dollar would buy a decent restaurant meal for the entire family.

Mike

Mike
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 01:19:46 PM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 11:37:18 AM^ All I'm saying is a somewhat similar strategy worked out OK for the Packers with Jordan Love and even better for the Chiefs with Mahomes. Even though the financials here are a bit different, the fact that they just paid Cousins so much money is arguably the worse move. It's a unique approach, but too early to say for sure that it was a bad move since the projected upside is long-term rather than immediate. If the pick hits, the contract stuff won't matter as much, and certainly won't be a talking point in 5+ years.

Alex Smith had one year left on his contract and was guaranteed 15 million. Patrick Mahomes was only 21 years old. At the end of Smith's contract, Mahomes would be 23.

Aaron Rodgers had two years left on his contract and was guaranteed 67 million. Jordan Love was only 21 years old. At the end of Rodgers' contract, Love would be 24.

Kirk Cousins has four years left on his contract and is guaranteed 100 million. Michael Penix is (just about) 24 years old. At the end of Cousins' contract, Penix will be 28.

One of these is considerably not like the other. I'm also still holding judgement on Love's future career. He is nowhere near Mahomes' level and I doubt he will ever be a top 10 QB in the league. Penix has a length injury history, and that was when he was still young. As he gets into his upper 20's and early 30's, that could very well be the story of his career.

The move is baffling.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by thspfc - Today at 01:14:06 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on Today at 10:51:58 AMBears quarterback cycle:
pre-draft hype
underwhelming start
glimmers of hope
one really good game or two
regression to the mean
whole season of mediocrity
benched
cut/traded
<start over>

I'm sure it'll be different this time.
I agree, it will be different. Every Packers fan I know (which is a lot considering where I'm from) has that same dismissive energy about this Bears team. These are not the same old Bears, maybe you'll realize soon enough.

Of course, Green Bay should be very good too and Detroit was probably one dropped interception away from the Super Bowl. There's a ton of offensive talent in that division, including probably four of the top ten WRs in the league. Minnesota is clearly the worst team to me and I don't even think they're bad.

Quote from: webny99 on Today at 11:37:18 AM^ All I'm saying is a somewhat similar strategy worked out OK for the Packers with Jordan Love and even better for the Chiefs with Mahomes. Even though the financials here are a bit different, the fact that they just paid Cousins so much money is arguably the worse move. It's a unique approach, but too early to say for sure that it was a bad move since the projected upside is long-term rather than immediate. If the pick hits, the contract stuff won't matter as much, and certainly won't be a talking point in 5+ years.
"If the pick hits" applies to every draft pick ever, so by that logic, why does anyone waste time discussing the draft at all?
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 01:12:04 PM
MD-485 —> MD-210:

4/21/24, taken on I-295 MD.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by cockroachking - Today at 01:06:43 PM
MD-482 > MD-485

This is probably the dumbest signed route in Maryland, which is a pretty high bar, given some of the roads that are signed.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 12:59:02 PM
Canada / Re: Ontario's Highways
Last post by vdeane - Today at 12:55:01 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on Today at 10:17:06 AM
Quote from: Chris on April 25, 2024, 02:53:08 PMA map showing the 110 km/h sections.

Interesting that they're giving 110 to the 406.  That's honestly a shock to me.  Assuming that's between Exits 11 & East Main St roundabout?
Meanwhile, I find it curious that the Kingston-ON 16 section of ON 401 was omitted.  That, 401 west of Toronto, most of the rest of 400, and 407 strike me as the major "missing links" for 110 kph.

Now if only Québec would get on board...
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by gonealookin - Today at 12:54:25 PM
It's looking good for early May openings of Sonora and Ebbetts Passes this year.  Those are especially pretty drives when there's still a lot of snow on the mountains.

https://twitter.com/Caltrans9/status/1783884977924604255
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by kalvado - Today at 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: akotchi on Today at 10:02:55 AMThe silver dollars (Morgan and Peace) circulated.  Currency existed, though not sure if it was that prevalent at the time.

Currency took over during the 36-year gap between dollar coin issuance, which also saw the elimination of precious metal (silver) from the coin.  I have to believe that this gap doomed the relevance of a dollar coin (especially one that large) while a dollar bill circulated.

Even with the smaller coin, dollar bills still rule -- who wants a pile of dollar coins in their pocket?  I see dollar coins mainly at train/subway stations.  As long as dollar bills are still made, no dollar coin of any type will circulate widely.  Any that are made now, Native American or American Innovation, are for collectors (not for circulation).  And . . . the U.S. Mint still makes money making money.

Canada and Europe seem to do well without 1 and 2 dollar/euro bills.
It's been a while since I used cash as a primary payment method... but back then coins were flowing both ways for me, and I would be OK with pretty large nomination coins as long as they were not too heavy.  Carrying coins, except for a stray coin or two,  isn't really a thing for me any more.  Most wallets are cards-and-bills these days anyway. 
Today, coins are mostly tossed into the bowl - and recently I dumped $120 worth of change into a change machine. If there were dollar coins in that mix... I would likely be less comfortable with parking that much money on a shelf, but what would that mean in reality? More frequent bank visits or less cash overall? 
I am not sure what I would do if I got $1-2-3 into that bowl instead of 25-50 cents each time I buy coffee for cash.
Key Bridge
I-95 Northeast Philly
Mianus River Bridge (as a young passenger prior to collapse; driver after)
Scoharie Creek on NY Thruway(after as passenger)
I-95 in Bridgeport, CT before tanker truck fire

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.