News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent Louisiana Highway Updates and Research

Started by 707, August 08, 2022, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm not sure if any of this got cleared up, but I did some digging through LADOTD records, which includes LRS readings and GIS data among all else.

LA 182, LA 182-1 and LA 182-2
There was a post several years ago with an individual asking if LA 182-1 and LA 182-2 really existed. They do exist. The entirety of LA 182 through downtown Broussard was handed over to the city in 2015 as part of the Road Transfer Program. The eastern end of LA 182 connecting to US 90 was also cut off, following the reconstruction of the Albertson Parkway/St. Nazaire Road and former LA 182 junctions into US 90 exits 115A and 115B. As a result, Main Street no longer had a direct connection to US 90 westbound. St Etienne Road is the only connection as of August 2022, to the southbound frontage road only, but is not designated as part of LA 182-2.

LA 182-1 runs between Youngsville Highway/Southpark Road in Lafayette along former LA 182 to an intersection with Bernard Road in Broussard. LA 182-2 runs between South De Porres Street in Broussard to St. Etienne road near the US 90 southbound frontage road. LA 182 proper now runs concurrent with LA 89-1 north along Southpark Road, then runs concurrent with US 90 to Exit 115B, where it splits onto the northbound and southbound frontage roads, which proceed to reconnect near a turnaround ramp just before the junction with LA 96. Funny enough, this has "extended" the total length of LA 182 by about a half mile. The changes have been fully signed and referenced by the LADOTD when I've looked on Street View.

LA 739 and LA 739 Spur
As of 2021, both designations are retired by de jure. Both are now city streets maintained by the city of Broussard. I can not confirm if the signs are still posted.

LA 93 and LA 93-1
The LA 93 designation was truncated to US 90 in Scott. The entire highway between US 90 and Dulles Road was handed to Lafayette Parish or Lafayette. The remainder is a small 1.8 mile long section which begins at the LA 342 traffic circle, then travels north along Rue de Belier, where state maintenance ends. This remnant has been entirely redesignated as LA 93-1.

LA 42
The western end has been truncated from LA 30 to I-10.

LA 64 and LA 64-1
LA 64-1 remains the same, but the entirety of LA 64 west of LA 67 has been decommissioned.

Resources:
http://www8.dotd.la.gov/latlong.net/map_point.aspx
http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Multimodal/Road_Transfer/District%2003/Lafayette_2022_RS.pdf
http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Multimodal/Road_Transfer/District%2061/EastBatonRouge_2022_RS.pdf

I haven't checked much else. Forgive me, I live in Arizona, not Louisiana, but I did this mostly out of personal interest. If anything I posted above was already known or totally wrong (which I take responsibility for if said is the case), please let me know. Especially if you are a Louisiana resident.

Urban Prairie Schooner

To view the current Louisiana state highway system GIS data, add the REST service linked below into a ArcGIS Online web map (or GIS software if you have it): https://maps.dotd.la.gov/road/rest/services/Roads_and_Highways_OpenData/FeatureServer/107

Add filter where SystemCode = '999-State Highway System' to view only state routes. (You can add further filters on Feature Type Code to remove ramps, crossovers, and frontage roads.)

Please note that there have been additional recent turnbacks in East Baton Rouge Parish reflected in the most recent Road Transfer Map for EBRP (updated 8/9) that are not reflected in the GIS data as of yet.  This affects portions of LA 73 and Business US 61/190 which has been officially rerouted onto I-110 per AASHTO approval.  (I doubt this will be signed very well if at all if DOTD's urban state highway signage track record holds.). Also the Government Street portion of LA 73 and S. Acadian Thruway portion of LA 427 are planned to be transferred to EBRP in the near future.

Based on the GIS it also appears that LA 182 was turned back from I-10 to City of Broussard. The line for 182 now follows I-10 and Evangeline Thruway. The plan has always been to turnback Pinhook Road and University Avenue south of Johnston Street. The northern segment is more interesting as DOTD originally wanted to keep it.  The Lafayette Consolidated (city-parish) Government has a plan to improve the University Avenue corridor which I presume is the reason for transfer to local control.

The -1 and -2 state route designations are signed/official, but I presume they are temporary until the turnback process for the associated route is complete.  Apparently certain lower numbered routes are not allowed to exist in separated segments.

One interesting thing in the GIS files is that DOTD apparently applies temporary route designations for local road projects in various parishes. The numbers are assigned in the high 32xx range.  (The highest numbered standard route is LA 3281.) The state must temporarily assume the routes into the state highway system while the projects are ongoing.

A few new routes have been added in the 12xx range recently, most prominently a southern bypass of Bastrop using former locally maintained roads.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on August 11, 2022, 08:37:10 PM
To view the current Louisiana state highway system GIS data, add the REST service linked below into a ArcGIS Online web map (or GIS software if you have it): https://maps.dotd.la.gov/road/rest/services/Roads_and_Highways_OpenData/FeatureServer/107

Add filter where SystemCode = '999-State Highway System' to view only state routes. (You can add further filters on Feature Type Code to remove ramps, crossovers, and frontage roads.)

Please note that there have been additional recent turnbacks in East Baton Rouge Parish reflected in the most recent Road Transfer Map for EBRP (updated 8/9) that are not reflected in the GIS data as of yet.  This affects portions of LA 73 and Business US 61/190 which has been officially rerouted onto I-110 per AASHTO approval.  (I doubt this will be signed very well if at all if DOTD's urban state highway signage track record holds.). Also the Government Street portion of LA 73 and S. Acadian Thruway portion of LA 427 are planned to be transferred to EBRP in the near future.

Based on the GIS it also appears that LA 182 was turned back from I-10 to City of Broussard. The line for 182 now follows I-10 and Evangeline Thruway. The plan has always been to turnback Pinhook Road and University Avenue south of Johnston Street. The northern segment is more interesting as DOTD originally wanted to keep it.  The Lafayette Consolidated (city-parish) Government has a plan to improve the University Avenue corridor which I presume is the reason for transfer to local control.

The -1 and -2 state route designations are signed/official, but I presume they are temporary until the turnback process for the associated route is complete.  Apparently certain lower numbered routes are not allowed to exist in separated segments.

One interesting thing in the GIS files is that DOTD apparently applies temporary route designations for local road projects in various parishes. The numbers are assigned in the high 32xx range.  (The highest numbered standard route is LA 3281.) The state must temporarily assume the routes into the state highway system while the projects are ongoing.

A few new routes have been added in the 12xx range recently, most prominently a southern bypass of Bastrop using former locally maintained roads.
I'm surprised Bastrop didn't ask for LA 830-7 there.

iPhone

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on August 13, 2022, 11:25:59 PM

I'm surprised Bastrop didn't ask for LA 830-7 there.

iPhone

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :pan: :pan:

Those of who know....know!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Urban Prairie Schooner

A new removal in Lafayette: As of 8/22/22 per the GIS data, US 167 has been removed from Johnston Street from College Road to Evangeline Thruway.  The 167 centerline is shown as following College Road (LA 3025) -> Bertrand Drive (LA 3025 & 3184) ->  Ambassador Caffery Pkwy (also LA 3184) -> I-10 -> its existing route at I-49.  The segment of Evangeline Thruway that is 167 alone is shown solely as part of the rerouted LA 182 (which, according to centerline data, was moved to Evangeline Thruway from I-10 to Broussard with the turnback of its existing route between those points).

I would love to know how (and when) this is going to be signed.  Pretty drastic to move 167 off North Evangeline Thruway IMO. Maybe 167 could have been rerouted via US 90/Cameron Street so that it would not lose its US route number. Then again, it would be a great opportunity to sign this section as Business Spur I-49, at least until I-49 South is actually completed in this area.

Anthony_JK

I'm guessing that moving LA 182 to the US 90/Evangeline Thruway corridor gives that particular route continuity to I-10 that it (the Thruway) didn't have before due to the overlap between US 90 (bails out to the west at Mudd Avenue) and US 167 (bails out to the south at Johnston Street). That would be critical when they start on the Lafayette Connector I-49 extension and upgrade of US 90 south of that.

Still, unless they are planning to streetscape Johnston Street between the Thruway and ULL and reduce its design speed, I don't understand the reasoning for taking US 167 off of the Thruway and Johnston north of College Drive. Isn't that roadway an official NHS route and a hurricane evacuation route for people evacuating lower Lafayette and Vermilion parishes?

If they are going to try that, they may as well truncate LA 182 to end in Lafayette and make the rest of it north of Lafayette (through Carencro, Grand Coteau/Sunset, Opelousas, and Washington) a north-south odd #'d state route. Maybe, a rerouted LA 29, with the existing LA 29 from Whiteville to Eunice through Ville Platte redone as an LA 3029 child route?

Quote from: Anthony_JK on August 30, 2022, 03:39:12 PM
I'm guessing that moving LA 182 to the US 90/Evangeline Thruway corridor gives that particular route continuity to I-10 that it (the Thruway) didn't have before due to the overlap between US 90 (bails out to the west at Mudd Avenue) and US 167 (bails out to the south at Johnston Street). That would be critical when they start on the Lafayette Connector I-49 extension and upgrade of US 90 south of that.

Still, unless they are planning to streetscape Johnston Street between the Thruway and ULL and reduce its design speed, I don't understand the reasoning for taking US 167 off of the Thruway and Johnston north of College Drive. Isn't that roadway an official NHS route and a hurricane evacuation route for people evacuating lower Lafayette and Vermilion parishes?

If they are going to try that, they may as well truncate LA 182 to end in Lafayette and make the rest of it north of Lafayette (through Carencro, Grand Coteau/Sunset, Opelousas, and Washington) a north-south odd #'d state route. Maybe, a rerouted LA 29, with the existing LA 29 from Whiteville to Eunice through Ville Platte redone as an LA 3029 child route?

LADOTD road transfer maps I've looked at regarding LA 182 seemed to indicate they want to truncate the northern half of LA 182 to Broussard and retire everything north of US 90 Exit 115... At least they did until US 167 was rerouted.

I updated OpenStreetMap to reflect the changes. I also noticed that LA 182-1 and LA 182-2 are no longer active either and US 90 Business is gone as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.