News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2023 Ohio Road Meet; 4 Columbus (April 15)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, November 28, 2022, 01:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Might as well start my own thread for my own meet.
I think I'm locked in for April 15th due to meets ahead of me (plus some of the locations I want to show I need to get to before the vegetation awakens for the year)
Points of interest for this 4th round of "Ann Arbor South" sites include...

• I-70/71 innerbelt reconstruction, ongoing & completed from the west split (I-70/71/Oh315) to the east split (70/71) up to Ft. Hayes (I-670/71)
  • The rebuilt I-71/270/Stringtown Road interchanges
  • Bridges & Ravines of Clintonville, particularly the Glen Echo Ravine & Beachwold (where the original Columbus Zoo once stood) neighborhoods
  • Revisit I-270/US 23/Oh 315 interchanges

Other locations could be added.
FB page won't be created till the start of 2023
Lunch location won't be decided on till around St. Patricks Day.
I might add a couple of related events on Friday & Saturday night (more later)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

I cannot wait to get a selfie at the shoe.   :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

signalman

This is my birthday weekend, so attending a meet (and a small accompanying road trip) would be a nice gift to myself. I've also never attended a Columbus meet, so that also makes this rather attractive to me. I am absolutely interested.

bandit957

There's still a chance I might go, but only if poo.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jpi

I may be in Columbus the weekend before for a BIG Hot Wheels convention so we shall see
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jpi on December 02, 2022, 03:16:54 PM
I may be in Columbus the weekend before for a BIG Hot Wheels convention so we shall see
Columbus?! I know you do a Hot Wheels convention in Dayton (twice a year), but I didn't know that Central Ohio had one.

jpi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 02, 2022, 04:48:13 PM
Quote from: jpi on December 02, 2022, 03:16:54 PM
Columbus?! I know you do a Hot Wheels convention in Dayton (twice a year), but I didn't know that Central Ohio had one.
That hot wheels convention in Dayton and is technically a diecast toy show, this convention in Columbus is a BIG multi day event held at a nice hotel (not sure which one yet) and brings in people from all over the world
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

andrepoiy

I could consider coming, although the date seems to be within my exam period, so that sucks

Great Lakes Roads

I am thinking about attending this road meet as Columbus is only 4.5-5 hours away from where I live.

jpi

Well, looks like I may have a better shot at this meet, the convention sold out already and I was too late, will know for sure if I (and possibly Steph) can attend  next month
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Well, interesting turn of events, looks like I am going to that hot wheels convention after all the weekend before this, just now got my confirmation, have fun guys!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

signalman

My time off request has been submitted at work. My boss didn't foresee any reason why she'd deny the request, so count me in.

Also, Sandor, are you aware that guests can't post to your event on Facebook? Was this by design or an oversight on your part? Just curious.

bandit957

I'm making plans. I just booked a motel in Columbus.

bandit957

I'm going Greyhound again. The trip is booked.

Only 88 days until the roadmeet to end all roadmeets!

74/171FAN

Just reserved my hotel as well. Why am I reserving a hotel for this trip and not the Florida one in March first?  I do not know.  I guess blame the supply chain.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: signalman on January 17, 2023, 05:37:35 PM
My time off request has been submitted at work. My boss didn't foresee any reason why she'd deny the request, so count me in.

Also, Sandor, are you aware that guests can't post to your event on Facebook? Was this by design or an oversight on your part? Just curious.

Oversight. Didn't realize there was a problem. I'll work to correct it.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: signalman on January 17, 2023, 05:37:35 PM

I believe it is fixed now. Let me know otherwise.

Laura

I'd like to attend this. I'm waiting to hear what's going on for sure with my nephew's birthday before I commit either way.

FYI the Ohio State Spring Game is this same day - hopefully it doesn't conflict with the meet.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Laura on February 03, 2023, 03:07:33 PM
FYI the Ohio State Spring Game is this same day - hopefully it doesn't conflict with the meet.

Shouldn't interfere with lunch. Might cause a rise in hotel prices, for that weekend. Likely to cause me to skip the OSU oval. Should keep 74/171 from getting his horseshoe selfie.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 03, 2023, 08:23:57 PM

Shouldn't interfere with lunch. Might cause a rise in hotel prices, for that weekend. Likely to cause me to skip the OSU oval. Should keep 74/171 from getting his horseshoe selfie.

I plan to be in Columbus on Thursday so maybe I just have to push it earlier.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 03, 2023, 08:25:48 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 03, 2023, 08:23:57 PM

I plan to be in Columbus on Thursday so maybe I just have to push it earlier.

In all seriousness, other than Saturday (pretend game day), you can get next to the stadium anytime you want (unless you want inside the stadium)

Alps

I'd like to attend this. I'm waiting to hear what's going on for sure with my nephew's birthday before I commit either way.

hopefully michigan wins

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Finally got around to working on this yesterday.
Unless the head count triples or quadruples from where its at (5), lunch will be held at Tommy's Diner (http://www.tommysdiner.com/) on W. Broad St. in Franklinton, starting at 11:30 AM.
Those that don't want to eat, the tour starts at 1 PM.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1WGcfMp9zeGh3kxqTk8isEvdkbnX0DLU&usp=sharing
Stops/sites will include....
Construction sites for ramps to & from Fulton St to the 70/71 West Split (the concrete towers)
Old berm for Whittier St
The rebuilt I-71/270/Stringtown Road interchanges
The (half) finished interchange work for I-70/71 east split
Thurber Village & Spring St. bridge Park
Overview of the I-670/71 interchange (or what we can see from the Columbus St. Univ. parking lot)
Maybe the original piers of the 4th St. bridge over I-670 & the old railyard that 670 replaced
High St through the Short North & some of the OSU campus
Iuka Ravine
Wallhala Ravine
Old Beechwald (original Columbus Zoo)
I-270/US 23/Oh 315 interchanges (certainly from the southside along Wilson Bridge Rd)
---
I think I can keep this tour to 5 hours

bandit957

Is there any sort of official lodging for this event? I've already been booked for months, but I'm just wondering.

74/171FAN

Quote from: bandit957 on April 13, 2023, 03:36:35 PM
Is there any sort of official lodging for this event? I've already been booked for months, but I'm just wondering.

I have never heard of such a thing for any meet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.