News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Jay Bienvenu's designs and concepts

Started by jbnv, August 25, 2019, 10:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Designs of my own creation. Some of these I posted earlier in the old Redesigning State Shields thread.

Mexico Federal Highway

Mississippi

Rhode Island #1 (based on the state license plate; I need to redo this in SVG)

Rhode Island #2

Oklahoma (I'm not a fan of the meat cleaver)

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jbnv

Two concepts for Connecticut: A shape concept (really crude stretch) and a Minnesota-style concept.

Connecticut Shape Shield Concept by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

Connecticut "Minnesota-Style" Shield Concept by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hotdogPi

I don't like the CT state outline. Also, anything above 400 should be unsigned.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

paulthemapguy

Hoping the Mississippi design has a wider 30×24 variant.  I like the idea of adding more Minnesota-style concepts to different states with boring squares/circles.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jbnv

Quote from: 1 on August 28, 2019, 09:24:16 PM
I don't like the CT state outline.

It didn't come out anywhere nearly as well as I imagined it. I'm just getting into SVG design, so I will probably tweak it.

Quote from: 1 on August 28, 2019, 09:24:16 PM
Also, anything above 400 should be unsigned.

It's just a number for demo purposes.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 29, 2019, 09:40:08 AM
Hoping the Mississippi design has a wider 30×24 variant.

I haven't made wide variants for these designs yet. Personally, I'm not big on wide variants, and I think the concept with the Mississippi logo can work as a Texas-style layout without being wide. But that's just me.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 29, 2019, 09:40:08 AM
I like the idea of adding more Minnesota-style concepts to different states with boring squares/circles.

I can crank out some of those.

Alex

Quote from: jbnv on August 28, 2019, 08:05:14 PM
Two concepts for Connecticut: A shape concept (really crude stretch) and a Minnesota-style concept.

Connecticut Shape Shield Concept by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

ctsignguy designed a similar style sign for Connecticut several years ago and formally pitched the idea to ConnDOT. While they did not use it, we did add his design as a message icon option for Connecticut Roads here on the forum:

jbnv

If I were put in charge of LaDOTD, I'd create an inventory of state, parish and city routes to report on road conditions and construction, allow public commentary and requests for work, etc. I would assign separate numbers for each segment of each route, so that the inventory is the roads themselves and not the "LA" route designations. (So long state highways would consist of several inventoried segments.)

Here is the shield to indicate those segments. Since Louisiana has a history of using the standard pentagon, I'm making use of it here. I'm assuming that the few parishes remaining that maintain their own numberings for parish roads would abandon those numberings for this system, so that there is no confusion.

The word "PARISH" would be replaced by "STATE" or "CITY" to indicate who is maintaining the road. I used the remaining space on the sign to add the program name and URL. I figure that once the program had been around for a while, the words "Louisiana Road Inventory" would be replaced with an appropriate logo.

(The colors are accidental; they converted improperly when I converted the file from SVG to PNG.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.